SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Moving from Texas to Virginia. - Anything i Need to Know
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Moving from Texas to Virginia. - Anything i Need to Know Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
You have to be kidding me on these Bills being implemented in Virginia.

Turn in of all 'large capacity' magazines? Seriously?

I'm suddenly sick to my stomach. I just retired from 30 years of military service and chose Virginia (Fredericksburg) as my permanent retirement. Sick as bloody *ell I am.

Posts: 558 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE}
Turn in of all 'large capacity' magazines? Seriously?[/QUOTE]

I don't own any, I'm sure you don't either.
I know the commies are taking over Northern Virginia, but there are parts of Virginia that have no intention of following the orders of the northern Virginia communists.

Posts: 1101 | Location: Toano, Va.  | Registered: January 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
quote:
Originally posted by burnetma:
quote:
First of all, welcome to Virginia. Like most states, it has its bad points .

Richmond, has a lot of amenities, that many other cities in Virigina doesn't have. It's not as bad as Northern Virginia, but is rapidly changing to a liberal bent.

Do take some trips to the western parts of the state when you can, the scenery will be very pretty, such as in Bath and Highland Counties, and Hungry Mother State Park at Marion , Va.

I think Virginia's stength lies in its rural towns and localities.

I wish you the best on your move here.

Thank you.

I worked all over the western 1/3 of Virginia in the early 1990s and loved it there. Especially, Abingdon and Bristol. A lot has changed and I had only visited Richmond twice before (1975 & 2017). Not enough to get a real feel for the area.

I assure you that we bring real conservative values with us.

I have no doubts of your values, I wish more Virginians possessed them.
I am glad you have knowledge of western Virginia.
As a native Virginian, In my later years, just sad seeing my state turn liberal due to the influence of Northern Va, and the influence of liberal colleges and universities.

So many cities and areas in Virginia have turned into pockets of entitlement now.

WOW! This is not what I was expecting in Virginia. Admittedly, I do not follow the politics of the State. Maybe I should have or maybe I am going right where I need to be for unknown reasons. I have already made a two year commitment and there is no turning back now.

I always felt shitty for leaving Upstate NY after fighting Cuomo's reign of terror for only three or so years. I said I would return if the State were successful in division. However, maybe my fight is in VA or back in my home state of PA. One can only run so far before you run out of free spaces. Eventually, you have to make a stand.

PS. I know what Democrat rule over a state looks like from CA & NY. VA cannot allow this to happen.

Posts: 2032 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At least VA has this in the State Constitution:
Section 13. Militia; standing armies; military subordinate to civil power.
That a well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state, therefore, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed; that standing armies, in time of peace, should be avoided as dangerous to liberty; and that in all cases the military should be under strict subordination to, and governed by, the civil power.

Posts: 2032 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

PS. I know what Democrat rule over a state looks like from CA & NY. VA cannot allow this to happen.

I've been in Virginia for 16+ years (3 military assignments in D.C. and Pentagon) and now just retired this month. Bottom line: it's happening. So, so, sad. The Democrat/Liberal tidal wave seems to be unstoppable. I had not known about these anti-gun bills before today, and now seeing them in print, I am convinced these will pass into law soon. My entire outlook just changed for the worse, and I am a happy/peachy kind of guy (always have been - this is a life-turning point)

Posts: 558 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
BTW, Texas is not the gun friendly sanctuary some would have you believe. The laws and fees are onerous, especially to obtain a concealed carry permit. Further, the State is one election away from being in the same boat and there is a well funded machine pushing it from purple to blue. Beto & Willie Nelson are examples of native Texas pushing the agenda.

Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
If you're a Virginia gun owner, you owe it to yourself to subscribe to VCDL's free email alerts to keep you up to date on what is happening in Virginia. You don't need to be a member, but if you can afford the 25 bucks it does a lot of good.

They won't sell your information and they almost never ask for money.
https://www.vcdl.org/va-alert

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I hope I didn't paint a totally desolate and discouraging post about Virginia.

I think the larger percentagw of Virginianns support the Second Amendment, it's the urban areas , as usual that present the larger anti-Second Amendment sentiment.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
For the second amendment it is desolate and discouraging

We are literally on our last stand.

