SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    You ever wonder just how far into the future certain calibers will last?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You ever wonder just how far into the future certain calibers will last? Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted
I mean look at 9x19 or .45 or .38 special. These are all rounds that have been with us for a century or more. A century where we have gone from horses/the Model T to walking on the moon and the internet. It just amazes me how some calibers Just soldier on and on and on.

I believe we will colonize space at some point and by God there will probably be 12 gauge shotgun and a .45 pistol out there too.

I was just musing at all the history some of these cartridges have seen.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
The .22 is likely the oldest, still common round. And I agree...it'll be out there with the 12 gauge.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of solanog
posted Hide Post
On the other hand: 40S&W, 357Sig, 45 GAP!
Sad, I relly like .357Sig!

Taurus PT917CS
Beretta 96 S/S Vertec
Glock G31
Sig P228
Ruger MKIII 12/23/06

Posts: 574 | Location: Cartago, Costa Rica | Registered: December 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by solanog:
I relly like .357Sig!

Ditto

Posts: 118 | Location: Hampton, VA / Salvo, NC | Registered: June 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
As someone who shoots several calibers you haven't been able to buy in 60-80 years and several calibers you could never buy.... no. Wink

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
30-30 and 45-70 seem to be doing fine!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:

I believe we will colonize space at some point and by God there will probably be 12 gauge shotgun and a .45 pistol out there too.

Probably a 1911, and someone's gonna complain about it! Big Grin

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8336 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I think that .22 Short has been around for 160 years or so.

Still easier to find (and cheaper) than a box of 9mm Steyr or 440 Cor-Bon.

Posts: 9142 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use:

.17 HMR, .22 LR, .32 ACP, .380, 9mm, .38 Special, .357 Magnum, .45 ACP, 5.56, .308, and 12 gauge

All have been around a long time except the 17 HMR. I supposed the next newest round is 5.56, dating to the early 60's, followed by the .308 from the 50's.

Seems for something to really have staying power, it has to be issued by more than one military and/or more than one country's police force. That puts a lot of guns out there and a lot of ammo, reaching a critical mass that keeps the demand up.

It's kind of sad that "better" rounds don't get enough traction to go far. A lot of innovation goes out the window as we tend to stick with the tried and true.

.327 Federal Magnum was a great idea for a J-frame, but it virtually dead
.357 Sig is used by the Secret Service and some other LEO organizations, but it's not doing well in the consumer market now
.45 GAP might as well have been Dead on Arrival.
6.8 mm SPC didn't get very far.

And so on...

Wondering what's going to happen with .300 Blackout, and if the .40 S&W will stick around or go the way of the 10 mm.

Posts: 4701 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
.45 GAP was a bit of a non-starter. Glock wanted their name on a round, so they cobbled something together that wasn't very compelling.

357SIG has price issues compared to 9mm, without a really compelling practical advantage. I think it'll fade from the LE world. But there are enough people who like it that it will stay available. It's sort of the 10mm of 9mm.

.40 has lost some popularity in the LE world, but it's still there and it big numbers. It's certainly not going away. And it's only one well publicized 9mm failure to stop disaster from coming back on the up cycle. For many civilian shooters, it doesn't have a compelling advantage, especially for non-defensive use. 9mm is cheaper and easier as a range round.

quote:
Originally posted by solanog:
On the other hand: 40S&W, 357Sig, 45 GAP!
Sad, I relly like .357Sig!

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:

12 Gauge will be around, mostly in sawed off Browning 2000's on the moons of Jupiter.

Posts: 15886 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Didn't Hicks have a 12 gauge in Aliens?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
Didn't Hicks have a 12 gauge in Aliens?

And a 10mm rifle... What else would you use against aggressive, angry Aliens? Big Grin

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
45-70 seem to be doing fine!

No, you must be wrong. Back in 1990 a buddy and I went to a gun show. I bought a Browning 1878 in .45-70 because it was obsolete and priced accordingly. A few aisles along a guy had a whole stack of ammo for it. I didn't need it because I still had a pile for my Springfield, but it had a price of $4 a box. And the seller was willing to sell it to me for $3 if I bought it all. His reasoning was he hadn't sold a box in his shop in a couple or years. He just wanted it gone. Smile So my buddy met me halfway, willing to carry my new gun so I could handle the ammo. Then a while along another guy had a bunch more. He was willing to meet the first guys price if I bought all of his.

Talk about being loaded down. So we went to the car to lessen our load. Didn't see any more. But not long ago I saw some in a gun shop. That guy wanted $40 a box for his new production. I wasn't buying. The smart buyers look at the annual list of most sold reloading dies. Its always on the list. Never on the top like the .30-06, but usually in the top 10.

And that isn't really a great indicator because dies generally last a lifetime. Yours. There are just calibers that almost everyone who shoots them reloads. I'll add in two near and dear to my heart. The .22 Jet and the .32-20. Factory ammo is too expensive and hard to find. That scarcity is what lets the shops keep their prices way too high.

Oops, I left off the .30 Lugar. I still buy every box I see cheap at gun shows..

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
I use:

.17 HMR, .22 LR, .32 ACP, .380, 9mm, .38 Special, .357 Magnum, .45 ACP, 5.56, .308, and 12 gauge

Holy shit, Lefty, you need to join a support group like a gun forum! Big Grin

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post