SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Ruger LCR 9mm
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger LCR 9mm Login/Join 
posted
I'm looking at buying a revolver for CCW and I am considering the Ruger LCR 9mm. Since I own mostly 9mm, the idea of a 9mm revolver sounds like a good idea.

What has been your experiences with the Ruger LCR 9mm?

Is there another evolver in the same price range that you would recommend over the Ruger LCR 9mm?

Thanks!

Posts: 1663 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have owned about 5 different LCR models and I really like the design. However, some of them are better than the others (in my opinion).

I traded off most of them and kept the 38+p hammerless snub nose (I feel thats the best of the lot).

Here are my opinions on the 9mm:

First off, the 9mm LCR is a reliable and very accurate gun, but the recoil makes you want to put it away after 25 rounds, it really shocks the hand and trigger finger. After shooting a box of 50 I can't hold any of my other guns steady due to twitching. Also it suffers form bullet pull (I think thats what they call it) after firing 4 rounds, you remove the moon clip and the last round is almost completely pulled out. I never had one pull completely out, but others have.

Oh, and the moon clips are a real pain, they are not faster to load than a speed loader like everyone thinks, the bullets wobble around and the flat nose hollow points don't find the chamber holes like like you see Jerry Michulek's 45 acp on tv. The moon clips do extract nicely though.

So, I recommend the 38+p model or 357 model (shooting 38+p). One last note, the hammerless snub nose models have the lightest tigger pull.

Posts: 48 | Registered: May 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I had a 9mm LCR. Every type of ammunition I tried, both handload and store-bought, the bullets migrated forward as the gun was fired.

Load five, shoot four, measure the remaining one, and I found that it had walked anywhere from .020" to .050"

One exception: I tried the Federal 115gr, 100-round value pack. Loaded five, shot four, and when I opened the cylinder, the bullet from the fifth round fell out. The case, with primer intact, was still in the cylinder. Powder spilled all over my hand, and there was a shiny copper clad bullet on the ground.

I replaced it with the .357 version. Only intend to shoot .38 from it, but the .357 is a bit heavier, having a steel frame (like the 9mm), as opposed to the lighter aluminum frame in the .38 version.

I did consider the .327 Federal version, advantage being a six round cylinder as opposed to five, but cost and reduced availability of ammunition discouraged me.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I have several LCR revolvers. Including one I bought from V-Tail. Wink

The biggest strike against them for concealed carry is the rubber grips. They are good at mitigating recoil but they're "tacky" and tend to grab on my clothes. Replacement grips that aren't rubber are pretty expensive (close to $100). And the LCR is marginally too big/bulky for pocket carry.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had LCRs in just about every caliber made,but the only one I sold almost immediately was the LCR 9mm.

Two things stood out against it: recoil and bullet jump. I actually brought calipers to the range and measured the 5th round in the cylinder after firing 4 rounds and each time they exhibited some bullet creep.. factory and reload. Recoil made the gun unpleasant to shoot.

On the positive side, the gun was reliable; shot every round even without the clips and was accurate.

Posts: 393 | Location: Florida Gulf Coast | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one, and I must be the exception. I don't find the recoil too bad, and I really like mine.

Vince

Posts: 307 | Registered: July 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd recommend that you look at the Smith 640 instead. IMHO, the LCR at around 17oz. is just too light to handle the 9mm for many rounds, plus rimless cartridges in revolver just don't seem right to me. I shoot a 642 at 16oz. in 38Sple and +P rounds are a handful. My 640 at around 25oz. are much more comfortable with .357Mag. and a joy to shoot 38Spl +P in.

Of course, if weight is your primary concern, then go for it, but I doubt you'll shoot it often.

Posts: 116 | Registered: March 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
I had a LCR 9mm and liked it, but didn't love it. It was a great carry gun. I didn't mind being limited to 115 grain ammo and I liked the trigger, but when I heard about the bullet pull issue and then saw it myself I traded it off on a M&P 45 Shield. I will own a 9mm revolver again but not an LCR. I still want a LCR .22 mag. Don't ask me why!

