SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Dry fire inquiry
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dry fire inquiry Login/Join 
Just mobilize it
posted
So I dry fire my centerfire weapons here and there, of course without issue as they are designed to handle it unless it’s excessive then I have been under the impression that a snap cap is the best insurance.

Well I picked up a Smith and Wesson M and P compact in .22 caliber today on a whim, and I have not had a .22 in the stable for a long while, so checking it out I forgot and dry fired it a couple times. Then I was like, “crap you idiot!” I know that it CAN cause damage as the pin may break from striking the chamber wall, but how likely is it from a few dry firings here and there? The manual says not to at all, but is that just to deter the regular practice of it? I would like to think that a few times would’ve fine even for a .22. Am I wrong?

My old Ruger MarkII and 10/22 got dry fired all the time on accident and I never broke a firing pin so it seems that the 22’s can handle at least SOME small amounts of dry fire. Otherwise wouldn’t we hear more about everyone having to get new pins?!

Posts: 4608 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
you should probably be fine - there is the danger of breaking firing pin like you said or peening the end of it out of shape or peening on the edge of the chamber but once or twice probably won't cause that

Steve

Posts: 14 | Registered: March 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
It doesn’t take much to damage a 22 in my experience.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most modern 22LR's can be dry fired with no issues. It's mainly the older guns where the firing pin would actually strike the chamber rim. Of course always consult your owner's manual when it comes to dry firing.

Posts: 934 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Absolutely not knocking what the gun’s manual may say on dry-firing, I have a first-person experience with the exact pistol you’re talking about.

My local Sheriff’s Office offers handgun safety training periodically. For the class (which, in my case, was conducted as part of a broader “Citizens’ Sheriff’s Academy” program), everyone gets to extensively dry-fire a S&W M&P-22 following a safety briefing. In my class, some 20 or so of us dry-fired the pistols probably a hundred times each before later going to the adjoining range and firing 50 rounds each.

Granted, I assume these guns are receiving departmental armory care and attention; not sure how much - if at all - such care would head-off troubles brought about by extensive dry-fire.

Regardless, I was really impressed with the gun - it’s on my “list” for sure.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ Good to know thanks. Appreciate the comments guys.

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I always use a snap cap no matter what.

IIRC, all Kel-Tec pistols are strictly no dry-fire due to the design of the lightweight, high velocity hammer on them.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

IIRC, all Kel-Tec pistols are strictly no dry-fire due to the design of the lightweight, high velocity hammer on them.

KTs are throw away guns with X amount of trigger pulls built into the life expectancy. Use them as you see fit....

Posts: 465 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JDG:
quote:

KTs are throw away guns with X amount of trigger pulls built into the life expectancy. Use them as you see fit....

There's gotta be one in every crowd.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

You will cause much butt hurt with your opinion. Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Why not ask Trayvon Martin how he feels about being shot with a Kel-Tec?

Oh wait, he's dead.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
KTs are not built for the long haul, they do work well for their intended purpose. My P11 needed constant deburring, something no other compact pistol I have shot ever needed. I swear the slide was never hardened on that thing.

Posts: 465 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ewills
posted Hide Post
Center fire snap caps are very useful and I have and use them in several calibers. .22 "snap caps" are intended for testing feed action and chamber size. If you buy the aluminum cased snap caps in .22 and dry fire, they will be destroyed quickly by the rim fire striker pin. I use cheap drywall anchors on .22 guns to dry fire. They will actually feed on some semi-autos....

Posts: 308 | Location: NOVA | Registered: February 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ewills:
Center fire snap caps are very useful and I have and use them in several calibers. .22 "snap caps" are intended for testing feed action and chamber size. If you buy the aluminum cased snap caps in .22 and dry fire, they will be destroyed quickly by the rim fire striker pin. I use cheap drywall anchors on .22 guns to dry fire. They will actually feed on some semi-autos....

^^^^That is pretty cool!!
Keltec used to say 6000 round life expectancy on their web site, guess they build them better now, or just omit it...

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I think a few dry fires won't hurt, but don't push it.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try using spent 22 case

Posts: 648 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dirty Harry has the answer: "You've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?'..." Razz

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Got some anchors and they work great so no need to stress the pin and breech face I guess. Thanks guys.

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Clever (drywall anchors).

I always use Snap Caps or some equivalent.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post