SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P228 with RAIL
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P228 with RAIL Login/Join 
Picture of Poppy6x
posted
Looking for some guidance regarding P228 with rail. One of my LGS has two used P228 with rail come in as part of a trade. Now, I have a lot of Sigs but am not that knowledgeable when it comes to the P228. I looked them over and they are clearly marked German P228, not M11A1. I had the impression that all of the P228's had no rail. I was clearly illinformed. (Not unusual for me) So, what can you P228 experts tell me about these pistols?

They appear to be in very good to excellent shape. They are both priced around $579 and could probably be had for $525. One comes with a holster. Would these qualify as reasonable deals?

Thanks in advance for any information.

P.S. - I have a lot of Sigs, from the P320 variants to P239's to 1911's to P232 to P938 and P238 to Legions in all flavors including 10mm.
Most recent acquisition is a Legion P229 9mm SAO and I love this pistol. I'm intrigued by the "mystique" of the P228 but have never acquired one.

Sigs, HKs, S&Ws, Rugers, Wilsons, Nighthawks, Colts

Posts: 234 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: June 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conductor in Residence
Picture of Maestro
posted Hide Post
I would request to see the box to see if it is actually a P228R. Sig did make a limited number of 228R’s, but there are also some “franken-Sigs” out there that are P228 slides on P229R frames.

You can also probably tell by the serial number of the frame. 228’s typically have a B prefix, whereas 229’s start with A.

Posts: 3675 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Most of them are non-railed, but there are some examples of railed P228s, like this P228R/M11 which had the M11 etched out.

They still have "P228" serial numbers (B-series) instead of some Fraken-P228s that have P229 frames with their serial numbers.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It seems to me that they put out some P228R’s after the P228 had officially been discontinued. It was something like 5 years after too. My theory is they stumbled on a bunch of slides in a warehouse and needed frames to go with them, so they used railed P229 frames. Who knows what the real story is. Maybe our resident p228 guru. His spidey senses might be going off right about now.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Yes, definitely stay away from those with the early P229 style serial numbers that start with "AL" or "AM". Some dealers have claimed that these were police trade-ins, and that they originally came from SIG factory that way. SIG CS was unable to confirm it. So, they are aftermarket FrankenP228s, as far as I'm concerned.

But, if you see railed P228 with the "B" prefix serial number, you can be sure that it is a factory P228. Regarding the true factory P228R, per SIG CS, "The majority of the P228R were built between 2009 with a small run 2011. There was an over run of railed frames and built a little over 1k of them total."

There are 3 types of factory P228Rs.

1- The one with "US" "M11" on the right side of the frame etched out (as shown by RHINO above). Made in 2009. Frame and slide are German made and so marked. Assembled at SIG US.
2- The one without those marks. Also made in 2009. Frame and slide are German made and so marked. Assembled at SIG US.
3- This 3rd one was made, assembled, and proofed in Germany in 2010 (BA date code). This one has triple serial numbers. Released on the market in 2011.

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I have one of those A serial number guns that I bought a few years ago.
I'm not a collector and didn't pay a collector (premium) price and it shoots great.
Any other reason to be concerned?

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShoreGuy
posted Hide Post
My B serialed P228 was made in 1989, just a few hundred over #100,000. I’ve seen the B prefixes go up to the mid 200,000’s IIRC.

West German P228 (first duty weapon)
GOTM Nickel P229

Posts: 79 | Location: NC | Registered: March 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
I have one of those A serial number guns that I bought a few years ago.
I'm not a collector and didn't pay a collector (premium) price and it shoots great.
Any other reason to be concerned?

If the gun works, whether a Frankengun or factory original, why concerned yourself? I should have made it clear that my statement applies to those who only want to buy factory original configured guns. Anyway, does your P228 start with "AL"or "AM"? Or, does it start with "AHU", AJU", or "AKU"? If it starts with one of the last three, then it might very well be a factory released P228 from the very last batch (from late 2012 to April 2013).

quote:
Originally posted by ShoreGuy:
My B serialed P228 was made in 1989, just a few hundred over #100,000. I’ve seen the B prefixes go up to the mid 200,000’s IIRC.

