SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P238 Safety Detent Plunger
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P238 Safety Detent Plunger Login/Join 
posted
Hi all...need some advice/guidance.

Bought the wife a Sig P238 a few years ago. Took it to the range once and when I got home and cleaned it, I lost a "spring". Calling Sig, they informed me it was the safety detent plunger. Before I sent it in, they sent me another one and suggested I install myself. That didn't go so well, so I took it to my local gun shop. They wouldn't install/work on the gun stating they didn't want to be responsible for a safety issue. So...off to another shop who tried twice to fix/install the part...fail.

Anyway, I know I can send it in but wanted to see if the collective wisdom of the forum could help out...either with a link to a video showing the install, or to a reputable smith in South Florida who could assist.

Failing that, I am open to getting a new handgun for the wife...any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Posts: 4 | Registered: April 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JGeorge027:
Hi all...need some advice/guidance.

Bought the wife a Sig P238 a few years ago. Took it to the range once and when I got home and cleaned it, I lost a "spring". Calling Sig, they informed me it was the safety detent plunger. Before I sent it in, they sent me another one and suggested I install myself. That didn't go so well, so I took it to my local gun shop. They wouldn't install/work on the gun stating they didn't want to be responsible for a safety issue. So...off to another shop who tried twice to fix/install the part...fail.

Anyway, I know I can send it in but wanted to see if the collective wisdom of the forum could help out...either with a link to a video showing the install, or to a reputable smith in South Florida who could assist.

Failing that, I am open to getting a new handgun for the wife...any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

So it sounds like you flipped the safety lever up with the slide off. If I am not mistaken, that is how that typically happens..

I am pretty sure there are youtube videos on how to install that spring.. Give it a try..

If you are not comfortable doing it yourself.. Just send it in ..

USS Carl Vinson (CVN-70) Bremerton WA.
Sig P938/238 Equinox
Sig P320C RX
Colt Mustang XSP FE

Posts: 50 | Location: Southeast NH | Registered: March 02, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you!

It had been awhile since I searched the topic, but tried again earlier this morning and I found one that points me in the right direction.

I'm off to call Sig to get the parts re-sent!

I appreciate the quick and helpful response!

Picture of SteveR2012
posted Hide Post
Next time work inside a large zip lock bag. Then if the plunger goes AWOL it can't get far. Smile

Posts: 109 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Quick follow up...Success!

Great tip on the zip lock, too!

Thanks all! Have a great rest of the weekend...

Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JGeorge027:
Quick follow up...Success!

Great tip on the zip lock, too!

Thanks all! Have a great rest of the weekend...

Glad you finally got it fixed.

You are not the only person to have a apring go flying. Hunted my share of them around my work space.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post