SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    The finest Beretta 92 of all time?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The finest Beretta 92 of all time? Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
I've owned two and sold both. I strongly dislike the Vertec frame and I don't believe its really a proper 92, though I get some people prefer it.

My favorite is my frankengun (bottom left); a Steel-I upper on an alloy 92 Competition lower, all e-nickel plated.

What is the pistol on the bottom right?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just an ACARS message
with feelings
Picture of qxsoup
posted Hide Post
The finest Beretta is this one:

This is the actual 92 used by Bruce Willis in Die hard and Mel Gibson in Lethal Weapon.

This one pistol has sold more than any other. Smile

Having said that I really like the old 92SB.

220/229/228/226/P6/225/XO/SP2022/239

Posts: 3062 | Location: The Queen City (the one in Ohio) | Registered: May 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
The finest Beretta 92 of all time?

The Beretta 93R? That would get my vote. Razz

Some really pretty Berettas in this thread. But for whatever reasons I've always looked at the Beretta 92 family as workhorse guns. I have a tough time thinking of any of them as the pistol equivalent of the DT11, not when certain dealers locally were selling NIB M9s for $399 last Christmas.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by qxsoup:

This is the actual 92 used by Bruce Willis in Die hard and Mel Gibson in Lethal Weapon.

They used the same actual pistol, same serial number, in both movies?

I carried a Beretta for a few years, and it was a bit worn. The most worn I've seen were in Iraq. Some of the kids there seemed to have a thing about polishing them until there was no finish left, which was ridiculous, but I saw quite a few like that, or just so worn on their own that little black still showed.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just an ACARS message
with feelings
Picture of qxsoup
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
quote:
Originally posted by qxsoup:

They used the same actual pistol, same serial number, in both movies?

I carried a Beretta for a few years, and it was a bit worn. The most worn I've seen were in Iraq. Some of the kids there seemed to have a thing about polishing them until there was no finish left, which was ridiculous, but I saw quite a few like that, or just so worn on their own that little black still showed.

Yup same exact pistol. Notice it has extended controls- because Bruce had small hands.

220/229/228/226/P6/225/XO/SP2022/239

Posts: 3062 | Location: The Queen City (the one in Ohio) | Registered: May 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is the frame mounted safety also a decocker on the DA/SA model?

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
several models have been made, as you know. Billennium, Steel-1, Centennial, etc. I think there was a plain-jane 92 model made with steel frame as well, if memory serves.

I have a franken pistol I put together using a stainless 92FS frame.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
quote:
I've owned two and sold both. I strongly dislike the Vertec frame and I don't believe its really a proper 92, though I get some people prefer it.

My favorite is my frankengun (bottom left); a Steel-I upper on an alloy 92 Competition lower, all e-nickel plated.

M9A1 lower converted to frame safety with a Billennium slide, milled to remove the logo and all of it has been refinished by CCR.

That pic is a couple years old now. Here's how she sits in my safe at the moment (still need to swap some parts over, notably a silver plated hammer). I had a factory threaded barrel plated to match

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thermonuclear Vulcan
Picture of Zebulon
posted Hide Post
Bread and Butter 92FS..........Zebulon

Posts: 2761 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: November 19, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

M9A1 lower converted to frame safety with a Billennium slide, milled to remove the logo and all of it has been refinished by CCR.

That pic is a couple years old now. Here's how she sits in my safe at the moment (still need to swap some parts over, notably a silver plated hammer). I had a factory threaded barrel plated to match

how hard was it to do the frame safety conversion?

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:

No, safety only. Its just like the original 92.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bac1023:
quote:

Who did yours? One of the smiths who are on the beretta forums?

Posts: 76 | Registered: April 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScubaCat:
quote:
quote:

I’m confused

Who did what?

addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I’m confused

Who did what?

I think the questioner may not be aware that the 92 once came with frame-located safeties as a regular thing.

So to answer his question: the Beretta factory did it when they made the gun. The frame position is the original safety configuration for the first 92, before some guy who probably earned way too much for his position in the company thought that mounting it on the slide would be the way of the future (starting with the 92S, I think).

Actually I believe some agencies requested the slide mount safety, and that's the way it's generally been ever since, aside from occasional special model runs.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I’m confused

Who did what?

I think the questioner may not be aware that the 92 once came with frame-located safeties as a regular thing.

So to answer his question: the Beretta factory did it when they made the gun. The frame position is the original safety configuration for the first 92, before some guy who probably earned way too much for his position in the company thought that mounting it on the slide would be the way of the future (starting with the 92S, I think).

Actually I believe some agencies requested the slide mount safety, and that's the way it's generally been ever since, aside from occasional special model runs.

Very true Soggy

It was actually the Italian Police that wanted a new model to be developed before they adopted it, hence the 92S.

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the answer regarding the safety. I'm only familiar with the 92 starting at the M9 adoption. I always hated the slide mounted safety/decocker...

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Who did yours? One of the guys on the beretta forum?

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I’m confused

Who did what?

Sorry, quoted wrong person.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I’m confused

Who did what?

No, I knew that, but the pic is of a 92a1 lower modded for a 1911 style safety, I wanted to know who did it.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I’m confused

Who did what?

No, I knew that, but the pic is of a 92a1 lower modded for a 1911 style safety, I wanted to know who did it.

Oh ok

Yeah that one isn’t mine