SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Springfield Armory Gunsite Service Pistol - GSP2000
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Springfield Armory Gunsite Service Pistol - GSP2000 Login/Join 
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted
A few pics of a not-too-often-seen member of the Gunsite Service Pistol 1911 series, a Springfield Armory GSP2000. From what I’ve been able to find out, these guns were assembled at Gunsite from kits supplied by Springfield Armory around the year 2000. My example, obtained earlier this year, appears to have logged a few miles (LOTS of rounds) on ye olde odometer since its inception. The gun had some significant strain on the internals (a separate story altogether) which have been addressed by a trusted gunsmith. I’m soon to take this one back out to the range for a workout after originally putting about 900 rounds through it prior to the gunsmith’s attention.

These don’t appear to have any significant collector value and (my assumption only) appear to not be held in as high regard as the Colt GSPs (much less the most-recent Baer edition); nonetheless, this one shoots quite well and is overall a most enjoyable 1911.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Maybe it was a Jeff Cooper pistol. Hey you never know. Still looks like a solid 1911. I am curious of the little knotch in the thumb pad on the slide release? I always wanted one of their leather logo holsters.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
Maybe it was a Jeff Cooper pistol. Hey you never know. Still looks like a solid 1911. I am curious of the little knotch in the thumb pad on the slide release? I always wanted one of their leather logo holsters.

Thank you, sir. I wish I knew more of the history of this particular gun. I sought-out potential warranty coverage with first SA then Gunsite when it became apparent that some internal work was needed. The SA rep had to dig a bit to find out anything on this one via the s/n; he’d not heard of these. Alas, neither SA nor Gunsite offered warranty coverage - perhaps as it should be with as much age and assumed usage has taken place with the pistol. I found another source for the work and am soon to put it to the test at the range.

Someone with more Gunsite history knowledge may come along to correct me - I think the 2000-era represented somewhat leaner times for the entity...I think this may have been a time of discord between Col. Cooper and the then-owners of the facility. This, all going by memory of what I’ve read, only.

I’ll have to grab a close-up pic of the slide stop for you; will post that a bit later.

All that said, indeed, the gun has been a really good performer at the range and I’m looking forward to more good sessions with it.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:

Finally back here with a close-up Springer first, different 1911 below that just for comparison.

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Thank you. They look pretty much the same. I like that Gunsite logo. I tried to buy one of their holsters from a Member here. It may have been for the P226 I cant recall.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That 1911 looks great! I love the honest wear it has.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
Very cool! Enjoy her.

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1677 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
That 1911 looks great! I love the honest wear it has.

Thank you!

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigFan:
Very cool! Enjoy her.

Thank you!

posted Hide Post
Very nice picture and thread. I attended Gunsite like many others. My 1911(Kings Gunworks) was handled and approved by Jeff Cooper so I didn’t see need to buy a Gunsite Pistol. Looking back wish I had picked one up. It’s a nice keepsake and it can’t hurt to have one more properly set up 1911.

Posts: 2047 | Location: East Central Toadsuck, Florida | Registered: September 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Walker:
Very nice picture and thread. I attended Gunsite like many others. My 1911(Kings Gunworks) was handled and approved by Jeff Cooper so I didn’t see need to buy a Gunsite Pistol. Looking back wish I had picked one of the GSP up. It’s a nice keepsake and it can’t hurt to have one more properly set up 1911.

Posts: 2047 | Location: East Central Toadsuck, Florida | Registered: September 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Walker:
Very nice picture and thread. I attended Gunsite like many others. My 1911(Kings Gunworks) was handled and approved by Jeff Cooper so I didn’t see need to buy a Gunsite Pistol. Looking back wish I had picked one up. It’s a nice keepsake and it can’t hurt to have one more properly set up 1911.

Thank you! Attending Gunsite is definitely something I’d like to do!

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
I fired a little over 200 rounds through the GSP this weekend - no issues, lots of grins!

There is something strangely addictive about shooting this gun. I stopped at 200+ only because I also needed to work with a couple of other 1911s in the same range session.