SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Beretta 92 series trigger question?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Beretta 92 series trigger question? Login/Join 
Picture of mrtuna
posted
The one classic DA/SA pistol I haven't owned in the Beretta 92 series. I see that the trigger can be customized and I wanted to know what kind of trigger pull weight it can be safely gotten down to?

Thanks

Training as often as possible!
NSSF Media Member

Posts: 1577 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: May 31, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/...a-92-trigger-better/

There are some DIY options with a search. Here is one that mentions pull going from #10 down to #8 lbs with a spring change, D/A. It mentions the S/A pull is reduced some too.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In addition to the D spring modification, you can get a short reach trigger from Wilson that helps with the DA pull if you have smaller hands.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I installed the D spring several years ago on my 92FS and the DA pull dropped to an average measured pull of 8.25 lbs. and the SA pull dropped to 4.5 lbs. Made the pistol so much more enjoyable to shoot.

-------------------------------
Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
- David Horowitz

Posts: 5160 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
D spring is your first move. If a Beretta D spring cannot be found, a Wolff 16# spring will give the same benefit.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
There are a bunch of little things you can do with 1000gr sandpaper, an Arkansas stone, Flitz and a polishing wheel in addition to the D spring. Without even touching the sear, stone or polish every part in the chain of pull through hammer drop. In less than 30min time, you can remove all the grit and resistance due to friction or rotating parts.

There's a great overview of what Wilson Combat does in their 92 action tune from member Sterling Archer. What WC does is pretty mild actually...mostly polishing as mentioned above.

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
IMHO, the D spring is really all a 9x series pistol needs.

Like bigboreshooter said, a 16# 1911 mainspring is usually a more cost-effective substitute.

Also look at the Wolff TCU (captured trigger spring unit). It's a nice little upgrade.

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jcat:

Also look at the Wolff TCU (captured trigger spring unit). It's a nice little upgrade.

No, its not. Its a solution to a problem remedied a generation ago. It makes the trigger feel worse, not better. The TCU is all about reliability not an improvement in trigger pull.

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
You may have already seen my recent post about the D spring install in my 92 Brigadier but here it is just in case:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/5800099324

Considering Wilson Combat uses the D spring for their Brig Tac, I think that endorsement would also be all the reassurance most would need of a light, but not too light crisp breaking trigger pull. I see it as the personal reassurance of using a factory Beretta part that gives you a great trigger AND confidence in the long term reliability in not potentially having issues like light primer strikes. Never read or heard of anyone having light primer strikes with a D spring but I have read and heard of that happening with other replacements. I consider the exactly 8 lbs. DA and the 3.8 to 3.9 lbs. SA my Brig ended up with perfect.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
I don't know the weights, but I have a Wilson Brigadier with their action tune, and it feels substantially lighter than my P226 Legion. So light, in fact, that I am somewhat concerned about reliable ignition. I have been told that the geometry of the Beretta trigger is just different; it is a longer DA pull, and feels lighter. The reset is not quite as short as the Legion, and I have a slight take up after reset, but then the SA break is extremely clean. The Legion has a very short reset, virtually no takeup, but there is some travel through the break- it is not as clean as the Brigadier.

I'm no expert, but just giving my impressions. Bottom line is that if you've ever been okay with a Sig DA, you can be happy with the Beretta.

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Do the D spring. Cheap and easy and makes a huge difference.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3210 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1KPerDay:
Do the D spring. Cheap and easy and makes a huge difference.

+1

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1935 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I have two Berettas with the WC action tune, they are both super smooth triggers

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post