SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Weapon mounted light
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weapon mounted light Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Just remember you DON’T have to point a gun with a light directly at an unknown in order to identify them. Assuming all you have is weapon mounted and you are trying to identify and not disorient ANY modern weapon light will have more then enough “splash” from low or high ready to light up a pretty large area without crossing a potential non threat with a muzzle.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
As I’ve often said before in these discussions, if there is an intruder in my house, having a gun pointed at him will be the least of his worries. I understand that some people might have to deal with situations in which drunken adult children or other irresponsible individuals are wandering around their homes in the middle of the night and therefore they need to investigate strange noises with their guns pointed at the ceiling or floor lest they be startled and shoot someone unintentionally, but that’s not true of all of us.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Ignore him. He’s just a troll that spews the same dumbassery every time he gets the chance.

He loves the attention he gets from popping off about weapon mounted lights and Trump hating. It’s just drive by posting because he knows people will react to his comments.

No, that is my honest opinion. If you don't like it that is your right.
There are more advocates than detractors, and certainly you're entitled to your opinion. Most people that have never taken an actual low light shooting course using a WML don't seem to understand off-axis and indirect illumination.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just bought a Foxtrot for my 365. 100 lumens. Easily the weakest flashlight I have ever owned on a weapon. I’m curious how well the back splash lights up a room.

I think Blume is a nut. That being said, I think anyone who puts on a light should at a minimum consider how they plan on using it. For me that means I never actuate with my strong hand. I think it would be real easy to actuate the wrong switch if you haven’t at least thought about how it’s used. I like them. I also like having a separate flashlight as well.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: pedropcola,

Posts: 7473 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
As I’ve often said before in these discussions, if there is an intruder in my house, having a gun pointed at him will be the least of his worries. I understand that some people might have to deal with situations in which drunken adult children or other irresponsible individuals are wandering around their homes in the middle of the night and therefore they need to investigate strange noises with their guns pointed at the ceiling or floor lest they be startled and shoot someone unintentionally, but that’s not true of all of us.

All I was trying to point out was weapon lights can be used in ways other than purely offensive in nature. The reality is there is a vast number of folks who have weapon lights and that will be the only light they grab only to find out they were started by their kid getting a 2am snack and breaking a glass etc.

Options are good, IMO.

Now all that said I am just an idjit on the interwebz. Please NEVER take my thoughts as true tactical advice.

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
All I was trying to point out was weapon lights can be used in ways other than purely offensive in nature.

You are of course absolutely correct, but my point was that different people have different possible situations to consider, and that is very often not recognized by people who think only of the situations they might encounter. Many times we see opinions of the categorical “lights on guns are dangerous” sort, and that’s just ridiculous. If someone can’t handle a gun with a light on it safely and properly, then the first thing he should do is get rid of the gun itself, because that’s what’s dangerous, not the light.

And as has also been discussed before, ideally one should have two lights if it’s necessary to investigate a strange noise in the dark: one mounted on the firearm, and a separate handheld light. They can—and should—be used for different purposes.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Yep. No arguments here.

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
While I endeavor to train as much as possible to shoot one-handed, the fact remains that I am better with both hands. Having a WML allows me to shoot with a two-handed grip...and that's not an advantage that I'm willing to give up. I work at night. This time of year, my whole 12 hour shift takes place in the dark. We use lights for everything.

Just because you're pointing a gun at something doesn't mean you are going to shoot it. There are situations that warrant it. I've pointed guns at people plenty of times, because I've had good reason to do so. None of them ended up getting shot, because they either got smart and complied, or we were able to use a lesser degree of force to take them into custody. Action beats reaction, and I'm not going to give up any tactical advantage to someone who's illegal actions have placed us both in this situation.

That said, I also carry handheld lights (note the plural) for situations that don't warrant unholstering my gun. But clearing my house, even though I have kids at home, I can still accomplish with just a WML if necessary, without muzzling any family members. The light has a broad throw and will light up the majority of a room, not just where the gun is pointed.

If someone hasn't put in the time or training to learn to use a WML properly, then they certainly shouldn't use one. But understand that you are limiting your options and putting yourself at a disadvantage by doing so.

