SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Ruger SR1911 Sight Swap Help - UPDATE. Great Service!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger SR1911 Sight Swap Help - UPDATE. Great Service! Login/Join 
posted
Time to admit defeat! Despite a determined effort to remove the OEM sights on my SR1911, they refuse to budge. At this point, I dont want to risk damaging the slide. My local Smiths are booked up way past the beginning of next year.
So... Anyone here want to take on the job for me? You would be installing a new set of Novak night sights.
If you are interested, please drop me a line on my private e-mail, which is shown on my profile.
Thanks!
Mods: If this is incorrectly posted in the pistol section as opposed to Armorer or Classified, let me know and will delete and I will repost there.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: YooperSigs,

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16090 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The front does have little surface to hammer on, but did you completely remove the set screw on the rear? Maybe a bit of solvent to breakdown any thread-locker?

Posts: 18 | Registered: October 28, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tried everything. Even heated it. No joy!

Posts: 16090 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I invested in a sight pusher with inserts for a variety of sights, about 10 years ago...a good investment. At the time, IIRC, it was $60 or so. I'd suggest doing that rather than beating on the slide, and I predict you'll find a lot of use for it once you've bought one. Rod

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 727 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of sight pushers but none that are 1911 friendly.

posted Hide Post
Today I went ahead and shipped the slide to Novaks to have them mount the sights. Next up is the purchase of a 1911 friendly sight pusher. Real Avid has one that looks up to the task.

posted Hide Post
Update:
Novak turned the slide around in ONE day. The slide spent more time in back and forth transit than it spent in the shop.
Excellent service. Cost was 35 bucks + 12 bucks shipping (FedEx 2nd Day)

Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Novak does fine work for sure..

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Misanthropic Philanthrope
Picture of MWC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Update:
Novak turned the slide around in ONE day. The slide spent more time in back and forth transit than it spent in the shop.
Excellent service. Cost was 35 bucks + 12 bucks shipping (FedEx 2nd Day)

I just saw this thread and was going to weigh in for Novak to do the work, but you already chose Novak. Good choice! They do fast work and are top quality.

Posts: 6772 | Registered: June 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
I have found the MGW Sight Pro sight pusher to be a godsend. It had save me enough $$ on sight removal and installation to pay for itself several times. They have made a hobby version for even a few $$ less.

Posts: 1352 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post