SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Small, Light and Flat 9mm For IWB Carry?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Small, Light and Flat 9mm For IWB Carry? Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
I would like to pick something up to wear IWB only very occasionally and want something in 9mm that is small, light and flat. Like to church and the mall when I'm there at Christmas, etc. Normally it's a Kahr CW380 in my pocket which is really my preferred way to carry.

Right now, the Kahr CW9 and Walther PPS look good and fit that criteria. Any others I should be considering?

The Kahr and Walther are thin single stacks and look about the same size to me:

**I've owned the Kel-Tec PF-9 and the Ruger LC9 before and want something other than them, they were OK but not my favorite**

I've also shot a rental Glock 43 which I thought was OK.

Posts: 33769 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
My PPS M1 fits that role perfectly and provides a lot of factory versatility with the differing mag sizes. It is easy to shoot well, has a pretty good striker trigger and with the exception of the first box of 115 grain stuff has been totally reliable. (Our of the Box my PPS was one of the most tightly fitted handguns I have ever had and it did take 50 or 100 rounds of 124 grain or NATO spec stuff to loosen it up for the really light crappy ammo. Ran everything after that no issues.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted Hide Post
The PPS is a great carry gun, its been mine for a few years now. I prefer its striker trigger to the Kahr's DAO with its long reset. The M&P Shild fits the bill, as does the Glock 43 and the P365. Personally, I would stay away from the SIG offering until it has a longer track record of success.

"Escaped the liberal Borg and living free"

Posts: 2225 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Walther PPS M2, with the caveat that they've had some problems with part of the trigger mechanism gouging the side of the barrel at the rear of the chamber, and they've had some issues with some of their bores flaking/pitting.

That being said: My PPS M2 has so far exhibited neither of those issues (round count is very low, though), it's a sheer joy to carry IWB, and I can shoot it very well for its size.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
P239?

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
SIG 938

Two tone, SAS.. nice and classy for Church.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Blue Machine
Picture of Phred
posted Hide Post
If you normally carry a Kahr, then I would strongly suggest you get another Kahr. That way you keep the exact same manual of arms, trigger action, etc.

I'm not knocking the Walther, I had a PPS(M1) and it was a great gun. But with that, you're switching between two different trigger actions between the Kahr and the Walther (or any other gun for that matter).

Posts: 1626 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: February 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carry a PPS M1 in .40sw so you know which one I'm voting for. I used to carry my PM9 years ago, but that was the kind of gun I would have to be married to if I wanted to shoot it gracefully. The DAO trigger is so long(super smooth though) on Kahr's as you know.

I was kinda excited about the Gen2, but I guess they trashed the idea because it's not even on their website anymore.

Posts: 472 | Location: Montgomery County, PA | Registered: December 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
G43, PPS are both mindlessly easy to IWB carry.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 43 I like that would easily pocket carry. Slim accurate and reliable. Pair it with a pocket holster and it should work out just fine.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ARMT Guy:
SIG 938

I should have listed in my OP that I'd like to stick with DAO type action.

Posts: 33769 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a PPS M1 (my understanding is they are no longer available) It is a great gun but for me, at 20 oz empty it is a bit too heavy for pocket carry which is my preferred method.

I pocket carry a Sig p938 most days or a Ruger LC9s or Glock 43. I used to own a Kahr CM9 which was lighter, and smaller than the three mentioned. It was a good gun and I regret trading it.

Posts: 394 | Location: Florida Gulf Coast | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by ARMT Guy:
SIG 938

I should have listed in my OP that I'd like to stick with DAO type action.

In that case, the Kahr is your huckleberry.

"Escaped the liberal Borg and living free"

Posts: 2225 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
P239?

He mentioned "light".

Posts: 1809 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
There are so many now that fit that criteria that you have a lot of choice. You mention both the G43 and LC9s, which would both be contenders. The Shield has to be in there. Also, the P365, while not strictly single stack, is about the width of a gun that is.

Besides thin and and flat, how long and tall are you willing to go? The new Glock single stacks could come into play.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
For almost two years I've carried the Walther PPS M2 and have really been pleased with it. That said, I've recently gone over to the Sig P365. The Sig seems just as thin as my Walther, I carry it with the ten round magazine for a total of eleven rounds (compared to the 7+1 rounds I carried in my Walther), this individual pistol's trigger is actually better than my Walther's, and the overall size is more compact. They are both well made and dependable options, so I doubt I'll get rid of my PPS M2, but the Sig is definitely my "go to" for the time being.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
P210 Carry.

Oh wait, never mind, that one hasn’t happened yet.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
I've had both and I'd take the P9 all day every day.

I really like the K9,P9 and PM9.

While thin, I find the PPS heavy and bulky enough I might as well carry a gun with more capacity.

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4198 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I were in your position I'd stick with Kahr.

FWIW, when I was trying to decide what compact 9mm to get last year, the Kahr P9 was at, or at least near, the top of my list. I still may get one in the near future.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The P365 is very close in size to most of these, and carries 10 rounds.

Posts: 2771 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post