SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    NiB ?s
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NiB ?s Login/Join 
posted
Been looking for a cheap backup glock 19 and stumbled on a gen 4 Nickle Boron model for about $450 OTD. Cheap enough for a truck gun. Aside from the fact it looks like a Saturday night special, is there any reason not to pick it up. No experience with coated metal aside from an NP3 Beretta.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfe 21:
Been looking for a cheap backup glock 19 and stumbled on a gen 4 Nickle Boron model for about $450 OTD. Cheap enough for a truck gun. Aside from the fact it looks like a Saturday night special, is there any reason not to pick it up. No experience with coated metal aside from an NP3 Beretta.

Why would a NiB G19 look like a SNS? One cannot be mistaken for the other.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
If you decide you don’t want it, I’d like to know where it’s availabe.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
No. It’s a very good find & price. That finish is quite durable..

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:

Well I meant it as a nice way to say looks like a pimp's gun. A little too shiny for my tastes, but the $ is right. I was relating it to something that was more flash than substance...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Well I meant it as a nice way to say looks like a pimp's gun. A little too shiny for my tastes, but the $ is right. I was relating it to something that was more flash than substance...

Not pimp looking at all. It's just like any 2-tone pistol.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yeah. You don't want that. All flash, no substance.

Where's it for sale again?

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Take the risk or
lose the chance
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of NiB guns and can relate that..
1. they are much easier to clean after use than normal factory finishes and
2.the coating is still basically flawless after many range trips and several thousand rounds as well as part time carry in a kydex holster

(Mine were refinished by CCR.)

----------------------------------------
“The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

Posts: 1475 | Location: RR12 | Registered: February 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Assuming it was done by a reputable place, and you're sure that's all the guy did to the pistol, it should be fine.

Glocks don't work well for me, but I'd definitely be leery about buying any used Glock, the way people mod them so much.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1859 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
I've seen some Glocks with that finish. Never occurred to me that they were a SNS or pimp gun. To some, anything other than flat black or FDE is a pimp gun. One of my fellow officers referred to my stainless Colt Government, carried as a primary weapon for years, as a pimp gun. OK, I admit I was never as tacticool as so many now days. I carried a stainless S&W Model 66, then later a stainless S&W Model 686, for years prior to the ColtWink

NRA Life

Posts: 1561 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Chromed slides, gold controls = pimp, at least to me.

NiB is good stuff. I have several BCGs that are coated with nickel boron; a LOT easier to clean than nitride bolt carriers. Usually has a slight gold hue to it, not particularly extravagant looking to me. And considering how standard finish Gen4 slides RUST these days, certainly it's a viable upgrade to keep the underlying steel from rotting into piles of red-brown dust.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have no problem with stainless. Own several in both auto and revolver, some much closer to pimp than this Glock. I honestly think that term makes more sense on my ivory gripped Vaqueros, but was the easiest descriptor I could think of. I'll work harder next time. I will say almost all of my existing SS guns are bead blast finish over high polish.
Gun is factory new USA production block with NiB coating. No other "bubba" mods.

posted Hide Post
quote:
I have no problem with stainless. Own several in both auto and revolver, some much closer to pimp than this Glock. I honestly think that term makes more sense on my ivory gripped Vaqueros , but was the easiest descriptor I could think of. I'll work harder next time. I will say almost all of my existing SS guns are bead blast finish over high polish.
Gun is factory new USA production block with NiB coating. No other "bubba" mods.

Now those are beautiful guns!! Think of another example....lol

Posts: 465 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pittwm
posted Hide Post
If it's original NIBx G19, it's worth it.

Posts: 5445 | Location: Paducah KY | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I don't know anything about GLOCK but for a "truck gun" the price sounds reasonable. If you like it, go for it. The finish will probably last a life time of truck use.

You have to chose your descriptive words carefully...political correctness and all these days. Razz

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Smudge, looked for an email in your profile but couldn't find one. Gun is from Combat armory, A MI based internet retailer I have used for small items on several occasions. This is the first firearm I have purchased from them, so we will see.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Cheers, I’ll wait and see what you decide. I’m not trying to snag it from under you, but if you decide don’t want it, I will give them a call. Smile

posted Hide Post
Mine is on way to my dealer right now. Still showed as in stock after my order, so I'm assuming they have multiples. Anyway, fyi.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
And considering how standard finish Gen4 slides RUST these days....
Hmm...something must be wrong with my Gen4's

Posts: 1871 | Registered: June 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
No, you just don't have toxic sweat. Wink

Three of my Gen4s that I've carried (two G23s, one G26) have pitting due to corrosion that I didn't catch in time. All due to the evil nature of my perspiration, and how poorly the sweat shield was cut on the Blade-Tech holster that I was using at the time. Since finding this hybrid Stealthgear holster that I use these days the problem has subsided, but I still have to be diligent and wipe down the gun for possible contamination from body contact.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post