SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Moving from Texas to Virginia. - Anything i Need to Know
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Moving from Texas to Virginia. - Anything i Need to Know Login/Join 
posted
So, the Mrs and I will be moving from Deep East Texas to the greater Richmond Virginia area. Anything I need to know before I make the move?

Texas & Virginia share reciprocity, but when I get my VA permit, I will lose my home state of PA. Any other pitfalls?

I have read the handgunlaw website.

Posts: 2032 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Take lots of pictures of Texas, open spaces and sunshine - you're going to miss them.

I spent 6 years in VA then I moved to Houston and thought I was in heaven.

If you are interested in Civil War history you are going to the right place. Plan to visit all the battlefields from Appomattox to Gettysburg.

armadill0

Posts: 35 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: April 01, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Didn't you move to Texas in the past 2 or 3 years ? That was short lived.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Lounge topic anyhow.. Wink

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Green top in Ashland off route 1 will be your new home for firearms... Forearms too Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CQB60,

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
Green top in Ashland off route 1 will be your new home for forearms...

What about his legs...? Wink

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Richmond is a nice area. It was in the doldrums a few years ago, and many of the historic buildings were being razed to make way for parking garages. But there's a new scene for cuisine and arts, and you can find plenty of places to find entertainment.

Sadly, the Old Dominion is turning blue. It's already purple, thanks largely to the influx of commies moving into the northern part of the state. And, since most of the state's funding comes from the NoVa area, the influence is spreading like a virus.

Personally, I like Virginia. I like the rolling hills, the four seasons, the colonial history, and the still constitutional open carry and concealed carry rights.

I'm fond of saying the "real" Virginia begins south of Manassas. If you want to see how the communists run things, pay a visit to NoVa.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SecurityGeek
posted Hide Post
There are actually four (4) distinct seasons of the year, each with its own weather.

"How old would you be if you didn't know how old you was?"

- Satchel Paige

Posts: 194 | Location: Little Elm, Texas | Registered: April 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
Richmond is a nice area. It was in the doldrums a few years ago, and many of the historic buildings were being razed to make way for parking garages. But there's a new scene for cuisine and arts, and you can find plenty of places to find entertainment.

Sadly, the Old Dominion is turning blue. It's already purple, thanks largely to the influx of commies moving into the northern part of the state. And, since most of the state's funding comes from the NoVa area, the influence is spreading like a virus.

Personally, I like Virginia. I like the rolling hills, the four seasons, the colonial history, and the still constitutional open carry and concealed carry rights.

I'm fond of saying the "real" Virginia begins south of Manassas. If you want to see how the communists run things, pay a visit to NoVa.

Couldn't have summed it up better than this. Don't sever all ties with Texas...you might find wanting to go back at some point.

Posts: 819 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
First of all, welcome to Virginia. Like most states, it has its bad points .

Richmond, has a lot of amenities, that many other cities in Virigina doesn't have. It's not as bad as Northern Virginia, but is rapidly changing to a liberal bent.

Do take some trips to the western parts of the state when you can, the scenery will be very pretty, such as in Bath and Highland Counties, and Hungry Mother State Park at Marion , Va.

I think Virginia's stength lies in its rural towns and localities.

I wish you the best on your move here.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
This is a great time of year to see the Blue Ridge Parkway!

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
Didn't you move to Texas in the past 2 or 3 years ? That was short lived.

4-1/2 years flew by in a blink of an eye. Great job opportunity in VA I just cannot pass up.

Posts: 2032 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
Green top in Ashland off route 1 will be your new home for firearms... Forearms too Wink

I will check it out. Thank you.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:

Richmond, has a lot of amenities, that many other cities in Virigina doesn't have. It's not as bad as Northern Virginia, but is rapidly changing to a liberal bent.

Do take some trips to the western parts of the state when you can, the scenery will be very pretty, such as in Bath and Highland Counties, and Hungry Mother State Park at Marion , Va.

