SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Finally got the holy grail of Sig P210 pistols....
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finally got the holy grail of Sig P210 pistols.... Login/Join 
posted
I tried to resist the temptation to acquire one of these unicorns, but when the opportunity presented itself, it was hard to let it pass by. I never see them for sale. Without one of these pistols, I don't think I could have ever said I own the finest handguns in the world, so I had no choice.

I’ve discussed the Sig P210 many times over the years on various forums, but here’s another basic breakdown of its history. I'm far from a Swiss Arms historian, so please forgive me if I misspeak in any way. The Sig P210 was originally a military pistol. It was introduced in 1947 after being in development for a number of years (delayed by WWII). It was adopted by the Swiss army in 1949, finally replacing the Luger. While it doesn't quite have the service pedigree of, say, the Browning Hi Power, the P210 has a storied past and has been used by a number of countries for various functions over the years. From a quality and accuracy standpoint, the Sig always had the Browning beat by a landslide. The accuracy of the Sig is legendary and the Swiss army routinely used them out to 100 yards. These pistols were basically entirely hand built in Switzerland, starting from slides and frames that are machined from solid carbon steel forgings. All these fine materials and precision craftsmanship made the P210 a very expensive gun to build, which helped lead to its replacement by the P220 in the mid 1970’s.

Once replaced in its service life, the P210 lived on in a sporting role, with the target variants like the P210-6 and P210-5 becoming more popular. Production ended in 2004 or 2005, primarily due to manufacturing costs. In 2010, Sig Sauer reintroduced the P210, as the German P210 Legend. The German models were high quality and great shooting pistols. Some may even argue that the newer German models were even a bit more refined. However, I’ll always prefer the old Swiss examples for their incredible old world build quality and durability. More specifically, the forged frame models from the 1960’s and 1970’s were the best. Once the serial numbers changed to the 300xxx series, the frames were generally CNC and part of that old world touch was forever gone.

As for the pistol itself, the Sig P210 is basically peerless. To me, the forged Sig P210 target variants rank as the very finest handguns ever produced. In my carefully thought out opinion, no other automatic pistol ever constructed during any time period has combined the build quality, durability, accuracy, and service pedigree to the degree of this Sig. There are pistols that can match or maybe even exceed it in a one category or another, but when combined, nothing else comes close, as far as I’m concerned. In fact, the only handgun that can come close to matching it in all these criteria is a revolver, the Manurhin MR 73.

The reason I’m holding this particular example in such high regard is that its an extremely rare forged model built on the heavy National Match frame. It’s not to be confused with later Sig, SAN, or Sig Sauer CNC heavy framed P210’s. Those are much more common and much more pedestrian. According to my sources, well under 300 of the forged heavy frame models were ever produced and they almost never trade hands. When they do, prices are stratospheric. All of them were –5 or –6 target shooting P210 variants, this one being the P210-6.

This particular example was produced in 1975. It was one of 50 built by Sig for Hofmann & Reinhart of Zürich in March of that year, all of which were fitted with military sights. Half of them were chambered in 30 Luger and the other half in 9mm. This is the latter. As one can imagine, build quality is way off the charts. It is clear to me that Sig put their full manufacturing and craftsmanship prowess into these. As mentioned above, the forged Sig P210 target variants from the mid 1960’s until the late 1970’s are the finest handguns ever built, as far as I’m concerned. Furthermore, this very small run of forged heavy frame examples is the best of the best. What I’m saying is that they’re the finest pistols ever produced, in my opinion. Its the greatest of all time. Nothing I own matches it. The closest is probably my standard frame P210-6 from 1967. However, I think the National Match frame really puts this one over the top.

Condition is impeccable. Its 42 years old and looks new, other than some minor storage marks. I don’t know if this pistol has ever been fired outside the factory. It doesn’t appear to have been. The checkered walnut grips are immaculate. The gun is tight as a drum. It’s a perfect example of just how fine the Swiss can build a handgun and the P210 is the only handgun Sig ever produced. It was the pride and joy of the company.