Even if Virginians are able to regain the majority after the Democrats do their damage this year, we will NEVER again have a republican governor somlong as DC and NoVA are what they are

So once these laws go on the books, barring judicial action which could literally take a decade, they are there to stay beyond gaining a large enough legislative majority to override a veto

It’s that simple

Win now, or you’re done.

quote:
I hope I didn't paint a totally desolate and discouraging post about Virginia.

I think the larger percentagw of Virginianns support the Second Amendment, it's the urban areas , as usual that present the larger anti-Second Amendment sentiment.

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
Virginia is very close to turning blue. If you live in VA, vote Nov. 5.

Culpeper County voters be sure you know which district you are in !!!!

If you live in the 18th House district, vote for Mike Webert. Mike is worried because part of Culpeper County is the 18th, his district, and the rest is Nick Freitas' district. With the write in campaign for Nick, he's worried somebody might write in Nick's name in the 18th district and he will lose votes from well meaning voters.

If you are in the 30th, remember to write in Nick Freitas. Be sure you have the write in block for the 30th House district, fill in the bubble and write in Nick Freitas.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RoverSig
posted Hide Post
As another VA resident, I hate to see what is happening.

Many of the laws being proposed are really just harassment of lawful gun owners, not attempts (ill-advised or otherwise) to keep guns out of the hands of criminals and crazy people.

Posts: 1597 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: June 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I moved to Virginia about 15 years ago. I moved from Maryland to get out from under the thumb of the MD. Democrat party. I grew up in Maryland and was sick of it being run by Baltimore and the Washington, D.C. suburbs. Can you imagine knowing that no matter how hard you worked to get him out, Steny Hoyer was always going to be your Congressman? I tell everyone I am a political refugee. I am praying the Dems do not get control of the legislature. If you get to VA, join the VCDL, come to lobby day and be sure to vote.

Posts: 617 | Location: northern VA. | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
Richmond is a nice area. It was in the doldrums a few years ago, and many of the historic buildings were being razed to make way for parking garages. But there's a new scene for cuisine and arts, and you can find plenty of places to find entertainment.

Sadly, the Old Dominion is turning blue. It's already purple, thanks largely to the influx of commies moving into the northern part of the state. And, since most of the state's funding comes from the NoVa area, the influence is spreading like a virus.

Personally, I like Virginia. I like the rolling hills, the four seasons, the colonial history, and the still constitutional open carry and concealed carry rights.

I'm fond of saying the "real" Virginia begins south of Manassas. If you want to see how the communists run things, pay a visit to NoVa.

RVA born, Chesterfield Resident,

the Mason Dixon line is now somewhere just south of Ashland,,,,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RoverSig:
Welcome to Virginia!

The VA Gun Trader <vaguntrader.com> is a valued state-wide source of information as well as forums for selling/buying guns and related items.

In VA you can buy or sell guns with any VA resident with two means of I.D., but if selling it is wise to ask for a VA CCW permit + DL or take the sale to a FFL for them to do the NCIS check.

I'm not campaigning here for "name checks" but I am pointing out it is a good idea to confirm who you are selling to because Maryland and the District have 1) lots of "gun control" laws and 2) very high rates of crime involving guns. Criminals from those areas come south to illegally obtain weapons, sometimes with false I.D.s. (Such miscreants will more than likely demur on buying a gun from you if you suggest going to FFL for a name check).

a Va Resident can buy a firearm with just one form of ID (valid Drivers license) as long as the address is correct,

the 2nd form of ID for Va Residents was dropped a couple years ago,

out of state residents still need 2

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
quote:
BTW, Texas is not the gun friendly sanctuary some would have you believe. The laws and fees are onerous, especially to obtain a concealed carry permit. Further, the State is one election away from being in the same boat and there is a well funded machine pushing it from purple to blue. Beto & Willie Nelson are examples of native Texas pushing the agenda.

Beto?
Seriously?

Willie will be dead in 2 years or less, and what influence does that pothead have over Texas firearm laws and regulations..

As a 57 year Texan I never felt the laws and fees are onerous.
$140 for an LTC and $70 renewal every 5 years with no renewal class?
I can walk into a LGS, buy whatever I want, and walk out in 3 minutes with an LTC..
No FOID card, no wait, no BS, no nothing.
I can also buy or sell privately with another resident with no red tape, no FFL, no record or registration of owning said firearm..
Nothing like the NY state you previously escaped from.
Ever research getting a carry permit in NYC?

