SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig 239 Popularity
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig 239 Popularity Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
My 239 was my back up until I retired in 2003. Since then it has become my EDC. I will sometimes carry a CZ P-07 but rely more on my 9 239.

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
I sold a 9mm a while back. On paper it doesn't stack up real well against the modern competition, but it shoots so good it makes up for a lot of its shortcomings. If I get another it would be a .357 SIG. that with a +1 baseplate would make a good carry.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Very accurate, very reliable. Tried to like it but couldn't, had several and sold or traded them all. The ergos were just off a little, I liked the Hogue rubber grips but don't really like rubber. If they made those same grips in G10 I would have loved the pistol

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Top Gun Supply was selling 8 round .357 mags every holiday sale for a very low price. I think it was $15/mag.

I have the 9mm version, but I plan to buy a SAS .357. For some reason the gun is super easy to shoot accurately. Weak hand, strong hand, two handed. The flat sided grips might be part of the reason why. I tried the Hogue rubber grips but the grip was then too wide. Recently I put on G10 grips, these feel good but I have not retested the pistol since.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sunkist
posted Hide Post
I have the .40 along with a .357 bbl (which I rarely ever use) It is simply a great pistol. It feels heavy in the hand which makes it a great platform for the .40. The weird thing is how sweet it is to carry in spite of the weight. Mine is a late 90's/2015 CPO that looks brand new and it shoots dead on.

"In The Land of the Blind, the One-Eyed Man is King."

Posts: 161 | Location: North Central Minnesota | Registered: January 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RoverSig
posted Hide Post
I've got a 9mm with G-10 grips. It is the most accurate pistol that I have. It is 100% reliable -- never a hiccup -- with a variety of ammo, including handloads. I don't know how to explain how good it is. It would be a shame for Sig-Sauer to stop making it. I wish it held one or two more rounds.

Posts: 1597 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: June 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RoverSig:
I've got a 9mm with G-10 grips. It is the most accurate pistol that I have. It is 100% reliable -- never a hiccup -- with a variety of ammo, including handloads. I don't know how to explain how good it is. It would be a shame for Sig-Sauer to stop making it. I wish it held one or two more rounds.

And that's it. If they could design it to be some kind of staggered magazine to hold the magic 10 rounds, it would be more popular. I think it's a mental thing to have double digit rounds in a defensive pistol.

The 224 was a bust because it was just too fat. If they had used the 239 top end and made it handle a stagger stack 10+ rounds, it would still be here. I knew the 224 would t last long the minute I held one. I'll conceived idea.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m a fan. Definitely one of those rare instances of industrial design that ends up being greater than the sum of its parts. All of the “flaws” people comment on seem to disappear when it comes time to pull the trigger. Conceals and carries very well. Accurate and reliable with all three calibers, it’s probably the last pistol I’d get rid of. Maybe the perfect SHTF, last ditch, bottom of the bag, backup to the backup pistol.

With the larger slide of the .40/.357 a 1.25” diameter suppressor allows the use of the standard factory sights.

Posts: 60 | Registered: November 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I talked to some Sig reps at the NRA show and they said the 239 is on it's way out. It was supposed to be discontinued last year they said.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My P239 DA/SA 9mm has never malfunctioned through many thousands of rounds. It was purchased in the late 1990s. It is accurate and a fine all purpose pistol for me: It feels like a full sized gun but rides easily in a belt slide under a coat or jacket, and it makes a fine night table comforter as well. Hogue rubber grips, a replacement of main springs, and installation of night sights are its only upgrades over the years.
Last year I bought another P239, this one with DAK trigger. As one who grew up shooting Smith revolvers double action, I like it equally well. --c

Posts: 63 | Registered: December 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought one soon after they came out (in '96 or '97.) Never has malfunctioned in thousands of rounds, and seems like the perfect carry gun that is still big enough to shoot well. I love mine.