Please enjoy the pics and share your thoughts...

Thanks for reading.

Here it is with my other current P210's from 1954, 1967, and 2002.

Posts: 1315 | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of highlander81
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting this.
It’s gems like this post that bring me by the forum each day.

Such a beautiful pistol!

Posts: 444 | Location: Southern Alberta, Canada | Registered: April 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shackelford
posted Hide Post
That truly is the best of the best. Beautiful gun bac! Have you had her to the range yet? Did it come with the test target? What kind of groups did the factory get?

Posts: 831 | Location: Volunteer | Registered: January 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well that's about as good as it gets in Pistol World.

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Wow!

Posts: 3248 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fusternc
posted Hide Post
A beautiful collection!

Posts: 1373 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fantastic.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beautiful example, thanks for sharing. I am continually surprised by all the variations of the 210 that Sig produced over the years. I assumed that Sig only produced heavy frame models in the late 90s.

Do you plan to shoot it, or is it a safe queen?

Would you mind telling where you got it? Given its rarity, I would be curious how you found such a gem.

Thanks again
Mike

Posts: 117 | Location: Schererville, IN | Registered: March 09, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
She has pointy knees.

Smile

Posts: 4976 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
There's something about those slide/frame serial numbers lining up that's aesthetically pleasing to me.

Good find! Please tell me you're going to shoot her?

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8837 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Another superb pistol, worthy of 3 keyboards. I'm on the 4th keyboard, now. Big Grin

I clearly know very little of the various P210s. So, a few questions to the master.

1- Are all the heavy frames forged?
2- If not, which model heavy frames are not forged?
3- I see that some P210-5 and P210-6 have the heavy frame. Is the heavy frame made on some other variants, also?
4- What do you think about the German made P210 Legend compared to the Swiss made P210? I've read elsewhere another rather well known P210 expert trashing the German one. When asked for reasons why it is trash, all we heard was cricket.

Thanks, bac.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Where's the 1913 pic rail? What kind of Sig doesn't have an accessory rail? And does Geissele make a trigger kit for it?

Kidding!

That P210 is a real beauty!

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Nice collection there.

quote:
Originally posted by DrewR:
Where's the 1913 pic rail? What kind of Sig doesn't have an accessory rail? And does Geissele make a trigger kit for it?
Kidding!
That P210 is a real beauty!

IIRC, Bruce Gray did some heavy customizing of a P210 belonging to a member here t hat uses it as a duty pistol. I believe they added a rail to his.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
4- What do you think about the German made P210 Legend compared to the Swiss made P210? I've read elsewhere another rather well known P210 expert trashing the German one. When asked for reasons why it is trash, all we heard was cricket.

I can't speak for bac1023 on this but I will say that my SIG Sauer Legend isn't made with the same kind of precision and tolerances that SIG made the original Swiss P210 guns with. Does it truly affect a shooter's abilities and results? Probably no more than a Wilson Combat 1911 is truly a better shooter than a Dan Wesson iteration of the same platform. But to me the newer P210 Legend just feels like a pale second to the original. Can't hardly wait (yes I can) to see how the American version will fare in this heady company. Not so great among the aficionados, I suspect.

A great quartet you've got, bac1023. A P210-6 heavy frame has been on my wantlist for a long time. A few years ago I came across one in luscious condition but I thought at the time its owner was asking a fair bit too much for it. In hindsight he wasn't given how the market has gone. Another one I let get away because I thought I knew better...(sigh)...

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
Beautiful P210. Congratulations!

Posts: 2807 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

Thanks, bac.

That would be Mr. Zelany
https://larvatus.livejournal.c...13.html#/283813.html

Posts: 239 | Registered: April 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
Purity.

I am in awe.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As good as you can do on a P210. Congrats!

Posts: 140 | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice collection. I hope to have one someday.

Posts: 1562 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
In hindsight he wasn't given how the market has gone.

I almost choked when I saw what this Dane surplus went for.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post