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you! Based upon your experiences, I think I will pass on the Ruger LCR 9mm.

I will check out the SW 640!

Any other recommendations on a good Revolver for CCW? I have always loved the SP101, but I am not sure if it would be too heavy to carry.

Posts: 1663 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of frogger
posted Hide Post
Personally, if I was going to carry a snub nosed revolver again, I'd go with the S&W 642 (No Lock version) in .38 Spl +P. I had one and carried it for years until the wave of slim 9mm's hit the market. Now, I carry a Glock 43, but I often think about picking up another 642 just because it was such a great gun.

••••••••••••••••••••
"We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 5409 | Location: NC, USA | Registered: November 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Never owned any version of the LCR, but the 22lr and 327 Federal Magnum interest me the most.

The ability to use many 32 caliber rounds, offsets the scarcity of the 327 Fed Magnum ammo in my opinion.
Good luck whatever your decision is.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I sometimes carry a S&W 638. Shrouded hammer that gives the option for thumb cocking but still slips easily out of a pocket.

S&W has a $50 rebate going on revolvers currently, too.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had a 649 for years. I do think it’s the best of both worlds. That being said, my 640 Pro is my go to snub.

Posts: 7346 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
I have owned two of the .38 models, and liked them a whole lot. +P is no joke in an LCR.
Currently, a S&W 351 is in my pocket, with 7 shots of .22 magnum, while I work up to another LCR.

The .327 Federal Magnum version now has my attention. After researching (and shooting a SP101)the caliber, I really really like it. 9mm model of LCR had my attention, but the 5 shots vs 6 in the .327 tipped the scales for me.

Midway USA has the hot 100 grain Federal ammo for .327 on clearance right now, so that will provide the beginning brass needed to eventually reload for it.

Just waiting on the .327 model of LCR to go on sale/discount here over the holidays. Maybe it will...maybe it won't.

Posts: 3804 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I were buying a new 38/357 snub, it would be the Kimber K6. They're expensive, but probably the best of the bunch out there right now. Great trigger, great sights, and 6 round capacity. Failing that, I'd grab a S&W 640 Pro.

Posts: 480 | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
Never owned any version of the LCR, but the 22lr and 327 Federal Magnum interest me the most.

The ability to use many 32 caliber rounds, offsets the scarcity of the 327 Fed Magnum ammo in my opinion.
Good luck whatever your decision is.

.327 Fed lcr for is my choice for pocket carry.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As much as I hate to say this after being a Ruger fan for many years. I would not buy a LCR on a bet or any new Ruger for that matter. Mine were the LCR 357 ones but I'd bet there's not much difference in them. A few years ago I bought the first LCR 357. A few days later it was on the way back to Ruger. It was determined defective and UN-Repairable. The cylinder and crane were so loose it was taking the black finish off the cylinders frame window every time I opened or close the cylinder. They replaced it which took approx 6 weeks. I get it and it didn't feel right but the dealer had nothing to do with it so I accepted it. Less than a week later it was back at Ruger the same thing plus the trigger wasn't resetting. I had a 38 LCR it worked good but I just didn't like it so I sold it to a friend.
Instead of possibly a 3rd defective LCR. I asked for a SP1O1 instead which they agreed to. I offered to pay the difference but they did it on a even exchange. I waited a few weeks if I remember right and it was finally shipped to my dealer. It was pretty rough but I cleaned it up and put new springs in it. It was glass bead blasted before I fired the first round. Very shoddy workmanship. In the last few years Ruger has replaced 4 brand new guns 2 LCR'S a Bearcat Shopkeeper and the latest was a P.O.S. LCPII. because they were all defective.
At this point and I never thought I'd say this even Taurus is starting to look better to me then the new Ruger's they are turning out today. Now Mike Fifer is gone and he was my go to man. Go to the Ruger forums and just read you might really be surprised.

*** A Proud NRA Benefactor Member***

Posts: 212 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 07, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post