SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Walther Q5 Steel frame?!
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Walther Q5 Steel frame?! Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
I held off on the original Q5 because of the amount of muzzle flip it still had when I compared it side-to-side to my PPQ M1.

Agree.

I rented and shot a plastic Q5 about a month ago. I came away liking it just ok. Ergos and trigger were good but just thought that it would really benefit with more heft and bit more grip texture.

I have started shooting in a real fun pistol league that guys run the gambit with. Anything from stock Glock 19s to full on race guns. I will be running my CZ Shadow when it starts up again but also might be looking at something that would allow a red dot since my eyes are not getting any younger.

Just wondering how much of a redesign it is internally to the previous Q5 ?

Posts: 779 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
I must admit that is a pretty cool looking pistol that will likely sell well if it performs as radically as it looks. That fact it sounds like you can just add base pads to existing PPQ magazines and use them (because of the extended magwell) was a good move by them too.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pretty excited about this. Surprised it has taken so long for a striker fired all steel competition gun.

Posts: 178 | Registered: May 16, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Several Q5 Match SF on gunbroker now. A Pro model at $1,549 and a standard model at $1,399.

Posts: 83 | Location: Montgomery county, PA | Registered: May 01, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Handsome pistol, except it needs another 50 cuts in the slide. Roll Eyes I swear, manufacturers are going to get so mill-happy that pistol slides are going to start coming apart during shooting.

And if you don't think that's possible, guess again.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Perpetual Student
Picture of Dan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Draggun:
Pretty excited about this. Surprised it has taken so long for a striker fired all steel competition gun.

Me too.

Posts: 2459 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: May 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Handsome pistol, except it needs another 50 cuts in the slide. Roll Eyes I swear, manufacturers are going to get so mill-happy that pistol slides are going to start coming apart during shooting.

And if you don't think that's possible, guess again.

Salient/Zevitis

Posts: 841 | Registered: January 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Sounds like this is close to the CZ Shadow 2 price point. I just don't see that kind of value in the Walther.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
I don't know about everyone else, but I picked up my Shadow 2 for $980. Then again as the novelty wears off, the retail price on the Walther may come down from the MSRP a ways.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Very nice, but 5.6-lb trigger pull for a competition/match gun? What's up with that?

Suposedly Walther is going to offer a "spring pack" - light, medium, heavy and light will be around 3.5 LBs. Smile

From the article Beanhead posted.

"Alongside the new gun, Walther will release corresponding performance accessories that includes kits to modify magazines and triggers for all Q5 Match pistols — polymer or steel construction."

For a competition gun, how about starting out with "light" in the first place? I don't shoot competition, but my guess is, most competition folks wouldn't want their match pistol with the trigger weight that of a stock Glock.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Very nice, but 5.6-lb trigger pull for a competition/match gun? What's up with that?

Suposedly Walther is going to offer a "spring pack" - light, medium, heavy and light will be around 3.5 LBs. Smile

From the article Beanhead posted.

"Alongside the new gun, Walther will release corresponding performance accessories that includes kits to modify magazines and triggers for all Q5 Match pistols — polymer or steel construction."

For a competition gun, how about starting out with "light" in the first place? I don't shoot competition, but my guess is, most competition folks wouldn't want their match pistol with the trigger weight that of a stock Glock.

AREX does this with their Alpha. The medium spring is pre-installed because the light will not reliably ignite all primers. I'm sure there heavy is intended for very hard military primers. The difference between springs in end trigger weight is said to only me a half pound each. Mine has run supremely reliably from factory so I haven't messed with it.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Who knows why Walther did it that way - could be their lawyers advice especially considering a whole lot of people will be buying it that don't shoot in competition and use it as a fun gun and for self defense. The good news is changing the necessary spring is just slightly more difficult than changing the recoil spring.

Hopefully I will get to try one out in March at the annual factory shoot at my LGS.

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Too bad they didn't engineer a way to change the trigger pull weight w/o swapping parts, like on some of their higher-end target pistols.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fusternc
posted Hide Post
I really love Walther handguns, but given the amazing values out there of the current line PPS, PPQ, P99 (which I own), I cant see spending $1300 on this. Thats Grail gun territory for me. US P210, CZ Shadow 2

Posts: 1373 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I'm a Walther fan, tried and true, from way back. When was the last time we've seen a steel frame Walther pistol in regular production, other than the PP and PPk? The PP Super comes to mind, although most of those were chambered in 9x18mm Police and were issued to German police agencies. Walther did produce about a thousand in .380 ACP and Interarms imported some of these. You can probaby get a steel frame P38 from Earl's but those are of course not regular production.
But- a service-sized pistol when is the last time?

I just love the idea. I really like the PPQ. I think it has the best triger pull of any striker fired pistol. I think the PPQ 4" is a handsome pistol, as polymer pistols go, and I'd love to see that steel frame mated to a 4" slide.
However, a straight swap is not possible, it seems, if for no other reason than that they've changed the disassembly latch.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Walther has already said more steel frame models in the PPQ series will be coming including 4 inch frames for duty and competition.

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dtech:
quote:
Walther has already said more steel frame models in the PPQ series will be coming including 4 inch frames.

That is a smart move too. Now if only some of the steel frame guns will come with paddle releases that would really be interesting!

Going back to the Q5 Match SF, I'm not usually a big fan of having tons of cuts in a slide, but I like how they oriented them where the typical front slide grooves are and get progressively smaller. I think the "cut" look is exaggerated by the rail cuts in some of the photos. I think a gun of this design without the cuts would be very appealing too.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Walther has already said more steel frame models in the PPQ series will be coming including 4 inch frames.

That is a smart move too. Now if only some of the steel frame guns will come with paddle releases that would really be interesting!

Going back to the Q5 Match SF, I'm not usually a big fan of having tons of cuts in a slide, but I like how they oriented where the typical front slide grooves are and get progressively smaller. I think the "cut" look is exaggerated by the rail cuts in some of the photos. I think a gun of this design without the cuts would be very appealing too.

It ia a bold move for Walther and I hope it works out for them. I am guessing 90% plus of today's pistol buyers are looking for new pistols in the under $600 range. This is going to be their premium line and they can make a hell of a fine German made pistol using modern manufacturing equipment for their price point with probably a healthy profit margin. I bet we see steel frame PPQs for under $1000 street price point when it comes to non match models. The awesome PPQ trigger in a steel frame is going to be a dream shooting machine for some of us Walther enthusiasts with special pride of ownership. IMO this is going to be akin to SIGs Legion series of pistols for the Walther brand.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now if only some of the steel frame guns will come with paddle releases that would really be interesting!
I doubt that they'll go that far, but that's precisely what I'd love to see- a 4" M1 steel frame PPQ with a beavertail.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Now if only some of the steel frame guns will come with paddle releases that would really be interesting!
I doubt that they'll go that far, but that's precisely what I'd love to see- a 4" M1 steel frame PPQ with a beavertail.

Quote from the American Rifleman article...

“The Walther Q5 Match SF is but the first of a line of steel-frame pistols from the German manufacturer. Models for duty and self-defense are in the works, too.”

Posts: 1343 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post