SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Weapon mounted light
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weapon mounted light Login/Join 
easy money
posted
Hello!

What brand of light is affordable and reliable to mount on my handguns using the standard rail system - like that found on a Glock or Springfield xD?

I was trained to hold a flashlight in one hand and a gun in the other, not use a weapon mounted light, so this is all new to me.

Thank you,

Jim

That which doesn't kill you only makes you stronger

Posts: 576 | Location: United States | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
For “affordable” I recommend a Streamlight TLR-1.

Other than that, it’s Surefire X300 all the way.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Streamlight TLR-7A.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...790025524#3790025524

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OLight

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
TLR1HL or X300U. I like the Olight for smaller stuff but those are the names for the larger guns I run (G19 and above). The TLR-1 has flippy switches that are easier to activate but thats a double edged sword. I've seen more light-NDs with the TLR.

The X300 is the Aimpoint of lights. It has a push to activate with hard stick constant on up and down. That may not make sense until you play with the switches. I'd say test out which method of switch you like and plop down your cash. My last new X300U came from arms unlimited for like $200 to put you in the right ballpark pricewise.

I also like the rail interface of the -A series vs the -B and TLRs thumbscrew.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Surefire x300 if you don't mind the size. Phenomenal light. For me it's not so much the issue of the size added to the pistol as it is the length of the holster. I had one on my duty weapon for awhile and it got in the way while seated. Again, the light itself is top of the line and I've got several on long guns at the house.

TLR 7A is my current choice for my duty weapon. It isn't quite as bright, and the build quality doesn't feel quite as solid, but I've not had any issues with the 3 I own and they add no appreciable bulk. I wasn't a fan of the switches on the original TLR 7, but the new switch for the 7A is pretty decent.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
For “affordable” I recommend a Streamlight TLR-1.

Yep. A TLR-1, or a TLR-7 if it's a compact or subcompact pistol that can't accommodate the full-sized -1.

There are a few different models under each type, with different features, switches, brightness, etc.

I like specifically the TLR-1HL and the TLR-7A models.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of T.Webb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim1970:
Hello!

What brand of light is affordable and reliable to mount on my handguns using the standard rail system - like that found on a Glock or Springfield xD?

I was trained to hold a flashlight in one hand and a gun in the other, not use a weapon mounted light, so this is all new to me.

Thank you,

Jim

I was trained as you. But too many tell me that Dot RMR's and firearm mounted lights are the wave of the future, along with an appendix holster with spare mag. So, I brought a P320C with a Romeo I Pro and put on a Streamlight TLR7. I haven't done much more than "play" with this gun. No RMR training, no WML training, but thusfar I'm not impressed. Maybe I'm too old a dog to learn a new trick. Right now, I'm leaning to removing the RMR and leaving the light on. I'm not crazy about the holster at all.

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I feel you. I guess I'm a middle-aged dog. I like WMLs a lot, and am warming up to RMRs on handguns in some circumstances, but I can't get appendix carry to work for me despite several tries over the years.

So dumping the RMR and the appendix holster and keeping the WML is a great option. That's where I'm at currently.

(But if you plan to carry with a WML, you really owe it to yourself to get some WML-specific training, and practice with it beyond just playing around with it.)

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted Hide Post
I have a WML on my home defense pistol, but choose to carry a hand held light for CCW. I’ve never been anywhere in public that was so dark I would need a light to identify Someone needing to be shot.

"Escaped the liberal Borg and living free"

Posts: 2223 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will fear no evil..
Psalm 23:4
posted Hide Post
I sent you an email. I have a nice Surefire XC1 I would sell you.

Posts: 947 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you go XC1, make sure it’s the XC1B. The switchology is better and the A’s had issues. Ask me how I know. (I had 2)(have)

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will fear no evil..
Psalm 23:4
posted Hide Post
This is the original XC1A. I have had zero issues with mine and it works great. I’m only selling because I do not need 2 anymore.

Posts: 947 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
easy money
posted Hide Post
Hello!

Thanks for the comments everyone! Looks like I’m buying my first WML!

Thank you again,

Jim

That which doesn't kill you only makes you stronger

Posts: 576 | Location: United States | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by copaup:
Surefire x300 if you don't mind the size. Phenomenal light. For me it's not so much the issue of the size added to the pistol as it is the length of the holster. I had one on my duty weapon for awhile and it got in the way while seated. Again, the light itself is top of the line and I've got several on long guns at the house.

TLR 7A is my current choice for my duty weapon. It isn't quite as bright, and the build quality doesn't feel quite as solid, but I've not had any issues with the 3 I own and they add no appreciable bulk. I wasn't a fan of the switches on the original TLR 7, but the new switch for the 7A is pretty decent.

Ditto.
x300 goes on my full-size blasters, the TLR-7A goes on my G19. I'm not crazy about Surefire's compact lights but, their full-size and rifle lights are hand-down fantastic...so long as your checking account can handle it.
Seeing my comments in the older thread, I've since removed Inforce from my list of recommended, I had a APLc that just couldn't handle the recoil impulses, the board and/or the soldering was coming loose which made the switch not work correctly. Very disappointing as their design is the best for for conceal carry; some thoughtful design lines. Hope they get their act together.

Posts: 14573 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I've said it many time, so feel free to flame me, but I think putting a light on a gun is a bad idea.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Blue Machine
Picture of Phred
posted Hide Post
Weapon mounted lights don’t make guns dangerous.

I have really come to appreciate Streamlight’ TLR-7a. The TLR-1HL certainly has more output, but I like the switches of the -7a much more. For a full size gun, I’d be inclined to try the new(ish) TLR-9. It is a longer light than the TLR-1, but keeps the switches of the -7a. My only concern would be the length of the light impacting holster compatibility.

https://www.streamlight.com/pr...s/detail/index/tlr-9

Posts: 1625 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: February 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Ignore him. He’s just a troll that spews the same dumbassery every time he gets the chance.

He loves the attention he gets from popping off about weapon mounted lights and Trump hating. It’s just drive by posting because he knows people will react to his comments.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Ignore him. He’s just a troll that spews the same dumbassery every time he gets the chance.

He loves the attention he gets from popping off about weapon mounted lights and Trump hating. It’s just drive by posting because he knows people will react to his comments.

No, that is my honest opinion. If you don't like it that is your right.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post