Posts: 1751 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Never could warm up to it, even though I did shoot it fairly well. The squared front strap still bothers me although less these days than a decade ago when I was first considering one as my second SIG to augment my P229R, which I was experimenting as my carry weapon at the time. I dunno; for its footprint and weight I suppose that I never quite understood its role. Physically too alike my P229R yet so down on firepower.

In the end I went back to my comfort zone and got another G19 to replace the Gen2 I foolishly sold to make space for the P229R. The P239 never became more than the proverbial footnote for me, one of those I tried but took a pass on and have not looked back on with regrets.

As for popularity; I can tell you that for our shop it hasn't done very well. Without discounting they don't move.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
My 239 9mm is a great ccw, that being said, my G23 carry's just as easy, even if it's grip is just a tad wider.

The 239 just makes me smile more, it has a soul that the dark side lacks.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got me a P239 SAS Gen1......pretty rare.

Put about 200 rounds through her when I first got her. After that, she has been serving duty as a safe queen Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lcubanito,

Posts: 63 | Registered: October 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
As Chongo says, the only drawback is 8 rounds, with one in the chamber. I have a DAO, and Bruce gave it a very smooth trigger pull. It is my summertime carry if I am using a holster. I have started using a "man bag" holster for summer and I really like it. I can wear a very light tee shirt with no printing worries. It draws no attention, partly because I attach my car keys to the carabiner. Slung across my chest it is very secure, and not as fast as a belt holster, but pretty close. But I digress. The 239 is second only to my 226 Legion-- which is in a class of its own.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11107 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoeSig
posted Hide Post
When I bought my 239 40 back in 2001 - everyone around me at the LGS looked at me like I had 5 heads....

LGS sold a ton of the traditional 226's, 229's, etc.

I find it incredibly easy to shoot, very accurate and not too burdensome to carry with the right rig.

Have acquired another in DAK 9MM - saaweet shooter.

I had a 226 in 357 Sig, great gun, just did not shoot it much [really maybe 35 rounds through it]. Sold it to a friend.

For years, the common complaint was the feel of the single-stack grip of the 239 - so if it does not work for one person, then best to move on - I wanted the narrow grip for concealability and it works.

The 229's I've held feel incredible in the hand, I'm just not going to use for carry purposes.

I'm not letting go of any of our 239's.

JoeSig

Sola Gratia, Sola Fide, Solus Christus, Soli Deo Gloria, Sola Scriptura

Posts: 352 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: October 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Son of a son
of a Sailor
Picture of wxdave
posted Hide Post
I don't carry mine often, but I will not part with it. I paid $549 new in 2003 or so. It's a great little gun.

--------------------------------------------
Floridian by birth, Seminole by the grace of God

Posts: 986 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
I talked to some Sig reps at the NRA show and they said the 239 is on it's way out. It was supposed to be discontinued last year they said.

I would believe that, the P225A1 abomination (IMO; vs the P6/P225) seemed like it was intended as an improvement to the P239.

I wonder where that leaves the CA market for SIG. They already dropped the P250 from the roster last year as part of their P250 winddown. The SP2022 is abhorrently massive for a "compact" pistol and the newer pistols are unobtanium. Even HK, hating us and all, lowered the markup on the P2000.

I supplanted my P229 with a P239, and after a year, the P2000 has replaced the P239 in my use. The P239 was simply too heavy and the single stack magazine has already failed to feed Micro HSTs properly at least twice, shaking my faith in the pistol (after completely ditching Kahr for the same issue with hollow point 9mm). I am now looking at an USP Compact to more closely replace the P239 (P2000 is still a smidge wider than the USP Compact in practice, LEM to LEM).

Posts: 122 | Location: California | Registered: July 09, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
My dad has had a .40 P239 since around 1996, always been a fan of it.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15307 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
P239?: Too heavy for summer concealed carry. Better options (M11-A1, for me) exist for colder weather. Accurate/reliable pistol but weight and limited capacity cannot be denied. Sold mine a long time ago.

Posts: 270 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post