SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    S/W 642 & Mika Pocket Holster
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

S/W 642 & Mika Pocket Holster Login/Join 
posted
Several years ago I gifted my daughter my S/W 642 Airweight .38 and my Mika pocket holster. That set up had been with me over many miles in my front pocket while on my Harley to Sturgis, Holister or wherever/whenever. It also came in handy when I just wanted something for a quick errand in the car. A strip loader went into another pocket. It's stealthy and easy to draw from.

I missed that set up so much I just replaced both of them. My biggest concern was being able to get another Mika pocket holster from Robert Mika (former LAPD). Robert came through in no time. The holster today is as good as the one I bought many, many years ago.

I highly recommend his holster if this type of set up (.38 in a pocket holster) fits in your rotation. It's well made and will last a life time. You can see them on his website at mikaspocketholsters.com

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bigbuck5
posted Hide Post
Yep, his holsters are good stuff, I've had a couple of them. I currently have one for a Kahr CM9, which incidentally fits my P365 pretty well.

Posts: 353 | Location: Guatemala | Registered: January 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Saw the recommendation and ordered one. Few minutes later I get a call confirming my order and a brief explanation on time frame for delivery. Great followup by the company. Looking forward to the holster.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1552 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have several of his pocket holsters and while a simple design, its very well executed compared to some others I've tried. And he's really easy to do business with as well.

Posts: 1625 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to work with Robert in the day, great guy. He made me one of his first j frame pocket holsters and still have it today.

Posts: 162 | Location: WA State | Registered: December 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
for the j-frame ---- square cut or round cut???

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10900 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
I ordered the square cut thinking it would make the bulge look wallet like.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
for the j-frame ---- square cut or round cut???

Square cut if you are going to rear pocket carry and round cut if you are going to carry in the front pocket.

Posts: 162 | Location: WA State | Registered: December 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I sold all of my mika holsters. There are far better pocket holsters out there.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
And they’re water/sweat proof.
I’ve been retired 8 years, and every day, unless I’m going somewhere, from the time I put on pants until I take them off, I carry an LCP in one of Mr. Mikas’ holsters. I mow the yard, cut down trees, trim bushes, wash cars, you name it, the LCP’s in my pocket.
Every month or 2, I field strip it, and wipe it down with Eezox. Probably 50% of the finish is off the slide, there’s no rust, and I sweat like a blind lesbian at a fish market.
There are prettier holsters out there, but this one works for me.

Posts: 3228 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
Robert Mika is a great guy with a well made and economic holster. I've bought and used some much more expensive pocket holsters that serve the same purpose, but Bob's product gets the job done and I carried my J-frame S&W backup revolvers in one of them for DECADES when I was a LEO. I recently ordered another for my Sig P238 and expect to receive it in a week or so. Did I mention that he ships his holsters out quickly?

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Photoman
posted Hide Post
Be sure to "break in" his holsters. It takes some weeks to get them formed to the gun and pocket. They are great holsters and I've been using them for over ten years.

+++

Posts: 1561 | Registered: May 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Another satisfied Mika customer here. They aren’t fancy looking but are certainly very serviceable.

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
I currently have Mika pocket holsters for my 340PD, LCP, and NAA Pug. I used to have more than one of each but have sold a few. They're excellent, functional holsters. When I ordered the one for the Pug, Mr. Mika called me to specifically ask how wide I wanted the holster to be. Since the Pug is so small, if he made it too narrow, it might shift around in the pocket too much. I thought that was a nice touch, and he made it exactly how I asked.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
Been using a Mika for 11 years now. Never thought to try any other pocket holster for my snubbie.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: yanici,

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2406 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
I sold all of my mika holsters. There are far better pocket holsters out there.

Ok, I'll bite. After reading all the positive posts, owning a couple of his products myself and then seeing you're negative review, I'm curious as to the "why"? I'm not defending his products as some fan boy but, what's a better option? What's the downside to his products?

Posts: 822 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't used his holsters, but I will say that I'm turned off by the appearance. They look cheap, like a fold-over with a bit of silverware drawer liner tacked on around the outside.

I've been using DeSantis pocket holsters for some time now, for both revolvers and autos, and haven't found anything on the market that's better.

Maybe Mika's are, but their appearance doesn't instill confidence.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been carrying pocket, leg holsters and shoulder holsters for Smith J frames since I first started on the job in LA in 78. Whether it was a leg, shoulder or pocket holster I never (and still don't) give much thought to how it looks. I need performance and stealth.

In instance of using it as a holster for a primary gun in my pocket or, as a back up to another primary weapon, function and dependability are paramount. This where Mika shines.

Regardless of how you think it appears or, that its appearance doesn't instill confidence, I can assure they are well made, highly suited for their purpose and most owners are more than happy with them.

Having said that, the DeSantis may be equal or better but I don't know since I prefer the Mika for the J frames I pocket carry.

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gotta love a 642 in the pocket.

Posts: 4657 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Holster arrived, performed perfectly. With J-frame in it put it my front pocket and drew the gun. Holster remained in place. Ordered the square bottom and it looks like a wallet in my pocket. Price wise a good value.