SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Hi Power mods
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hi Power mods Login/Join 
posted
I picked up one of the Turkish hi power clones recently and was curious what people recommend for mods. I like the more modern sights, but will likely color the dots with "tactical" sharpie. Needs a bigger safety, G10 of some sort and the mag safety removed. Also need a hammer replacement. Only gun I've ever owned that bites me when I shoot it. And skateboard tape on the front strap.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yankee Marshal pointed out that his does not seem to have OEM-style cuts for the sights. So, little chance of replacements being an easy fit.

Posts: 379 | Location: Phoenix Aridzona | Registered: March 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Novaks did a very nice job installing sights for me. Very reasonable price as I recall.
I have an Argentine model.... I installed a larger safety, Novak sights, and a lighter main hammer spring. I don't remember how much lighter I went with the spring , but it gave me a #5 trigger pull. I know that I went middle of the road of what other folks were using. I removed my mag .safety and that makes a very nice improvement in trigger pull quality. Your HP will never have a 1911 type of trigger.

There is a Hi Power owners forum . There is a HP "bible" written by a Mr. Camp ( maybe Stephan Camp , but not sure). It's well worth the money and he really knows his stuff. As far as the hammer bite....some folks replace the hammer and others simply grind a little bit of the hammer off. I have small hands and mine doesn't bite me.
I'll try to remember the web site. Have fun !! mike

PS:

https://forums.1911forum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15

Posts: 1264 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Misanthropic Philanthrope
Picture of MWC
posted Hide Post
Another High Power artist is Karl Sokol. He is in VT and his service is called Chestnut Mountain Sports. https://chestnutmountainsports.net/cmsgallery.htm

Posts: 6772 | Registered: June 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am leaning toward cylinder & slide for an extended strong side safety, sear and type II commander hammer. I'm fine with the sights for now, just gonna black out the rear.

And more mags. New platform for me, so I gotta start collecting mags until I hit the requisite 2 dozen (full 50 cal can).

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfe 21:
I am leaning toward cylinder & slide for an extended strong side safety, sear and type II commander hammer. I'm fine with the sights for now, just gonna black out the rear.

And more mags. New platform for me, so I gotta start collecting mags until I hit the requisite 2 dozen (full 50 cal can).

The factory mark III black plastic grips help keep your hand away from the hammer a little bit. A trigger job is usually a necessity on a high power. unless you like a DA like trigger in a SA gun.

Not sure why you'd need anywhere near 20 mags for a pistol. An AR or Mini 14 I could see it.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of T.Webb
posted Hide Post
There's a great article on the Hi Power in the current "Recoil" magazine. The lady gunsmith who did the mods really did a nice job.

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^ Will check it out, thanks.

Jimmy, honestly won't say I need that many but I usually have at least that for guns I like (226, glock 17, 19, 1911 and 220). I'm a horder I guess. I probably have a hundred or so AR mags. Even a couple dozen Colt pattern stick mags for my PCC.

posted Hide Post
Hi Powers are probably my favorite centerfire autoloaders!

Check out Garthwaite also: he has a beautiful safety that he makes if you send the gun in.

I bought a C&S safety once, but had to trim the width by almost half as it was just too wide for my tastes.

It was then a tad wider than the OEM one, but was a flat surface, instead of a rounded one.

I've used C&S and EGW Sears- and prefer EGW.
I've used C&S, Garthwaite and Elite Warrior [used to be Chuck Warner] True Radius hammers, and tend to like the Warner hammer the best.

I have a 9mm with the EW/CWarner True Radius hammer and sear combo and the pull is crisp, and about 4.5-5 lbs.

I have a .40 and it is equally crisp, but the pull is closer to 7 lbs. I haven't 'massaged' the sear spring on it yet.

For triggers, the C&S and Garthwaite seem the best. C&S seems to decrease takeup a bit, but I like the Garthwaite one better. They have the ability to be fine-tuned to eliminate overtravel.

Another option is the SFS system, which you can get from BHSpring SOlutions dot com.

It is wacky, weird, and works. Also, the install takes the trigger to around the 5 lb region.

It just isn't as 'crisp' as I've been able to tune with OEM/EGW/Warner/Garthwaite/C&S ignition parts. Yet- I haven't been able to 'massage' that either.

It is neat though: hammer is 'locked' down when it is cocked. Sweep the safety off and hammer 'springs' to rear, ready to be tripped by trigger pull.

Many feel it is unnecessary- but I think it is cool.

only one of my BHPs have it though: I am not getting rid of 4.5 lb crisp EGW setup, or factory parts in 1958 Austrian national police HP.

Good luck- these are addictive!!!

Sigs and Non-Sigs: I enjoy having options!

Posts: 683 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello! Wolfe 21, if you are interested in mods check out KSCUSTOMS.com Kent Singletary has done great work for me I have a Feg that he installed a beaver tail along with a C&S hammer that makes the Hi Power sweet to shoot and no bite, mine had sig P226 sights installed on it and it shoots POA.

Posts: 653 | Location: TX Panhandle | Registered: December 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Check out Don Williams at the Action Works. He does fine work on BHP’s.

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcs1564
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
Check out Don Williams at the Action Works. He does fine work on BHP’s.

Yes, he certainly does. Here’s two that he did for me:

------------
SP2022 - 9mm

Posts: 1260 | Location: CT | Registered: January 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Don is great!

Custom safety
Mag safety removed
straight trigger
Novak rear with gold bead front
Trigger job..figure 4.5-5.5lb

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I DIG my 1989 BHP. Novak did an outstanding (and quick) job putting in night sights. I swapped-out the wood grips, which were custom but too "fat" for my tastes, with some Hogue thin wood grips. New grip screws too. Mine already had the magazine safety disconnected and a lot of trigger work (too much, my smith had to fix it as it sometimes had hammer-follow). Mine shoots so well.

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post