SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig Arms Trailside 22 pistol opinions
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig Arms Trailside 22 pistol opinions Login/Join 
Picture of SIGSCOUSER
posted
I am picking up a Sigarms trailside 22 pistol later this week, was just looking for some feedback from anybody who has or had one.

JUST PICKED IT UP.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SIGSCOUSER,

sig certified classic Pseries Armorer
226 L1 S X6
228 WG
226WG

Posts: 579 | Location: Sterling heights MI | Registered: September 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I suggest you pick up a barrel weight from Larry's and some extra mags. Then enjoy a super accurate and awesome gun.

http://www.larrysguns.com/sear...px?keyword=trailside

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recommend the 90 gram weight. Do you have the 4 or 6 inch model? Fixed or adjustable sights.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGSCOUSER
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
I suggest you pick up a barrel weight from Larry's and some extra mags. Then enjoy a super accurate and awesome gun.

http://www.larrysguns.com/sear...px?keyword=trailside

Thanks for the advise, it has 3 mags with it, so maybe a couple more after I use it a couple times.

226 L1 S X6
228 WG
226WG

Posts: 579 | Location: Sterling heights MI | Registered: September 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGSCOUSER
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
I recommend the 90 gram weight. Do you have the 4 or 6 inch model? Fixed or adjustable sights.

I think it,s the 4", has adjustable sight, haven't had my hands on it yet, but for sure a 4".

226 L1 S X6
228 WG
226WG

posted Hide Post
I love mine, but what do you want to use it for is really the question. I didn't find the barrel weights to be meaningful. I have two one with and one without and really never noticed any difference. Of course extra mags always are good and but expect a dud every so often. Larry is good about that. I run the one I shoot with an optic and am very happy.
FWIW>

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGSCOUSER
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
I love mine, but what do you want to use it for is really the question. I didn't find the barrel weights to be meaningful. I have two one with and one without and really never noticed any difference. Of course extra mags always are good and but expect a dud every so often. Larry is good about that. I run the one I shoot with an optic and am very happy.
FWIW>

I am just going to use it as a plinker, and maybe teach my 12 yr old son to shoot a pistol, will have to see if it is a suitable size for him.

226 L1 S X6
228 WG
226WG

posted Hide Post
I have mine a long time bought new from a dealer in upstate N.Y.added the barrel weight and scope.A very accurate 22.

Posts: 361 | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have two, 6" Standard and 6" target.

These are incredibly accurate for the price, with great triggers, but be advised they really should be fed standard velocity target ammo. I use CCI Standard

High velocity ammo can batter the trigger guard leg that retains the slide. I had a slide stop break off while shooting, but Sig repaired it under warranty before the stopped servicing them.

Larry's Guns in Maine is the place to go for parts and service now.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IIRC they were made by Hammerli for SIG. I mistakenly passed on one years ago.

Posts: 4546 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I messed up and let mine go many years ago. I had the adjustable grips too. Hammerli is one of the top pistol manufacturers for Olympic competition pistols (and other competitions of course.) It’s a great pistol.

Posts: 6005 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been on the hunt for one for years.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I've got one; had it since they were introduced. Nice .22 pistol.
I put X-esse grips on mine, which are a good bit smaller than the stock grips.

As said, use standard velocity ammo in it.
I never did understand using high velocity ammo in a target pistol.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16488 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
for those looking for one, the Hammereli xeese is essentially the same gun.

http://www.larrysguns.com/Depa...B-HammerliBFont.aspx

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I have 2 6"ers but
1)pay attention to the type of magazine. I'm surprised I'm the only one that has experienced this but my two Trailsides use two different magazines. Frown
Not really diffent, except for the cut in them for the magazine release catch. And I've read there might be another variation.
2)The trigger guard acts as a sort of slide stop. So yeah, use standard velocity ammo and I also grease the crap out of mine w/ slide glide light (slows the slide). Since manufacturing of the Xesses, there are replacements for these, as I understand, and they might be to a higher quality.
3)The magazines are plastic. I've heard it recommended that you press the magazine release while inserting mags to add longevity to the parts.

I don't find a barrel weight all that necessary, as I usually "run" Big Grin an Ultra dot slightly forward on the barrel.

A very realiable, accurate, reasonably priced (at the time) pistol otherwise. I'll not part w/ my pair.

Posts: 7319 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
LDBennett is an avid .22 pistol guy, and posts frequently on RimFireCenteral. In posts #12 & #13 of this thread, he reports D. F. Geiger’s findings for several pistols, including the Trailside.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/...wthread.php?t=204578

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8851 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
LDBennett is an avid .22 pistol guy, and posts frequently on RimFireCenteral. In posts #12 & #13 of this thread, he reports D. F. Geiger’s findings for several pistols, including the Trailside.

I own a Buckmark and a Trailside, I find it really hard to believe the Buckmarks are more accurate than Trailside.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:

I own a Buckmark and a Trailside, I find it really hard to believe the Buckmarks are more accurate than Trailside.

I have a Buckmark 5.5 Field, which is basically the 5.5 Target, but dif. sights. And I wouldn't put the Buckmark Plus over it, like he did.
Nor would I put either of those over my two Trailsides.

Posts: 7319 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
I like my tandem a lot. Bought a 4" about 3 years ago, then picked up an unfired 6" last year. The 4" has an ever-so-slightly better trigger, but I think that's only because it had seen some amount of live fire use prior to purchase that's made an excellent trigger that much sweeter.

Standard velocity ammo only. CCI SV is my go-to, but I've used Germany-sourced Wolf Match Grade as well as Aguila Subsonic and Pistol Match. Very accurate with all of them; I'm not good (or patient) enough to see any subtle differences between each of the loads. Slow target shooting is a tough discipline, especially for someone the likes of me.

Only real knock I have about the guns is their relatively light weight; I tend to prefer the heft of my Victory and long barrel Buck Mark over the Trailsides, particularly the shorter 4". However I've yet to try the barrel weight to see if that will make a significant difference. I'd also like to get some nicer wood grips for them; the base plastic grips are decent enough in-hand to use but they do look rather cheesy to my eye.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

The ruger's are gone, as is the colt revolver. I still have the rest.