SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Kimber Micro 9 vs Sig 938: in depth review and range session
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kimber Micro 9 vs Sig 938: in depth review and range session Login/Join 
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted
So there was a thread a couple of weeks back about the Sig 938 vs the recently released Kimber Micro 9 and it got me thinking. I love compact guns and I wanted to see which one was better so I went out and got one of each. I have owned 938's in the past so I knew what I was getting into there.

The Cost

The 938 was $669 out the door locally and came with a Viridian laser, 3 mags (one flush, two extended), and a Reactor Holster. The Kimber was $540 + $15 shipping and $25 transfer (Gunbroker) and came with only one flush fit 6 round mag. Although the 938 was more expensive when you factor in what you get plus the added costs of buying online the Sig is the better deal.

The Similarities

They are almost identical in size with the Kimber being slightly longer and taller. The Sig has a fatter slide and feels a tad bit heavier. The mags are obviously made by the same company. They are identical. Kimber doesn't sell any extended mags yet and the Sig ones almost fit. If you sand some plastic off of the mag base pad it will fit. They both came in carboard boxes. The barrel design and lockup are very close. The safeties, mag releases, and slide stops look like they could interchange. The Sig is easier to take down because the slide stop/takedown on the Kimber is recessed and nubbed. I wasn't able to simply push it with my finger...I had to use something to push it through. Conversely the Kimber has a weaker recoil spring so put it back together is easier. They both use a flat wire spring.

With the Sig extended mag

The Sig Sauer 938

The 938 has been around for a bit and has been a great seller for Sig. This particular gun has some upgrades. It originally came with contrast sights and a rubber Hogue grip. I installed the Sig night sights and checkered/stippled wood grips. It features a bead blasted stainless slide and anodized frame. The frame has a checkered front strap which is a big plus. I'm not a huge fan of the blocky slide profile but that's just personal preference. The Sig has much more aftermarket and factory support. The Kimber will get there eventually. The Sig has less felt recoil in my opinion. Which has a lot to do with the checkered front strap and more aggressive grips.

The Kimber Micro

The Micro is brand new. Very few reviews out there. I'm guessing Kimber is betting it will make people forget about the Solo. It has a more traditional profile; it looks like a mini 1911. The slide has a rounded top like a traditional 1911. The beavertail is up swept which is better in my opinion as the 938 has a downward slope that digs into my hand a bit. The trigger is noticeably heavier but crisp. It's made of alluminum and matches the frame unlike Sigs polymer trigger. They are both serrated. The Micro has a single sided safety which is fine by me. The finish is probably my biggest complaint. Kimber uses some self lubricating baked on finish that is both weak and way to slick. The 938 has a much lighter mainspring and is a ton easier to rack. The Kimber is a bear to rack. I wouldn't recommend it for shooters with weaker hands. The slick finish and lack of front strap checkering make it a little more difficult to keep the gun in the sweet spot of your hand during shooting sessions. The grips are half checkered and are very attractive. Unfortunately they are not very aggressive which doesn't help. The sights on the Kimber are plain black serrated. I understand that the night sights for the Micro 380 fit but they are $130. I got the 938 nigh sights from EBay for $68 which is a big difference. Both are made by Meprolight.

Finish wear on the Kimber before I even fired it

The much appreciated front strap checkering

Along with my other alloy framed SAO carry guns

Micro with older brother

At The Range

Accuracy was pretty comparable. I shot 50 rounds of 115gr Blazer Brass through each at 10 yards unsupported. Both shot a little left for me. The Sig also shot a little high. They both ran flawlessly with out any type of failures. I shot them interchanging the Kimber and Sig mags and function did not suffer.

Sig 50 rounds at 10 yards unsupported

Kimber 50 rounds at 10 yards unsupported

Conclusion

I like the looks of the Kimber more. It's a sexy little gun and it's the RIGHT kind of two tone. The finish slickness is an issue. The sights could be better. The trigger could be better. The Sig on the other hand is not as pretty but much more functional (as it sits.) If I had to carry one tomorrow it would be the Sig. I don't think you could go wrong with either (unless you have weak hands.)

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Nice comparison review. Frankly I didn't think that I would be impressed by the Micro Kimbers but they really seem nicely made.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the great write up. I'm no Kimber fan, but I really like the looks of that Micro. Wish it had better sights and at least a 2nd magazine from the factory.

As far as the 938 goes I've never owned one but I've shot three and all of them had function issues. Failures to feed, failures to eject, etc.... Because of this (and the fact that I had a 238 that I couldn't ever get to run 100%), I've avoided the 938.

For now I'll stick with my baby Kahr 9mm's and I"ll keep my eye on that Kimber Micro.....

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tundrav84wd
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the review. That slide on the Kimber looks way thinner, which I like.

Old School German Sigs,....Quality and Reliability you can consistently depend on, right out of the box.

**Remembering 9/11/2001 Celebrating 5/1/2011**

OPUS DEI CUM PECUNIA ALIENUM EFFICEMUS

Posts: 6417 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Great write up and pic's thanks.
I have a couple of kimbers and both run flawless.
I moved away from small guns years back,I always carried one but now days I carry openly and it is a bigger more easily pulled if need be
Several small ones get any use these days

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
Good review. I too prefer the Sig over the Kimber except for the better look of the Limber.

