SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    1st US Army Units to issue P320 will be...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1st US Army Units to issue P320 will be... Login/Join 
Picture of sleepla8er
posted

Article contains pics not posted here:
(http://SoldierSystems.net/2017/05/03/Army-to-issue-new-m17-modular-handgun-to-ft-campbell-troops-first/)

May 3, 2017

Army To Issue New M17 Modular Handgun To Ft Campbell Troops First

Earlier today at the NDIA Armaments Conference, PEO Soldier’s PM for Soldier Weapons, LTC Steven Power stated that the First Unit Equipped for the M17 Modular Handgun will be the 101st at Fort Campbell, Kentucky, during the first quarter of Fiscal Year 18. He also stated that other units on Fort Campbell would also receive the first of 190,000 Pistols the Army plans to buy.

In addition to multiple other Army units on the post, the 5th Special Forces Group (Airborne) and elements of the 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment are also there. Yesterday, USASOC Deputy Chief of Staff for Requirements (G8), COL Samuel Ashley stated that despite adoption of the GLOCK 19 by elements of the command, it was part of the Army’s fielding of the M17 as a replacement for their M9 pistols.

In January during SHOT Show, the Army selected the SIG SAUER P320 as its new modular handgun. However, in February, GLOCK protested the award. The GAO has until 5 June to make a decision on whether or not to sustain the protest. Despite this, the Army has developed a fielding plan for the new pistol, no matter who produces it.

Posts: 2852 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Am I reading too much into a caption, or does it look like the full sized 320 will be the Model 17 and the compact 320 will be the Model 18?

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

Yes, I am expecting there to be a Full Size version and Compact version of the P320 based on this except from the US Army Modular Handgun System (MHS) Request for Proposal (RFP):
(www.FBO.gov/MHS RFP)

C.3.2.1.2. Modular Handgun
The Contractor shall deliver...the following items:
a) Handgun, Full Size
b) Magazines, Standard
c) Magazines, Extended
d) Bore Brush

C.3.2.1.3 Modular Handgun System, Compact
The Contractor shall deliver...the following items:
a) Handgun, Compact
b) Magazines, Compact
c) Magazines, Standard
d) Bore Brush

<- SNIP ->

In addition to the standard issue variants, I am also expecting "General Officer" variants based on this section of the RFP:

I believe it is customary for Generals to be issued sidearm when promoted to General and to be given their sidearm upon retirement. Can anyone confirm this?

C.3.1.12.3 General Officer MHS
a) The General Officer MHS shall be delivered in accordance to:
1. Full Size Section C.3.2.1.2
2. Compact Section C.3.2.1.3

b) The following change will be made to the General Officer MHS:
1. Serial number of the full size handgun shall begin with the letters GO, followed by a dash, followed by 4 numeric digits, sequentially marked, beginning with GO-X0001, where the X shall be the first letter of the Contractors name.

2. Serial number of the compact handgun shall begin with the letters GO, followed by a dash, followed by 4 numeric digits, sequentially marked, beginning with GO-X0001, where the X shall be the first letter of the Contractors name.

Posts: 2852 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
From the comments section of the OP article:

quote:
The full size will replace the M9. So whatever units have the M9, they will get full size pistols. The compact will replace the M11, so whoever has those on the books will get the compact M17.

Don't know the source; can't verify the info.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Am I reading too much into a caption, or does it look like the full sized 320 will be the Model 17 and the compact 320 will be the Model 18?

I think you're reading too much into the labels of the XM models

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I knew they were going to issue both, so I was kind of curious as to whether the two pistols would have separate Model designations.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

When the RFP was written, the Full Size was designated as the M17 and the Compact was listed as M??. Nowhere in the RFP did I find M18 or any other designation for the Compact except M??.

C.3.1.12.2. Marking Requirements

The MHS shall be marked with the following information on the serialized component:
a) ATF requirements for Contractors name, city and state.
b) For the full size MHS, the exact digits U.S. XX M17, where XX is the caliber. For the compact MHS, the exact digits U.S. XX M??, where XX is the caliber.
c) The Government issued part number
d) The Contractors cage code.
e) Serial number in the format of X000001, where the X shall be the first letter of the Contractors name. The serial numbers shall begin with the number one and increase sequentially. (The full size and compact handguns shall have different part numbers, therefore there will be two sets of serial numbers, one set for the full size, and one set for the compact MHS).

Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:

A full auto capable Compact 320 would be interesting.

Smile Just kidding, I suspect "Model 18" was a typo.

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post