SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Reduced Power P226 Hammer Spring
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reduced Power P226 Hammer Spring Login/Join 
posted
Anyone use a reduced power hammer spring in a 226 ? I’d like to reduce the double action pull weight in my MK25 but still retain 100% reliability. American primers and ammo only used in this gun .
Thanks in advance.

Posts: 705 | Location: S.W.Florida | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nick B:
Anyone use a reduced power hammer spring in a 226 ? I’d like to reduce the double action pull weight in my MK25 but still retain 100% reliability. American primers and ammo only used in this gun . Probably should call it a mainspring.
Thanks in advance.

Posts: 705 | Location: S.W.Florida | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NoQuota
posted Hide Post
Buy a pack of Wolfe springs and see what works in your particular gun.

I have a 17lb spring in mine, and it has worked flawlessly.

Others haven't had as good luck, but some have been able to go as low as 18 pounds.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Posts: 597 | Location: St Augustine, FL | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, I like 19 lbs. Strong enough to be reliable, but a big improvement over the stock #24.

Some have had luck going as low as 17 w/o light primer strikes but 19 is as low as I'll go since it is also the recommended weight used by Grayguns in their duty/carry grade action jobs. I haven't had any light strikes in thousands of rds.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I run 17lb Wolff springs as well. Not ever a problem.

Posts: 2551 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Hit a good polish on the strut while you are at it.

That will make a difference as well.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NOT compromised!
Picture of SIGWALLY
posted Hide Post
Self defense 18# minimum. Target and plinking 17# is fine. The above numbers are recommended by several top Sig smiths. Including our own Bruce Gray.

Posts: 1527 | Location: Tampa Bay, Florida | Registered: July 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Hit a good polish on the strut while you are at it.

That will make a difference as well.

Amen!

Otherwise, one might reach a point (when futzing with spring weight) at which an objective man should ask, “So, why again did you chose the DA/SA?”

Admittedly, my experience and skill at this is relatively light. Yet, I’ve shot enough to realize / accept that my problems are not with the spring weight.

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been using Wolff RP springs in my P239, P226 and P229's for over 15 years. Started with 19# and now use 18#. Experimented with 17#.

Some salient points:

1) Smoothness of the DA is as important as the trigger weight. Some need polishing, some don't. If the pistol has a heavy, crappy trigger, a lighter spring will provide a lighter crappy trigger pull.

2) My experience is that a slightly lighter weight is beneficial. I shoot better and more consistently with a trigger weight lighter than factory. Bought my first DA/SA Sig in 1996. Has over 47,000 rounds now.

3) Generally, most factory mainsprings/hammer springs are heavier than necessary. For a variety of good reasons. Once sold, the manufacturer has no idea what ammo will be used, what conditions it will be used/carried under and how well maintained it will be.

4) Consider every pistol different. Thoroughly test each one with the ammo to be used. Especially with the lighter springs.

5) Be aware that while lightening the DA pull you are also lightening the SA pull. When I was experimenting with the 17#, one of the pistols ended up with an overly light SA bullseye trigger. Changed to a heavier spring.

My experience:

1) The 19# is a no brainer. As mentioned earlier, GrayGuns uses the 19#.

2) I now use 18# (10 years) and have never had a failure to ignite with reloads, ball or SD ammo. Slowly advancing arthritis.

3) My testing with the 17# showed it to produce funky results (feel) with my Sigs. Buy the three spring kit and decide/test for yourself. I didn't like the 17#.

4) I have also polished/tuned all of my actions. It's not difficult, just light polishing on appropriate contact surfaces.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The SRT kit in addition to greatly reducing the reset may improve the trigger pull as well. My P6 had a horrific trigger. After polishing all of the internals (except the hammer/sear engagement) and a #19 spring, it became decent, but still not real smooth. After SRT kit, it was nearly the equivalent of my GGI tuned P226.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bought my first DA/SA Sig in 1996. Has over 47,000 rounds now.

Whoo hoo! Impressive, and at .20/cents a round that's $9,400!

^^^When reloading pays off.^^^

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I have an 18# Wolff spring in my P220. It's been 100% on many different brands of ammo.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimb888:
quote:
Bought my first DA/SA Sig in 1996. Has over 47,000 rounds now.

Whoo hoo! Impressive, and at .20/cents a round that's $9,400!

^^^When reloading pays off.^^^

Yep...probably only cost me $4,000 or so. Smile

Prior to that I used 1911's (24 years). I was the first in our weekly defensive shooting group to use the .40. Brass pickup and sorting was a breeze, as everybody else was .45 ACP. Also, one of the group was an active duty LEO. He'd bring me small buckets of once-fired .40 cases from the police range. Sigh...

Beside the normal RS replacement, only thing I ever replaced was the tiny hammer return spring and the TB spring. The TB spring was the old style without the relief coil. The relief coil was designed to prevent the kind of failure I had - broke at the top of the spring. The coil eliminates/reduces the stress point.

It was not used for competition. Everything was defensive drills. P229...great pistol.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nipper,

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pardon my ignorance. Only been into Sig for a few years. I recently assembled a slightly custom P226, but am appalled at the DA pull with a factory branded mainspring from TGSupply. Can anyone tell me what the standard weight would be?

Thanks in advance . . .

"I won't engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man."

Posts: 29 | Location: TX | Registered: October 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Apologies again. Missed earlier post with the info

"I won't engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man."

Posts: 29 | Location: TX | Registered: October 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mdksz:
Pardon my ignorance. Only been into Sig for a few years. I recently assembled a slightly custom P226, but am appalled at the DA pull with a factory branded mainspring from TGSupply. Can anyone tell me what the standard weight would be?

Thanks in advance . . .

I don’t think Sig publishes that info, but the consensus seems to be that factory DA/SA uses a 21#.

Posts: 181 | Location: NEPA | Registered: March 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Best source for "factory weight" on hammer spring/mainspring estimates is Wolff Gunsprings. To paraphrase that State Farm commercial: "We know a thing or two about gunsprings". Smile

Old, original long metal strut is 24 Lb. The plastic base struts are 20 Lb. Make sure you order the correct style.

https://www.gunsprings.com/SIG...226/cID1/mID4/dID254

posted Hide Post
Nipper, thanks for the reference. I was thinking standard was 21# myself and when changed to 19# I did not feel that much reduction. Well, if standard is 20# I wouldn’t. Think I willtry the 18# now, just to see.

Posts: 2 | Registered: November 05, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nipper, btw, I once had an instructor in a course who stated “an expert is the son-of-a-bitch from out of town”. Just to add another definition.

Posts: 2 | Registered: November 05, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smscnc:
Nipper, thanks for the reference. I was thinking standard was 21# myself and when changed to 19# I did not feel that much reduction. Well, if standard is 20# I wouldn’t. Think I willtry the 18# now, just to see.

Per NoQuota, get the Hammer Spring Pak - three springs 17, 18, 19#. Only way to determine what you like and what works for you is test them. The three pak is only $9.00 versus 4.29 for a single spring.