SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Colt Defender sized 1911 - 45 or 9?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Colt Defender sized 1911 - 45 or 9? Login/Join 
Facts are stubborn things
Picture of armedprof
posted
I am seriously considering purchasing a new Defender sized 1911. I like the Colt, Sig, and EMP. The Colt is actually the least expensive...

The real question is should I get the .45ACP or the 9mm?

I currently have pistols in 9mm .380 and .40 S&W. I would prefer to not have to add another caliber. After saying that, I realize that there is a school of thought that all 1911s should be .45ACP. I respect this opinion but my very first gun was a Colt Mark IV Series 80 in 9mm. At 21 years old, I could not afford .45ACP ammo.

The 9mm also has an extra round in the magazine.

All that said, I would really like the brain trust's opinion and experience shooting the Defender sized 1911. Thank you all.

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have 2017 vers. of the Defender in 9mm and .45. I prefer the 9mm for carry and shooting costs. Fully loaded, the .45 is heavier on the belt.

Bill

Posts: 137 | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
When both firearms are the same size and configuration, I always opt for the more powerful cartridge.

But then I am a big fan of the 45ACP

Yes, I know it is an Officer's ACP, but I do not own a Defender

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
I own a Colt Defender in 45. I bought it with the idea of carrying it. I never realty carried for long and wished it was 9mm. I would probably shoot it more for fun.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think it depends on your intended use.

To paraphrase Mas Ayoob, if you are shooting hardball, you want it to make the biggest hole possible.

So, if you plan on it as a primary sd/carry pistol, I would lean toward .45 as the short barrel could inhibit velocity and therefore expansion of either. So .45 ball is better than 9mm ball. The modern 9mm ammo might expand at lower velocities, or generate more velocity from the short barrel, but the .45 won't shrink.

As much as I love the .45, for a range gun, this one might be more fun in 9mm, with the added benefit of being more economical to shoot. If you are going to own just one .45 for the range, I think it needs at least a 4" and preferably a 5" barrel.

Posts: 987 | Registered: January 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Suggest you also consider Colt Light-weight Commander in 9mm. Has better barrel twist and absolutely standard insides. The nested recoil springs actually do seem to smooth-out recoil.

Have dealt with two of them and have been favorably impressed. Excellent for carry or for range.

Mac in Michigan

Posts: 504 | Location: Below the Bridge in Michigan | Registered: July 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post