SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Anyone own and operate a Webley?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone own and operate a Webley? Login/Join 
posted
Just picked up a Webley Mk VI shaved to 45 ACP. The thing is I'm not generally a revolver guy but I've always thought these were neat so I jumped on it when I saw it.

Ive read to load the 45 ACP down to the original loading and I have some polymer RIMZ full moon clips coming. Anything else I should know?

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I have several.

Shoot lead through it at 600-700fps and you will be golden.

I use steel full moon clips.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34108 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Have fun shooting it. Big Grin

Be kind to the old girl, down load for it despite what many will claim.

Mine (still 455) has a large bore for .451"-.452" bullets and very undersized throats. So without hollow based bullets it will never shoot the best it could. However.... it shoots well enough for what I do with it and to have fun, so I never opened the throats up, despite having the tooling and more experience than I care to remember. Wink

Posts: 21101 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
I have a shaved MK VI. I use 230 grain. 452" lead and plated .451" bullets loaded to approx 700 FPS. I've done some preliminary measuring, and it would appear the cylinder throats and groove diameter on my Webley are both approx..450". Quite a bit tighter than most owners assume. May be why the .451" and .452" bullets work so well in my, and reportedly other owner's, Webleys.

NRA Life

Posts: 1563 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
I do not own one, but I have read in different magazines that it is important to download if you reload.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I absolutely will and thank you for the advice. I'm not looking to push pressures, simply to shoot a neat old gun and think about all the places its been. I've read to download the 45 to 455 specs for the ammo of the time.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine collects them, does well buying and selling them at the Collector's show.

They're neat guns, I haven't fired one yet though.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't but I greatly admire a friend's 1896 Webley-Green.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
A friend has one in 45ACP. Shot the Aiming for Zero event last year at Sig with it.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redleg2/9
posted Hide Post
Just a simple observation - take it for what it is worth.

The .455 Webley Mark II cartridge is 13,050 psi (converted)
The .45 Auto Rim is 17,400 psi
The standard factory .45 ACP is 21,000 psi.

If you do not roll your own to the lower 13,050 psi., you might have to become very efficient using your off-hand.

“Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . .”
– Napoleon Bonaparte

http://poundsstudio.com/

Posts: 2273 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I'm about to received my first MK VI shaved for Moon clips. Does anyone have a good load using Hodgdon Clays?

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hodgdon's STARTING .45ACP loads for Clays are about factory .455 pressure.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you reload. And are really concerned, just load some 45 acp ammo with black powder.
I think the low end 45 acp load advice given above is fine however

Posts: 3287 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Watson:
Hodgdon's STARTING .45ACP loads for Clays are about factory .455 pressure.

Thanks Jim. I'll bump it down to minimum and give it a go! Pictures to come when I get guns in hand.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I shoot 231/HP38 through mine.

You really want to keep it gentle, use Trail Boss.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34108 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I picked up my new (to me) Webley MK VI revolver. The best I can tell, this one was made in 1919. It has a high serial number in the 400,000 range. I ordered a holster for it from mantheline.com
(pictured).

It has been modified to use full moon clips. I loaded some mild .45 ACP rounds. It went "bang" every time. Not bad for a gun that's over 100 years old! I loaded 200 gr. RNFP bullets with 3.6 grains of Clays.

Photo Apr 17, 11 26 45 AM by Dave Steier, on Flickr

Photo Apr 17, 11 26 36 AM by Dave Steier, on Flickr

Photo Apr 17, 11 27 03 AM by Dave Steier, on Flickr

Compared to my Kimber DASA 3" revolver

Photo Apr 17, 11 27 18 AM by Dave Steier, on Flickr

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer

posted Hide Post
I recently picked up my first Enfield N0.2, Mk 1**. So now I am hankering for a Webley.

Posts: 9 | Registered: April 17, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chainfire:
I recently picked up my first Enfield N0.2, Mk 1**. So now I am hankering for a Webley.

I ordered this holster. It is for a MK IV instead of a VI. My mistake. I'd make you a deal on it.

https://mantheline.com/product...vice-pistol-holster/

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer

I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I got a Lee Enfield to go with my Webleys!

All Brit w ammo 1 by Dave Steier, on Flickr

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer

Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
I’ve got the Enfield version in .38 S&W. It’s fun to shoot!

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post