Thank you.

I worked all over the western 1/3 of Virginia in the early 1990s and loved it there. Especially, Abingdon and Bristol. A lot has changed and I had only visited Richmond twice before (1975 & 2017). Not enough to get a real feel for the area.

I assure you that we bring real conservative values with us.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:

We will do our part to keep the State red. We know what is at stake.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
Lounge topic anyhow.. Wink

You are correct. How do I get it moved?

Picture of RoverSig
posted Hide Post
Welcome to Virginia!

The VA Gun Trader <vaguntrader.com> is a valued state-wide source of information as well as forums for selling/buying guns and related items.

In VA you can buy or sell guns with any VA resident with two means of I.D., but if selling it is wise to ask for a VA CCW permit + DL or take the sale to a FFL for them to do the NCIS check.

I'm not campaigning here for "name checks" but I am pointing out it is a good idea to confirm who you are selling to because Maryland and the District have 1) lots of "gun control" laws and 2) very high rates of crime involving guns. Criminals from those areas come south to illegally obtain weapons, sometimes with false I.D.s. (Such miscreants will more than likely demur on buying a gun from you if you suggest going to FFL for a name check).

Posts: 1597 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: June 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
Welcome to Virginia

Be prepared for gun laws in the commonwealth to be more restrictive than New York or California next July 1 (when the new code...laws..take effect)

The gun laws the Democrats proposed at the special session on gun violence our asshole governor called into session this past July would have been the most restrictive and onerous in the country. The only reason it did not pass is because the republican controlled legislature shut it down

As it stands, the republicans hold a 2 seat majority in the house, and a 1 seat majority in the senate

All of the seats in both the house and senate are up for election in 10 days

The Supreme Court handed the Democrats a victory and mandated Virginia adopt a district voting map favorable to Democrats.

It is expected the Democrats will win a majority in both houses and control the legislature and the governor

When that happens there is nothing to stop them from passing the whole she-bang...assault weapons ban, magazine restrictions, the end of preemption, no grandfather clause, ammo bans, bans on suppressors and NFA items,mandatory background checks, limit to one handgun a month, you name it, they are going to do it. Everything I just mentioned they have openly said they will implement immediately if they win the legislature in 3 weeks.

No, this is not chicken little bullshit...anyone who tells you this isn’t a real danger has not read the bills they have proposed, and hasn’t been listening to what the Democrats have openly said they will do

I would stay in Texas

I own a business here with a commercial lease through 2023, and kids in 11th, 8th and 2nd grade. I’m stuck

Last week my wife and I looked at property in Jefferson County West Virginia...it will mean a commute of over an hour to the business (we live across the street from it right now) and leaving the house I’ve been in for almost 14 years

But I will do it

Virginia is gone. It went to Obama twice, and Hilary in the last election. It gave you Tim Kaine, and Terry McAuliffe.

If you value the second amendment stay in Texas. Seriously. If the republicans somehow maintain a majority in the house and senate and hold this off, it’s only a matter of time..if not 2019 then 2021 or 2023...Virginia will be worse than New York

Here is a list of the bills proposed in July

https://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-b...p604.exe?192+lst+ALL

Make sure you have your air sickness bag handy while you read them

Pay particular attention to this one

https://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-b...4.exe?192+sum+HB4021

Note it mandates the destruction, disposal or turning in of any item mentioned in th4 bill by next July 1, or its a felony. No grandfathering. It is a class 6 felony to possess after July 1. So every glock magazine you have is a class 6 felony. Every AR mag. You see where I’m going...

Most of the people I trust say there is roughly an 85% chance the Democrats win both chambers and laws like those become reality

Oh, and just for shits and giggles, I will throw this out there. If this happens there is nothing to stop the governor from calling another emergency session and passing all of these bills into law overnight just like they did in Mew York with the SAFE act. You could have New York style gun control in Virginia before Christmas.