I welcome you back to TEXAS after your commitment to Virginia.
Doesn't seem like the utopia you thought is was going to be..

Good luck in Virginia and we'll see you in a few years........... Big Grin

Posts: 4354 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not for nothing, but if Liberal Democrats are able to enact Virginia law that effectively makes 'possessing' a high-capacity magazine a class 6 felony, then 80% of my gun collection would probably change, because I wouldn't like to have a double stack full size loaded with 10 rounds.

Single stacks like 1911s, Sig P210s, and Ruger .22lr make better sense. But, large-frame double stacks like 226s, Beretta 92, and Glocks start to be silly when maxed out at 10 rounds.

Perhaps it's time to re-examine the sensibility of buying and carrying 8-round .357 revolvers, or 6-round .44mag revolvers?? 500/460 S&W maybe...

What miffs me most is the non-grandfather clause...if not for that, I could buy a crate full of 15-20 round mags and be all set.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Turn them in???

Come get em.... Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1lowlife:
quote:

Beto?
Seriously?

Willie will be dead in 2 years or less, and what influence does that pothead have over Texas firearm laws and regulations..

As a 57 year Texan I never felt the laws and fees are onerous.
$140 for an LTC and $70 renewal every 5 years with no renewal class?
I can walk into a LGS, buy whatever I want, and walk out in 3 minutes with an LTC..
No FOID card, no wait, no BS, no nothing.
I can also buy or sell privately with another resident with no red tape, no FFL, no record or registration of owning said firearm..
Nothing like the NY state you previously escaped from.
Ever research getting a carry permit in NYC?

I welcome you back to TEXAS after your commitment to Virginia.
Doesn't seem like the utopia you thought is was going to be..

Good luck in Virginia and we'll see you in a few years........... Big Grin

Like it or not, Beto & Willie have more name and face recognition than any state politician in Texas. They also have national microphones that reached millions with their nonsensical collectivist ideas, all while using the Texas flag as a backdrop. Drug addled/mentally defective or not, they do reach the public.

My other point is times are changing in Texas. The state is one election away from disaster just like Virginia. Like it or not, we are losing the demographics war, especially in the big cities all across the USA. The number of families engaged in hunting and shooting sports is a shrinking minority. Now, our Lt Governor is pushing FOR more gun control and Gov. Abbott has entertained Red Flag Laws. I have lived through the destruction of a state and I am watching the potential fall of others. I know the pain & frustration. There is no safe harbor.

Texas still has a licensing process and an expensive one at that. About time you pay for the class, the licensing process, and ammo, you have about $200 in that permission slip. To some people that is pocket change, but to others that is prohibitive. Many states have gone Constitutional Carry, as it should be. Others have waved fees and some others are nominal fees like my home state of Pennsylvania, $11 CCW fee with no classes or test and less than 1 day wait. My Unrestricted NY permit was the same cost & class requirements as Texas. So, you see it is a matter of perspective.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: burnetma,

posted Hide Post
Talk about Red Flag laws, I made the mistake of calling the veterans help line one day at work (Dec 28th). Mind you, an extremely close high school friend (platonic) had just been raped/murdered by a semi-homeless/drug addled thug in a high-profile D.C. crime on Christmas day and I was truly at rock bottom. The call did not go well and that evening, several county sheriffs were at my home door....I'll never reach out to a professional for such a talk for as long as I live. They asked 20-questions about my weapons. I forgot to mention the massive amount of landscaping tools in my shed that could easily have better armed most medieval armies.

I understand the notion behind Red Flag laws; however, the knee jerk reactions from hypersensitive professionals are a problem. It's more likely going to keep those in need from ever whispering ANYTHING that could be bothering them emotionally...bottle it up, burry it deep, or lose your firearms. But keep your chainsaws, pick-axes, and various sundry of lethal lumberjack 'weapons.' Rest in Peace, Virginia...if I was a girl, I'd wear a black veil in your honor.

In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
I’m sorry that happened to you, brother

If it ever gets down to that again my email is in my profile. I get not wanting to ever call. But you’re not alone.

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post