SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    The finest Beretta 92 of all time?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The finest Beretta 92 of all time? Login/Join 
posted
Its certainly got my vote, anyway...

I’m not as big a Beretta 92 fan as some others are on the forums. I think it’s a great looking, iconic service pistol with some nice history to it. I just never found them to be overly accurate or ergonomic (for me), though many folks, including some of my good friends, shoot them extremely well. I think possibly the sheer amount of them available has always been a bit of a turn-off for me as well, as I’m more drawn to exclusivity. One thing I've always admired about the Beretta 92 is the smoothness in which it operates. In fact, they are likely the smoothest pistols in my entire collection except for perhaps the Pardini GT9.

Beretta has made some rare and very high quality guns over the years based on the standard 92 Series. These are the models that peak my interest and the models I seek out to add to the collection. Beretta has made some nice variants in Italy and the USA, but as many here may also know, I prefer guns from their original country of origin. Thus, the special USA models, such as the 92 Elite and Elite II are out for me. I’m also not for commemorative variants such as the Billenium or the more recent Centennial. They are high quality guns, but just not my taste. What really appeal to me are the high end Italian 92 variants, namely the 92 Stock, 92 Combat, and the outstanding 92 Steel I.

While the Stock and Combat are accurized sporting variants that utilize a barrel bushing, the Steel I was basically built by Beretta to push the limits of their ability. To me, it’s the highest quality pistol Beretta ever built. The fit, finish, and attention to detail are way off the charts. The gun feels like one solid piece of steel in hand. Shake it vigorously and there is total silence, despite the fact that it’s a full 43oz of tiny parts. In that sense, it reminds me of the Sphinx 2000, which is quite a complement to Beretta. They basically made the Steel I their masterpiece.

As far as history is concerned, there really isn’t much. The Steel I was produced and imported in 2004 and 2005 only. I’m not exactly sure when production started in 2004 or when it ended in 2005, but it was likely less than two years. During that short time, the gun was produced on a rather limited basis, making it increasingly difficult to find today. Value has been steadily going up and I’ve seen them trade hands on Gunbroker for over $3000 in the last year or two. Quite honestly, I’m not sure why they aren’t bringing more by now, as they really are a work of art built by the oldest name in firearms history.

From a specification standpoint, the Steel I is special. It features a thick Brigadier slide and a steel frame, giving it the aforementioned hefty weight. The Vertec grip frame is used to some folk’s delight and other’s dismay. I happen to really like the vertical grip, which I prefer ergonomically other the standard grip frame. The grips are thin plastic that are tastefully designed and a nice contrast on the steel’s finish. One note to be made is that the Steel I is not an Inox pistol. There are no stainless parts. It utilizes a special nickel-alloy finish on carbon steel. It’s a great looking finish that is supposed to be very durable as well. The configuration is either DA/SA or SAO. The models imported were the 92 Steel I and 96 Steel I, each coming in both configurations. Regardless of the configuration, the Steel I features a frame mounted thumb safety instead of the standard slide mounted safety/decocker. As mentioned previously, the Steel I was built with the highest level of craftsmanship that the company is capable of along with the utmost attention to detail. Even the roll marking is done extraordinarily well, as shown in the pictures below. Its just a shame Beretta marred the right side of the slide with those hideous warning labels.

This example is in like new condition. Its been fired a small amount, but remains LNIB. It came with everything from the factory, as you can see. Its date coded “BU” for 2004. This is the 92 version, which is the 9mm. Its also DA/SA, unlike my other Steel I. One of my complaints about my SAO 96 Steel I was the heavy trigger. The DA/SA model actually has a better single action trigger pull than my SAO model, so I’m thrilled!

At any rate, what do all you Beretta fans think of the Steel I?

Thanks for reading. Please enjoy the pics and share your thoughts.

Here is my 92 and 96 versions together. The 96 is SAO. The 92 is DA/SA.

Here's Beretta's own description of the gun.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
SWEET!!!!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice. Wish all Berettas had a frame-mounted safety (or decocker). I'd have kept my PX4 if it had...

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Very nice! I would love to have one, but can't spend $3000 on a gun right now.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hberttmank:
Very nice! I would love to have one, but can't spend $3000 on a gun right now.
The 40S&W models generally sell for less.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimg1960
posted Hide Post
They are awesome looking...would trigger work or any mod devalue them?

Posts: 301 | Location: Tennessee  | Registered: July 08, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to have a Steel I. Someone made me an offer for it I couldn’t refuse. Probably should have held on to it.

Posts: 612 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: March 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Boy oh boy did I get ripped apart once for mentioning a steel Beretta. None exist, I was told at great length. How stupid could I be?

Nice pistol.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Beautiful. Beretta may be bringing a framed mounted safety gun out in a year or so.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I've owned two and sold both. I strongly dislike the Vertec frame and I don't believe its really a proper 92, though I get some people prefer it.

My favorite is my frankengun (bottom left); a Steel-I upper on an alloy 92 Competition lower, all e-nickel plated.

Posts: 3082 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
Boy oh boy did I get ripped apart once for mentioning a steel Beretta. None exist, I was told at great length. How stupid could I be?

Nice pistol.

several models have been made, as you know. Billennium, Steel-1, Centennial, etc. I think there was a plain-jane 92 model made with steel frame as well, if memory serves.

Posts: 3082 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is why I like Beretta and Sig. They both make guns for the everyday guy that will last a good long time and are quality built. They also make firearms that are meant not only to be shot but also to be admired and kept like a fine treasure. There are not many firearm manufacturers who do that anymore. Nice pistols.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Cool!

Having both of them is all the better. Looks like the 96 is an Italian spec Beretta. The 92 was for the U.S.

Beretta isn't the first pistol I look for, but these would be on the top shelf in nearly anybody's safe. Big Grin

Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 9144 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
Wow! Those are beautiful. I didn't even know that variant existed.

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1680 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
Nice looking gun and very nice write up to go with it.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
wow, great looking pistols in this thread. I really wish I'd kept my Beretta's, they seem to be all I think about latelyFrown

p229Extreme/P226Tac-Ops/P226 Extreme/P226 SAO) P226 X-5 Blue Moon/P226 X-5 Black and White

Posts: 750 | Registered: March 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FotoTomas
posted Hide Post
Beautiful images and a great looking Beretta. I tend to swing the other way. The exclusive guns do not rock my boat. The steel 1 is a great example but the M9A3 black is my ultimate Beretta. Mine is doing the home defense duty by the bed and often plays outside at various pistol and 2/3gun matches. Simple, basic working guns get my vote.

Keep your weapon handy, live free and prosper.

Posts: 814 | Location: Orlando and Daytona Beach, FL | Registered: April 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like!! A Beretta you can rack the slide without grabbing a bunch of safety!

Posts: 465 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back when these were made and offered for sale (around 2004 or 2005) I bought one NIB and fired one mag of ammo out of it but have not shot it since. It truly is a work of steel art but it doesn't ring my bell anymore. Does anyone know what Steel I pistols are going for these days? The prices have been up and down over the years and I've been thinking about letting mine go. IIRC about 250 pieces were imported.

Posts: 2010 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
They both make guns for the everyday guy that will last a good long time and are quality built. They also make firearms that are meant not only to be shot but also to be admired and kept like a fine treasure.

Agree. And one of those brands can still be bought for very reasonable money. Wink

Posts: 10740 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post