So back to the OPs question: for a quality, reasonably priced light, I like the streamlight TLR-1 for service-sized handguns. The TLR-7a is also a great option for smaller guns, or larger ones too if you are willing to give up some brightness. I have the original TLR-7, and while I like the size and the fact that I don't need to remove the light to change the battery, the switches leave something to be desired. The -7a fixes that problem, and I will likely be picking one up at some point.

Posts: 8568 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I’ve pretty much standardized on the TLR-7A low switch.

Issued duty weapon: gen4 31 with trijicon rmr and tlr-7a

Cut my holster down. Feels much better when seated in the car

One of my off duty guns is a Glock 45 with TLR-7A and the same RMR we are issued at work.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Thanks for a reasonable discussion... and yes, I am probably off base just throwing out it is a bad idea.... Obviously most of you have thought this light on a gun out and understand the inherent danger. What concerns me is the people who don't have a clue to safe gun handling and putting a light on a gun for them is just one step closer to a bad thing happening. Training and more training is the answer. I respect y'alls opinions and have learned from this discussion, thanks.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
So I see a thread titled “Weapon mounted light” with the last post from Blume9mm and my first thought before I even open the thread is “guy can’t help himself, just loves touching that stove.” Never did start your own thread to debate it, did you?

As for the topic, as recommended, a Streamlight TLR-1 is a great choice, especially in the HL (high lumen) versions. I have the 800 lumen version on my carry gun once it goes in the headboard for the night. Plenty of light, and no complaints.

Posts: 17125 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've read threads about this topic on this sight and others a number of times like most of you. There is nearly always someone that gets going on the "dangers" of WMLs. The thing that I've brought up is that almost nobody gives a second thought to a weapon mounted light on a long gun being used to search and clear, but somehow when it's a pistol, it's "different."

A quality handheld light is an essential part of the loadout for these tasks, even with a long gun, but a weapon mounted light makes tremendous sense.

Posts: 5163 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well... I will hop on: My HD pistol has a WML. My carry pistol does not as I dont want to add bulk and complexity to an EDC pistol. I would re-evaluate that practice if I was still a cop, in order to be able to better positively ID a threat and say so in an official report. As a non LEO, I no longer go to places where a WML is a must. Even in my home the only area I feel is a WML is needed is my stairwell between my bedroom and the living area. After darkness has set in, take a stroll around your home or business and evaluate your lighting need. I can always opt for my hand held high lumen light if I find myself in full darkness. Everyone is carrying one now, right? I have not found myself in absolute pitch black darkness enough to the point that my tritium night sights wont get me on target.
I only activate a WML with my weak hand. If reduced to using only one hand, I could get by. YMMV. Like any other tool, training with WMLs is a must.
If $$$ is no object, mount a Surefire light. For bang for the buck, a Streamlight in whatever model serves you best cant be beat.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16089 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do not agree with Blume. At all. However, I think if you mount a wml on a handgun it’s essential that you “chair fly” how to employ it. What you will and won’t do, him to activate it, when, how, steady, intermittent, etc. It’s not like changing out your sights to a pair of night sights. Nothing there changes your fundamental handling of the weapon. Adding a light does. There’s no argument. You are manipulating a switch in close proximity to the trigger with one of your hands. Under stress.

I am not qualified to train anyone on this topic. I am smart enough to set parameters for myself that are safe and within my skill set. For me that means only off hand manipulation. No matter what. That’s my set of rules I train by with lights. There’s more but those mainly concern using the light to obliquely light up objects until I’m ready to point a gun at someone. I respect the LEO’s saying that you can point a gun at someone without shooting them but respectfully LEO’s have way more latitude than civilians in that regard, as they should.

As for lights on rifles, it’s a non issue for me because they are always setup for offhand use and it’s half a foot away or more from trigger. No one actuates a light on a rifle with their trigger finger.

What I think Blume should say is that lights require a certain thought and consideration before slapping it on your gun and saying all good. The fact that it requires action right near the trigger dictates train with it before employing it. It’s not like swapping grips, adding night sights, or even getting a trigger job. It is a fundamental shift in how you operate the controls so think/plan/train accordingly.

Disclaimer: I believe in lights. They are on almost all of my serious guns, definitely on my bedside guns/rifle.

Posts: 7473 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post