SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig P239 40/357 Sig question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig P239 40/357 Sig question Login/Join 
posted
I have both barrels. I have a bunch of .40 cal mags and a couple of 357 Sig mags. I know the 40 cal won't work in the 357 sig mags but has anyone tried using 357 Sig rounds in .40 cal mags?

West German Sig P220, P6, P226, BDA

Posts: 89 | Location: NE Ohio Willoughby | Registered: December 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They work fine.

You can actually throw a 9mm barrel in there and shoot 9mm out of the .40 magazine, too. It will feed and function. best to have the right magazine, but it works. It works out of a P226, too, extraction and all.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep...no problem at all using the .357 rounds in the .40 mags.

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tleo205:
Yep...no problem at all using the .357 rounds in the .40 mags.

I have read that many times here.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47364 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had mostly 40 mags for my 357 P239. The 357mags had the front side squeezed so .40 rounds wouldn't fit.

Posts: 1393 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
FWIW: I've got barrels and spring kits for my P239 in .357 Sig, .40 S&W, and 9mm. My 9mm barrels work fine using ammunition in that caliber with either of the other calibers. YMMV!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pulicords:
FWIW: I've got barrels and spring kits for my P239 in .357 Sig, .40 S&W, and 9mm. My 9mm barrels work fine using ammunition in that caliber with either of the other calibers. YMMV!

Just so I understand..I have 2 different P239 SAS
pistols. One is 9mm the other 40/357 Sig with the 2 barrels. If I just that the 9mm barrel, spring and mags out of the 9mm I can use them in the 40/357 Sig pistol? I am intrigued because if this is possible I can sell th 9mm pistol and just buy the 9mm barrel, spring kit and mags. I am used to 3rd gen s&Ws where caliber interchangeability is a foreign concept.

Posts: 89 | Location: NE Ohio Willoughby | Registered: December 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Of course not officially sanctioned, but most report that works just fine.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Yep, I did the same thing... inserted a 9mm barrel in my Sig p239 40/357 using the original recoil spring/rod and magazine and the dern pistol functioned just fine....

I've been warned here not to do the opposite... the 40/357 slide is heavier than the 9mm slide and so shooting a heavier load with the 9mm Slide could (would?) put too much strain on it.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
Yep, I did the same thing... inserted a 9mm barrel in my Sig p239 40/357 using the original recoil spring/rod and magazine and the dern pistol functioned just fine....

I've been warned here not to do the opposite... the 40/357 slide is heavier than the 9mm slide and so shooting a heavier load with the 9mm Slide could (would?) put too much strain on it.

Note: what I'm saying is all you need is a 9mm barrel only... you don't need anything else to shoot 9mm in the p239 40/357 pistol. The problem I've run into is it looks like the only barrels available out thee are ones extended with a thread on then end.... Personally I suggest just keeping the 9mm p239.... I am looking for one in SA/DA to add to my stock...

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help. If our local range reopens today (rumoured) I will take both and try this out.
I think it's wise if I keep both guns for spare parts/ backup if nothing else. Plus buying another barrel is not free.

Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbliss57:
Just so I understand..I have 2 different P239 SAS pistols. One is 9mm the other 40/357 Sig with the 2 barrels. If I just that the 9mm barrel, spring and mags out of the 9mm I can use them in the 40/357 Sig pistol? I am intrigued because if this is possible I can sell th 9mm pistol and just buy the 9mm barrel, spring kit and mags. I am used to 3rd gen s&Ws where caliber interchangeability is a foreign concept.

You can convert a .40 S&W or .357 Sig P239 to 9mm with a barrel and recoil spring change, but not a 9mm pistol (to .40 S&W/.357 Sig). As a 9mm, my P239 shoots just as reliably as it does in the other two calibers (it was originally a .357 Sig) and is in it's most accurate form!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:

You can convert a (dot dot dot) .357 Sig P239 to 9mm with a barrel and recoil spring change

But why? All of the JOY would be X'd out. Obliterated. Cancelled. Negated. Zeroed. Bean-countered. Eliminated. Lost. FUBAR'd.

Why?

Posts: 15839 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
quote:

You can convert a (dot dot dot) .357 Sig P239 to 9mm with a barrel and recoil spring change

But why? All of the JOY would be X'd out. Obliterated. Cancelled. Negated. Zeroed. Bean-countered. Eliminated. Lost. FUBAR'd.

Why?

Because it's there!