If you look at that serial # thread, it goes up much higher than that. But, very odd though, as these two are out of the norm.

quote:
-B371-056----2002-Swiss Police = Thanks to fyimo
-B573-386----1997-Police contract run = Thanks to dondavis3

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I bought one in June of 2009. Serial number B339 471. It has the etched over squares like the pic above. I'm not a huge P228 fan but it's nice. Converted it to DAK and it's a great shooter.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
12131, mine’s an AL.
My only question was about function since it’s just a shooter to me, not a collectible.
Thanks for the update.

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
^^^^ Except for the the serial number style difference, your gun is identical to the factory P228R. So, there are no reasons for concerns. I've made a few FrankenP228s myself. They all work fine.

Q

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Yes, definitely stay away from those with the early P229 style serial numbers that start with "AL" or "AM". Some dealers have claimed that these were police trade-ins, and that they originally came from SIG factory that way. SIG CS was unable to confirm it. So, they are aftermarket FrankenP228s, as far as I'm concerned.

But, if you see railed P228 with the "B" prefix serial number, you can be sure that it is a factory P228. Regarding the true factory P228R, per SIG CS, "The majority of the P228R were built between 2009 with a small run 2011. There was an over run of railed frames and built a little over 1k of them total."

There are 3 types of factory P228Rs.

1- The one with "US" "M11" on the right side of the frame etched out (as shown by RHINO above). Made in 2009. Frame and slide are German made and so marked. Assembled at SIG US.
2- The one without those marks. Also made in 2009. Frame and slide are German made and so marked. Assembled at SIG US.
3- This 3rd one was made, assembled, and proofed in Germany in 2010 (BA date code). This one has triple serial numbers. Released on the market in 2011.

#2 Is the barrel also marked "DE"? Wanted to confirm if this 228R variant the slide, frame, & barrel are made in Germany, but the gun was assembled in the US, as no "proof" markings.

Posts: 3232 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rpm2010:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

#2 Is the barrel also marked "DE"? Wanted to confirm if this 228R variant the slide, frame, & barrel are made in Germany, but the gun was assembled in the US, as no "proof" markings.

Yes.

Q

posted Hide Post
Nice^^^^Thanks 12131. Is there any count on how many of the triple S/N & proofed came into the US back in 2010?

Posts: 3232 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sigmonkey
That last one you posted looks like my NCIS commemorative pistol. It’s a railed 229 with the NCIS badge on slide and “United States Naval Criminal Investigative Service” on frame. I’d post pics but always seems to screw it up in the forum. I got it just after leaving the agency when they switched from the M11 to the 229 40cal.

Posts: 88 | Registered: December 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rpm2010:
Nice^^^^Thanks 12131. Is there any count on how many of the triple S/N & proofed came into the US back in 2010?

Have no ideas, but it can't be more than a few. The US assembled P228R count is about 1000, and you don't see them often. And, the German proofed one, which is less, is hardly ever seen at all.

quote:
Originally posted by Nciswit:
Sigmonkey
That last one you posted looks like my NCIS commemorative pistol. It’s a railed 229 with the NCIS badge on slide and “United States Naval Criminal Investigative Service” on frame. I’d post pics but always seems to screw it up in the forum. I got it just after leaving the agency when they switched from the M11 to the 229 40cal.

Don't call me Sigmonkey, because my friend the real sigmonkey will be very upset. Lol.

Close. It's the US Army CID Special Agent badge. I bought it from a member who was CID agent. That was his personal pistol, not government issued, that he had engraved as a graduation gift to himself from the CID program. I sold it last year to another member.

Q

posted Hide Post
I’m sorry 12131, I was paying more attention to your image pic and not paying attention to typing, I apologize for getting name wrong. And my apologies to sigmonkey as well.

Posts: 88 | Registered: December 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
Besides 12131's orangutan isn't a monkey. Smile

Posts: 2807 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nciswit:
I’m sorry 12131, I was paying more attention to your image pic and not paying attention to typing, I apologize for getting name wrong. And my apologies to sigmonkey as well.

All good. I was just messing with you. Big Grin

Q