SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Moving from Texas to Virginia. - Anything i Need to Know
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Moving from Texas to Virginia. - Anything i Need to Know Login/Join 
Picture of ky wonder
posted Hide Post
if they flattened all them mountains, out, Texas would no longer be the second biggest state in the union, the old dominion has a lot of ground standing on its edge

Posts: 7 | Location: Horse cave ky | Registered: February 02, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ky wonder
posted Hide Post
of course you could stop here in ky, the libs mistake our local gun range for a war zone in Syria, when in fact we were just warming up our reception for Beto's first attempt at taking our squirrel rifles

Posts: 7 | Location: Horse cave ky | Registered: February 02, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
^^^^

You may be new here, and unaware that injecting "political statements" into a non-political thread is a general no-no. Please don't take this too harshly, but removing your 10:05 PM post might be a good idea.

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
I will simply point out that West (by God) Virginia is right next door. Big Grin

Posts: 3804 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
^^^ And there's no harm in that.

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
Wife and I are looking at house and land out by Charles town already

quote:
Originally posted by VictimNoMore:
I will simply point out that West (by God) Virginia is right next door. Big Grin

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:

Berkeley county is an excellent choice.

Posts: 3804 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately it has to be Jefferson county

The VA home loan allowance in Jefferson county is nearly double that of Berkeley county (as well as the rest of the state)

All of west Virginia has the minimum allowance for a VA home loan....except Jefferson county

quote:
Originally posted by VictimNoMore:
quote:

Berkeley county is an excellent choice.

——————————————————

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We lost. Stay in Texas

——————————————————

posted Hide Post
quote:
We lost. Stay in Texas

I'm shattered...nothing over 10 rounds (or less, if they could) and no grandfathering. The Democrat party's 'gun safety' legislation in Virginia is going to be the most restrictive in the nation - making Kalifornia, NY, Chicago, and Maryland a dream (how sad is that?).

I suppose lesser rounds of more power are in order (44 mag, 460/500 S&W, or 454 perhaps)…I'm only half kidding...

Posts: 558 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The legislation also prohibits (with no grandfathering) the possession of any handgun weighing more than 50oz, which makes my son's .44 Desert Eagle completely illegal. I don't know how to break the news to him.

Posts: 558 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
We lost. Stay in Texas

I saw that at 05:00 this morning. Contemplating what to do. Already accepted the new position and quit the other. No job, if I do not move. Currently, house hunting in Virginia, which now seems like a waste of time. Absolutely heartbroken. As I said, I have seen firsthand what total Leftist control can do to a state. I want no part of it... Northam seems to be a despotic tyrant just like Cuomo.

Posts: 2032 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by burnetma:
quote:
We lost. Stay in Texas

I saw that at 05:00 this morning. Contemplating what to do. Already accepted the new position and quit the other. No job, if I do not move. Currently, house hunting in Virginia, which now seems like a waste of time. Absolutely heartbroken. As I said, I have seen firsthand what total Leftist control can do to a state. I want no part of it... Northam seems to be a despotic tyrant just like Cuomo.

The slow, inexorable spread of communism. Governor Blackface was giddy about the state "turning blue" (which I always find disingenuous).

My family (daughter, SIL & grandkids) live in Virginia. I can't bear the thought of leaving them, so I'm torn between losing my rights and being taxed to death and having no one local.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
We lost. Stay in Texas

Northam was the hand picked replacement,

picked by McAuliffe, a yankee

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SteadyHand:
The legislation also prohibits (with no grandfathering) the possession of any handgun weighing more than 50oz, which makes my son's .44 Desert Eagle completely illegal. I don't know how to break the news to him.

Not that there's any logic behind most gun laws, but what can possibly be the point of that? Are they targeting AR pistols? What are they going to do about such weapons that people already own?

Posts: 8415 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
quote:
Originally posted by SteadyHand:

Not that there's any logic behind most gun laws, but what can possibly be the point of that? Are they targeting AR pistols? What are they going to do about such weapons that people already own?

According to the written legislation, the current owners will have about 9 months to 'turn in' or otherwise sell/dispose of or render inoperable such firearms (and 10+ mags)...past that point, it would be a Class 6 gun felony to even possess them anywhere in the state, including your home. In other words, no grandfathering.

As far as the 50oz rule on handguns, I believe that was directed specifically at Desert Eagle guns, because AR-type handguns are dealt with in a different part of the legislation.

It's my understanding, talking with others at the NRA range, the Dems are using Virginia as a shining symbol for what they are capable of doing - bragging rights - and their favorite part is the non-grandfathering. By making possession a felony, they are truly coming after the guns/magazines.

What are others in Virginia planning on doing? For me, I plan to abide by the law for fear of a felony charge - VA's legal system is quite unforgiving. Three fourths of my collection is centered on hi-capacity. Had I known, I would have spent the money on better single-stacks and wheel guns of larger caliber.

posted Hide Post
I am leaving

I too will likely comply initially for fear of a felony.

I live in NoVA which is like living in the Bronx for the Safe act, so I’m in the area most likely to see prosecutions

I have 10 round magazines already for all my pistols

Everything else will be sent out of state to a buddy until I move

The real complication is my NFA stuff

——————————————————

The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
burnetma, one good thing about our useless gov. is that he can only serve one consecutive term so will not be the next gov.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1856 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1lowlife:
quote:
BTW, Texas is not the gun friendly sanctuary some would have you believe. The laws and fees are onerous, especially to obtain a concealed carry permit. Further, the State is one election away from being in the same boat and there is a well funded machine pushing it from purple to blue. Beto & Willie Nelson are examples of native Texas pushing the agenda.

Beto?
Seriously?

Willie will be dead in 2 years or less, and what influence does that pothead have over Texas firearm laws and regulations..

As a 57 year Texan I never felt the laws and fees are onerous.
$140 for an LTC and $70 renewal every 5 years with no renewal class?
I can walk into a LGS, buy whatever I want, and walk out in 3 minutes with an LTC..
No FOID card, no wait, no BS, no nothing.
I can also buy or sell privately with another resident with no red tape, no FFL, no record or registration of owning said firearm..
Nothing like the NY state you previously escaped from.
Ever research getting a carry permit in NYC?

I welcome you back to TEXAS after your commitment to Virginia.
Doesn't seem like the utopia you thought is was going to be..

Good luck in Virginia and we'll see you in a few years........... Big Grin

It is $40 for the original application fee, and $40 for renewal. I don't find this "onerous" at all. Abbott signed the bill to reduce LTC fees several years ago. He also has signed a bunch of pro gun laws since he took office.

Beto does not represent Texas, not by a long shot. He is done here. And what does Willie Nelson have to do with any of this? Texas is not "one election" away from turning into a "blue state".

Right now, TX is a fairly solid red state, with a decent Republican governor, Lt Governor, attorney general, and Republican state commissioners. Republicans also have majorities in both state house and senate, and the majority of House of Reps in DC. Both U.S. senators are Republican, and I expect Cornyn to be re-elected next year, with Cruz finishing his first year of a 6 year term.

I really don't see this as "purple" at all.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In reading the Virginia legislation, there will be no more AR or AK-style rifles/handguns.

That's a TON of AR/AK rifles that need to be dealt with in Virginia.