SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Help with P228 purchase
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help with P228 purchase Login/Join 
posted
I have read about how awesome these older P228 Sigs are and was hoping someone can chime in and give me a hand on value and what to look for. The P228 has W Germany stamped on the side, a serial number on the frame and the slide (I should check to see if their is a serial number on the barrel). KA is stamped on the frame with some proof marks. It's listed at $589 with box and 2 13 round mags. Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Posts: 246 | Location: Chicago Area | Registered: November 16, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Impossible to say without pics and more info on condition. What is the venue?

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15561 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
Does the gun show much wear from shooting and/or carry?
Does it look like it was an EDC pistol?
Field strip it and check the internals. Does the barrel look as if it's had more than a couple thousand rounds through it?

KA is date code for 1990 manufacture. If it's tagged for $589 at a gun shop, that sounds like a good deal. If it's a private party asking $589, I'd still say the price is in line w/ FMV. It would have to be in pretty rough shape to be worth less than $589. I believe years ago, 228 police trade-ins w/ a lot of holster wear were priced for around $500, and dealers had no trouble selling them.

Of course, we could give you better advice if you provided photos.

Posts: 3185 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I take the drive out there tomorrow and take some photo's. Looks like its barely been shot. How would I know if its a CPO?

Posts: 246 | Location: Chicago Area | Registered: November 16, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brianfede:
Thanks. I take the drive out there tomorrow and take some photo's. Looks like its barely been shot. How would I know if its a CPO?

It will have a red plastic box

Posts: 1568 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Blue Dog...

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brianfede:
Thanks Blue Dog...

I forgot they also come in cardboard. Notice the UDE in front of model number

Posts: 1568 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it is in decent shape I would jump on it CPO or not. Others may disagree but to me the older guns just feel better in the hand and for me, shoot better.

Sigs
S&Ws
Walthers
H&Ks
and a few others

Posts: 399 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is not a bad price for a good condition P228. They are one heck of a pistol. They are in the "if you could only have one pistol" category.

Posts: 6874 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
About average price for gun store if in good condition.
I like the fit, feel and balance of a loaded P228 in my large hand better than any other 9mm that I have shot.
Remember Sigs are addictive and tend to multiply.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My bad. Drinking and posting. Carry on.

Posts: 1361 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
It's impossible to say one way or the other without fondling it. That is a fair price for a good condition P228 with two mags, though.

On a side note, the P228 is a fantastic platform. It is the one pistol I will never part with.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post