Welcome to the commonwealth.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kevbo,

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by burnetma:
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:

Thank you.

I worked all over the western 1/3 of Virginia in the early 1990s and loved it there. Especially, Abingdon and Bristol. A lot has changed and I had only visited Richmond twice before (1975 & 2017). Not enough to get a real feel for the area.

I assure you that we bring real conservative values with us.

I have no doubts of your values, I wish more Virginians possessed them.
I am glad you have knowledge of western Virginia.
As a native Virginian, In my later years, just sad seeing my state turn liberal due to the influence of Northern Va, and the influence of liberal colleges and universities.

So many cities and areas in Virginia have turned into pockets of entitlement now.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran of the
Psychic Wars
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:
Welcome to Virginia

Be prepared for gun laws in the commonwealth to be more restrictive than New York or California next July 1 (when the new code...laws..take effect)

The gun laws the Democrats proposed at the special session on gun violence our asshole governor called into session this past July would have been the most restrictive and onerous in the country. The only reason it did not pass is because the republican controlled legislature shut it down

As it stands, the republicans hold a 2 seat majority in the house, and a 1 seat majority in the senate

All of the seats in both the house and senate are up for election in 10 days

The Supreme Court handed the Democrats a victory and mandated Virginia adopt a district voting map favorable to Democrats.

It is expected the Democrats will win a majority in both houses and control the legislature and the governor

When that happens there is nothing to stop them from passing the whole she-bang...assault weapons ban, magazine restrictions, the end of preemption, no grandfather clause, ammo bans, bans on suppressors and NFA items,mandatory background checks, limit to one handgun a month, you name it, they are going to do it. Everything I just mentioned they have openly said they will implement immediately if they win the legislature in 3 weeks.

No, this is not chicken little bullshit...anyone who tells you this isn’t a real danger has not read the bills they have proposed, and hasn’t been listening to what the Democrats have openly said they will do

I would stay in Texas

I own a business here with a commercial lease through 2023, and kids in 11th, 8th and 2nd grade. I’m stuck

Last week my wife and I looked at property in Jefferson County West Virginia...it will mean a commute of over an hour to the business (we live across the street from it right now) and leaving the house I’ve been in for almost 14 years

But I will do it

Virginia is gone. It went to Obama twice, and Hilary in the last election. It gave you Tim Kaine, and Terry McAuliffe.

If you value the second amendment stay in Texas. Seriously. If the republicans somehow maintain a majority in the house and senate and hold this off, it’s only a matter of time..if not 2019 then 2021 or 2023...Virginia will be worse than New York

Here is a list of the bills proposed in July

https://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-b...p604.exe?192+lst+ALL

Make sure you have your air sickness bag handy while you read them

Pay particular attention to this one

https://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-b...4.exe?192+sum+HB4021

Note it mandates the destruction, disposal or turning in of any item mentioned in th4 bill by next July 1, or its a felony. No grandfathering. It is a class 6 felony to possess after July 1. So every glock magazine you have is a class 6 felony. Every AR mag. You see where I’m going...

Most of the people I trust say there is roughly an 85% chance the Democrats win both chambers and laws like those become reality

Oh, and just for shits and giggles, I will throw this out there. If this happens there is nothing to stop the governor from calling another emergency session and passing all of these bills into law overnight just like they did in Mew York with the SAFE act. You could have New York style gun control in Virginia before Christmas.

Welcome to the commonwealth.

^^^^^^^
This, in spades.

I have lived in Va for 23 yrs (came from the Peoples Republik of Illinois.

I love it here in VA, however, it will go blue and if you are a black rifle owner, it will suck.

I have voted, donated time, money, etc. to Pro 2A candidates and organizations and it is to no avail. Too many folks from NY and NJ moving down and most (not all) of them vote Dem/anti-gun.

I retire next year and I am going elsewhere.

Posts: 1294 | Location: The end of the Earth... | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post