SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    How do you store and transport your caliber exchange/conversion kits?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do you store and transport your caliber exchange/conversion kits? Login/Join 
Picture of JBird679
posted
With most of the Sig Classic series you can move between .22lr, 9mm, .357sig, and .40 with a simple slide and/or barrel and mag swap. With the P250 and P320 series you can do all sorts of fun things with calibers, grip sizes/lengths, and slide/barrel/frame lengths.

I'd rather not have slides, barrels, and grip frames sitting loose on the safe shelf dirtying things up, and I definitely do not want these things flopping around in my range bag during transport.

So, how the heck do you store it all? Has anyone found any cool solutions? SIG (or any other accessory makers), if you're listening, help!

Posts: 987 | Location: Upstate, SC | Registered: March 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I generally leave them in the hard plastic case they came in after I have wiped them down with preservative/oil. I store them next to my other handgun hard plastic cases in my safe.

Posts: 828 | Location: CA | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a soft pistol case from lapg for cheap and keep all my 226 mods in 1 bag. It has room for mags, slides and my 22 can. I then keep my 226 in its own bag and my X5t in another. Takes up less space than the hard cases and is a little nicer.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one of these for all of my different pistol types:
http://www.midwayusa.com/produ...tactical-pistol-case

The back side has two large pockets.I keep the 40 conversion in one and the 22 conversion in the other.

Posts: 242 | Location: IL | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I leave them in their original hard plastic case as well...

Posts: 13810 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
My conversion kit came in a hard plastic case so that's how I store and transport it.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
I've been considering the same thing for my P250 so that I can take a set of kits to the range.

I'm thinking of going with a hard case with that pluck-out foam, but I haven't done so yet.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6042 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I keep them in the case but when I go to the range I slide them inside a white crew sock.

Posts: 62 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: December 24, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JBird679
posted Hide Post
I am surprised so many folks use the plastic cases that the kits ship in. They are large and wasteful (just 1 slide and 1 mag) for storage in the safe and especially in the range bag. Like AUTiger I have also considered swapping the foam in there out for the pluck foam and fitting at least 2 slides and a barrel in there, but it still seems excessive. Maybe the sock is the best way!

LoadedDrum, I actually own one of the linked Midway cases, and I find it too small to carry by itself to the range, and too large to carry it in another bag. You must be putting the slides diagonal in those pockets which means the rest of the square pocket is wasted space also.

Posts: 987 | Location: Upstate, SC | Registered: March 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JBird679
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anubismp:
I bought a soft pistol case from lapg for cheap and keep all my 226 mods in 1 bag. It has room for mags, slides and my 22 can. I then keep my 226 in its own bag and my X5t in another. Takes up less space than the hard cases and is a little nicer.

Care to link to the case or at least give the name if you can find it? I poked around on their site and didn't find anything that looked promising.

posted Hide Post
I have used Maxpedition pistol cases for just about everything. I purchased a handful of them at 75% off when AR15.com had their moving sale a few years ago. I use one just for gunsmith tools, one for cans and one for the 3 variations of my 320's. It holds a full size RMR slide, compact tac-ops slide, frames for both, can for the tac-ops and a fully assembled subcompact. All my plastic cases are in a box in the attic. I have only used the small cases. They do have a larger ones.

Posts: 535 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: September 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use the MTM plastic pistol cases and store the kit and pistol together. Then, with easily removable 2 inch masking tape and a Sharpie, I label the contents.
Makes it easy to pick out the gun you want from the safe.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Oil them, seal them in ZIPLOCK bags and store them in the original cases. I place round paper key tags with application on the case for easy ID.

I planned ahead and bought a large enough safe...this time.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JBird679
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gordynismo:
I have used Maxpedition pistol cases for just about everything. I purchased a handful of them at 75% off when AR15.com had their moving sale a few years ago. I use one just for gunsmith tools, one for cans and one for the 3 variations of my 320's. It holds a full size RMR slide, compact tac-ops slide, frames for both, can for the tac-ops and a fully assembled subcompact. All my plastic cases are in a box in the attic. I have only used the small cases. They do have a larger ones.

Thanks for posting this, I really like this solution. It looks like there is an 8"x10" and an 8"x12" Maxpedition Pistol Case/Gun Rug, and I assume this is the 8x10.

I tried several other cases, and the slides would not fit in the mag holders. Did you have to stretch them out majorly, or are they large enough in this case to fit snugly but without a fight?

posted Hide Post
I use a Pelican 1450 case, shown below. I bought a P229R .22LR initially. That slide assembly is the one beneath the pistol. I used the coupon to buy the .40 S&W X-Change kit (on the right). Several years later, I came across the 9mm Elite slide it is wearing now. Since the .40/.357 mags will feed 9mm, I just keep the case stocked with those (plus the two .22 mags for range fun).

Posts: 117 | Registered: February 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post