SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Uberti 1847 Colt Walker
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Uberti 1847 Colt Walker Login/Join 
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Wow! That’s beautiful!

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
A Walker holds a 60 grain charge of black powder, and a Dragoon 50 grains.

Thank you.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12774 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
Also, is there a Cowboy Action discipline that uses black powder rather than modern cartridges, or are these simply "fun guns"? I have to admit, I'm really tempted.

ArtieS,
Yes, there are several Black Powder (BP) categories. These are called "Frontier Cartridge" where loads are Black Powder loaded in Cartridges (for pistol, rifle, and shotgun) and there is a category called "Frontiersman" that uses Black powder Cap and ball revolvers, BP loaded in Rifle and shotgun cases.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to grow up now
Picture of George85019
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
Also, is there a Cowboy Action discipline that uses black powder rather than modern cartridges, or are these simply "fun guns"? I have to admit, I'm really tempted.

ArtieS,
Yes, there are several Black Powder (BP) categories. These are called "Frontier Cartridge" where loads are Black Powder loaded in Cartridges (for pistol, rifle, and shotgun) and there is a category called "Frontiersman" that uses Black powder Cap and ball revolvers, BP loaded in Rifle and shotgun cases.

Thanks for answering. I’m just shooting mine for fun on the home range. I may take it to the public range sometime just to enjoy reaction from other shooters. LOL

NO SIGnature

Posts: 2050 | Location: London, OH | Registered: January 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I admit it... I “aged” mine up a bit with some judicious application of white vinegar and salt.

Just could not get myself used to a piece of equipment from that age looking so new...

Second (or third) all the positive comments on the Uberti Walker. Great revolver, no matter how you look at it!

Bill R

Posts: 1121 | Location: Wet side of WA | Registered: October 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
That is a sizeable pistol.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
I was just mentioning how much I wanted one of these in an earlier SA post....and then you do this...

I hate you

Lovely pistol, please post once you fire it.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to grow up now
Picture of George85019
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:
I was just mentioning how much I wanted one of these in an earlier SA post....and then you do this...

I hate you

Lovely pistol, please post once you fire it.

Funny! I will post those pictures after I fire it. We have some warmer days coming in a week if it doesn’t change by then.

NO SIGnature

Posts: 2050 | Location: London, OH | Registered: January 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to grow up now
Picture of George85019
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stylophiles:
I admit it... I “aged” mine up a bit with some judicious application of white vinegar and salt.

Just could not get myself used to a piece of equipment from that age looking so new...

Second (or third) all the positive comments on the Uberti Walker. Great revolver, no matter how you look at it!

Bill R

I like it. Mine had very nice bluing and CCH. if I built one from a kit, I might do something like yours. You know the originals had cylinders in the white.

NO SIGnature

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by George85019:

Bill R

I like it. Mine had very nice bluing and CCH. if I built one from a kit, I might do something like yours. You know the originals had cylinders in the white.[/QUOTE]

I went back and forth, and looked at a lot of photos of existing examples.... I admit I chicken’d out on the full blown “defarb” on this one... I just didn’t want it looking too. “new and shiny “

The cylinder was the big sticking point, because I liked the enrgaving, but all the originals I saw basically had almost nothing left. SonInwent “halfway” on mine.

Bill R

Posts: 1121 | Location: Wet side of WA | Registered: October 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to grow up now
Picture of George85019
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stylophiles:
quote:

Bill R

I like it. Mine had very nice bluing and CCH. if I built one from a kit, I might do something like yours. You know the originals had cylinders in the white.

I went back and forth, and looked at a lot of photos of existing examples.... I admit I chicken’d out on the full blown “defarb” on this one... I just didn’t want it looking too. “new and shiny “

The cylinder was the big sticking point, because I liked the enrgaving, but all the originals I saw basically had almost nothing left. SonInwent “halfway” on mine.

Bill R[/QUOTE]
It looks great. I don't blame you for not wanting to sand that cylinder down. Your right, the originals I've seen have the engraving mostly worn off. The kit versions are unblued, in the white cylinders IIRC. I think maybe the loading lever and hammer were CCH tough, but I could be wrong. It's been some time since I looked at Dixie Gun Works kit version.

NO SIGnature

posted Hide Post
About 25 years ago I got the chance to handle an original Walker. A great piece of history.

Posts: 705 | Location: S.W.Florida | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^
Along those lines, I had a brief talk with one of Captain Walker's descendants about ten years ago, and yes, he recognized his ancestor's place in history.

Capt Walker was as heavy as his namesake pistol in other ways as well, having fathered 15 children during his short life. Cool

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9156 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to grow up now
Picture of George85019
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
^^^^
Along those lines, I had a brief talk with one of Captain Walker's descendants about ten years ago, and yes, he recognized his ancestor's place in history.

Capt Walker was as heavy as his namesake pistol in other ways as well, having fathered 15 children during his short life. Cool

Wow, thanks for sharing. What a man huh? 15 kids in his short life, guess we know what he liked to do when not kicking As! Capt Walker really took Sam Colt’s anemic Patterson, and turned it into a viable combat arm. Perhaps Colt would have got there eventually, but Sam Walker needed that revolver yesterday! I believe the Colt family was always endeared to him. He brought them from the bring of bankruptcy, and failure, to the most successful firearm manufacturer in the world.
The man was valiant in battle. I don’t like to use fearless, you have to be nuts to not be afraid in combat. Hero’s are afraid too, they just get the job done despite their fears, and terrors.
I served in combat in Vietnam. I have 22 shipmates on the wall. 37 others severely injured, burned, maimed, blinded. I’m no hero, I did my job, but I served with some men who were. Very humbling.

NO SIGnature

Too old to grow up now
Picture of George85019
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
^^^^

Wow, thanks for sharing. What a man huh? 15 kids in his short life, guess we know what he liked to do when not kicking Ass! Capt Walker really took Sam Colt’s anemic Patterson, and turned it into a viable combat arm. Perhaps Colt would have got there eventually, but Sam Walker needed that revolver yesterday! I believe the Colt family was always endeared to him. He brought them from the bring of bankruptcy, and failure, to the most successful firearm manufacturer in the world.
The man was valiant in battle. I don’t like to use fearless, you have to be nuts to not be afraid in combat. Hero’s are afraid too, they just get the job done despite their fears, and terrors.
I served in combat in Vietnam. I have 22 shipmates on the wall. 37 others severely injured, burned, maimed, blinded. I’m no hero, I did my job, but I served with some men who were. Very humbling.

NO SIGnature