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
^^^ I've already put the Kimber up for sale lol.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dusty78,

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the good head to head comparison. I saw an advertisement for the Limber and it made me wonder how it would compare.

Posts: 2032 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gaspipes
posted Hide Post
I bought a P938 Extreme today. I have shot 3 different 938's because I have friends that have them, all function fine and they are great shooting guns. I finally cracked and bought one. I was holding out for the 938HD but I doubt we'll ever see one.

IMO, the Sig is a better gun for the money. We sell both and I've handled a ton of both. Every Sig has night sights and I think most if not all have front strap checkering. The Micros are nice looking guns, but the sights leave much to be desired and the lack of any treatment on the front strap leaves one wanting more. Big Grin

Once I put this 938 through the ringer at the range, I'm going to sell my MK9 and maybe my Shield. I'll never buy another Kahr, just can't get used to the trigger, don't shoot it worth a damn. Hopefully Sig makes a 938HD as I really would like an all steel version of this thing.

Μολὼν λαβέ

Posts: 1345 | Registered: October 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bumper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gaspipes:
Hopefully Sig makes a 938HD as I really would like an all steel version of this thing.

I'd be all over that too, even though I already have three P938's (counting wife's).

Love the gun, though not a fan of the plastic trigger, relatively easy to replace with aftermarket (apparently a popular option as there are many on ebay to choose from). The relatively heavy trigger pull is sub optimal IMO, much of the excess pull weight comes from the oversprung sear/ejector spring and some from a very positive sear/hammer engagement (to check this, dry fire while taking some of the weight off the hammer by pulling back on hammer, but not enough to move it back further than full cock. Watch hammer closely and it will most likely noticeably move aft just before sear breaks.

Posts: 1299 | Location: Nevada, United States | Registered: April 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have wondered why the 938s grips were so wide, doesn't look that good kinda stubby. The rounded slide on that limber looks great, if we could combine them we would have a sexy functional pistol.

I do love my 938

Posts: 661 | Location: The realm of Texas | Registered: February 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mhughes:
I have wondered why the 938s grips were so wide, doesn't look that good kinda stubby. The rounded slide on that limber looks great, if we could combine them we would have a sexy functional pistol.

I do love my 938

The grip being wide is an optical illusion. They are the same size but the Sig uses wider grips which makes it look wider.

Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
So I attached the Reactor laser and ordered one of these Alien Gear Reactor holsters. I'm impressed by the holster for the money.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gaspipes:
I'll never buy another Kahr, just can't get used to the trigger, don't shoot it worth a damn.

I have a P938SAS and added the Hogue recoil absorbing rubberized grip. It's a darn nice firearm for everyday year round conceal carry. However, I have a Kahr MK40 and to be honest, I am more accurate with that than the P938. Recently acquired the Kimber Micro 9 CSE (Cabela's edition) and it is more than I expected it to be. It ranks up there for me at least as one of the most accurate shooting subcompact pistols I've owned. It has G10 grips and large white 3 dot sights standard. They in my opinion are better than the night sights on the P938 at an indoor range. I didn't expect the Micro 9 to be so accurate, especially with no extended mag like I have on the P938; only two fingers on the grip. The P938 is still a worthy addition for anyone looking for a subcompact 9, however the Micro 9 at least the CSE version is formidable foe. The Kimber is pricier when you figure in the cost for adding night sights if wanted $123 (list) and two extended mags $28 ea (if and when they become available). I was lucky to find one at a local Kimber Dealer just the other day; one is all they had. I'll be going out for comparison #2 now that I have an extended mag for both of them. As for the Kahrs, I still like the MK40 and would probably like the MK9, but it is a bit blockier and heavier. I'll never get rid of mine; least not until the body can no longer handle the 40 recoil in that tiny little package.

Posts: 1 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: December 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Great review. I too am thinking about a small 9. Thanks.

Posts: 9104 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dusty78, does the Kimber have the silly plastic parts like the Sig?

I am also waiting for an HD all stainless 938, less the the plastic parts.

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: December 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I picked up a Kimber Micro9a couple of weeks ago.I saw it in Kimber's booth at Shot Show and got a bad case of the wants. I ordered it that night. The Micro9 that I'm talking about is or was there Shot Show special. Micro9 id desert Tan with Crimson Trace laser grips, and it came with both standard and extended Mags.
I also have a Sig Equinox 938. I've owned it about two yearend love both guns.
I have put a little of everything through both guns and no problems with either. My sig lost the retaining rod after the first time shooting it, might have been my fault as I did not know it was a two piece rod and didn't check it on my first cleaning.
I have put 300+ plus rounds through the Micro9 and because it's new I find that it's become my EDC. I think it's a little more comfortable fitting in my hand.

Posts: 24 | Registered: April 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also might ad that both guns fit the holsters I have purchased like gloves.
Next range trip I will try to interchange mags. I read in other posts that this will work for the standard.

Posts: 24 | Registered: April 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Great summary, review & photos. My only issue with micro single action pistols to date is the ability to flick the safety off under speed which could replicate when under threat conditions.. Thanks for taking the time to provide this to the forum. Nice work!

Posts: 13789 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
Great summary, review & photos. My only issue with micro single action pistols to date is the ability to flick the safety off under speed which could replicate when under threat conditions.. Thanks for taking the time to provide this to the forum. Nice work!

I agree. Nice comparison. Glad to see Kimber rising from the ashes of their Solo debacle.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post