SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Pistol light recommendations?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pistol light recommendations? Login/Join 
posted
I am looking to get a pistol light, but I really don't know what's good.

Back when I was LEO all the guys that bothered putting lights on their duty pistols used Streamlights--based on that I almost just ordered one of those, but since that was almost 10 years ago I am wondering if there are other good options.

I plan to put this on a larger caliber (45/10mm) for the bedroom safe. I plan to frequently remove the light for OWB carry--not sure if a quick release is a viable option.

Budget is $100ish if anyone has recommendations.

Posts: 444 | Location: Shenandoah Valley | Registered: February 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
For what pistol?

Posts: 1057 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
We're using mostly Streamlights at work. Most of them have settled on the TLR-1HL, but we're using full sized duty guns (Glock 31).

For offduty I'm the only one that carries a WML and I'm using the TLR-7A on a Glock 32.

Our policy actually forbids lights that go on/off easy that slide on from the front.

I'd just get another gun and dedicated it for your bedroom safe. I've used the TLR1 on my Glock 21 with no issues.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BlackTalonJHP:
For what pistol?

Would swap between 1911 .45 and P220 10mm. Probably P220 the most, but I've been on a 1911 kick lately..

Posts: 444 | Location: Shenandoah Valley | Registered: February 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
TLR-1 or TLR-7A will work but if you are wanting quick detach then Olight PL-2 might be worth looking at in your price range.

If you had said Glock the Surefire X-300U-A is built for it. It slides on easy and fits the contour perfectly.

Posts: 1057 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
TLR-1 HL for a full-sized gun. It will stretch your budget a bit but it's worth it over the non-HL.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yep... TLR-1HL

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll be a contrarian to most of the above. Since time began I have been a surefire guy. Not an issue ever. But pricing got silly for new lights and I had a run of trying streamlight. Did not go well. Survival rate for a few tactical low light matches zero. Back to surefire.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
The U-boat, aka X300U.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
I like the Olight Valkyrie PL-2 for full sized guns, but that's just an opinion. I went with that one specifically because of the quick release lever and reasonable cost.

I think the TLR-1 is good too. I imagine the Surefire is better still; but I'm just not convinced that it's three times as good, if you get my meaning.

Posts: 10729 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For your specified price point I'd go with a stream light, I use one of their lights for EDC, the price tag for a comparable surefire (and spare) was too rich for my blood. I've got a TLR-7 on the 320 X-Compact and I'm impressed with it. It balances well, throws 500 lumens and you can replace the battery with it still on the pistol. Though I would recommend looking at the TLR-7A (better switch placement). I actually wear the 320 X-compact with TLR-7 in a Tier1 Concealment IWB holster without issue (not 24/7, couple hours at a time). The TLR-1 series has been a gold standard for PDs for while (my brother has one on his duty P320 and hasn't reported any issues). The only thing to be aware of with the Streamlights is that some of the older models didn't like some of the old non-standard plastic rails and would fall off the gun (per the web the Beretta 90-2 and others). Stream light used to mention it in the instructions booklet, but I haven't seen a stream light fall off a pistol yet. Make sure you use the right insert and follow the instructions. I used to have an older TLR-1 (100 lumens or so) mounted on a 229 and it worked fine.

I'd check mrgunsandgear on you tube. He does decent light reviews.

Posts: 4546 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Howdy!

I‘ve always use Streamlight on duty weapons. I’m retired now and recently purchased a OLight for my Ruger PC Charger 9mm. I lie that it has rechargeable battery.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

“Happy Trails”
Chiefneon

Posts: 22 | Registered: November 17, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I’m also pretty firmly in the Surefire camp. I’ve got a couple that have been beat to hell and are around 10 years old that have never once failed me. Plus Surefire impressed me as a company a few years back when they accidentally put their whole store on sale for 50% off on Black Friday instead of just a few items, and then actually honored the sale price for everyone. Even the profiteers who bought thousands of dollars worth so they could resell them.

I did recently put a Streamlight on a rifle after using one of their handhelds for the last year and so far so good. The price difference is pretty hard to ignore.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've used the same Streamlight TLR-2 for over 11 years on two 45 pistols: a SIG P220R for about 6 years and a Glock 41 for the past five years. The light has never disappointed me. I have removed the light for OWB holster carry and the laser returns to zero when the light is reinstalled. I've had a TLR7A mounted on a G19 for the past 4 months. Fits like it was made for the pistol. I also have a TLR-1 HL mounted on a Colt LE6920. It's gotten banged around a bit but never failed to perform. Another vote for Streamlight.

Posts: 691 | Location: Ohio & UP of Michigan | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
TLR-3 for me. Best bang for the buck, IMHO. If money is no object, then go with SureFire.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In your budget youre looking at the streamlight TLR1-HL. Great switch on that one that I like alot.

You could also check out the Surefire X300 on the used market. It has a good on off attachment method and is obviously quite dependable.

Lastly I have and like the Olight PL-mini 1 and 2 and both have been flawless over many years. Quick on and off and in your budget. good light throw for your purposes.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post