SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Value and Make Help for an old Revolver
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Value and Make Help for an old Revolver Login/Join 
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted
My brother’s friend wants to sell her dad’s revolver. We are trying to help her with the value it may bring and what make and model it is.

Her dad was a copilot on a B25 in WWII . She doesn’t even know when the revolver was obtained by her dad.

She and her mom found it in an old box in the closet. They do not want to keep it.

They have asked my brother and I for help to sell it. My brother is thinking about buying it put we do not know its value. Any help appreciated.

Thanks Roy

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ontmark,

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many old .32 S&W chambered revolvers were made around 1900. In general, they do not hold much monetary value. Yours appears to be an H&R.
My grandfather had one made by Iver Johnson.

Posts: 270 | Location: Iowa | Registered: April 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ontmark:

Her dad was a copilot on a B52 in WWII .

Pretty sure that wasn't the case Wink

It's an old H&R. Generally about $50-$75.

Posts: 1485 | Location: Kansas City  | Registered: June 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Isn't New Orleans doing a $500 for functioning guns buy-back? Unless there's sentimental value, that's the best thing to do with it.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1859 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by alptraum:
quote:

Most likely transposed... maybe B25?

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1307 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yeah, no real value to that.

MIL here has one similar to your photos, although I think it's blued finish - they apparently shot it several decades ago and talk about doing it again, but thankfully they can't figure out how to buy ammo for it, so I don't think it'll every happen again.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agree with the H&R ID. Commonly known where I grew up as a "squeezer".
The Iver Johnson model was called an "owls head".
The above nomenclature was courtesy of my hillbilly family.
50 bucks. Maybe.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
A Google search quickly turned up this video. If the condition is anywhere near decent, I would say it is definitely worth more than $50.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-a2Q_Ysksk

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bill Goforth was known as quite knowledgeable on H&R firearms before he passed. He wrote:
https://www.amazon.com/Bill-Go...dcover/dp/B00RWS4AKE
Since it doesn't make much sense to buy a book for $150 to determine the value of a pistol that's not likely to be worth any more than that, perhaps check his reply on this page (it may relate to your find):
https://www.thefirearmsforum.c...r-32-s-w-ctge.71963/

Although GaryBF's video is about the smaller framed "Premier" line, I'd say it's still fairly accurate. If 100%, you could get $200-250. The pics don't show bad condition, but not pristine either. $50-75 may be lowball, but I dunno if I'd say much more than $100

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1859 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is it in California?

Posts: 101 | Registered: July 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
Old top breaks of various manufacture turn up at my LGS from time to time. He lists them with a popular on-line gun auction as "gunsmith specials". Unless they are pristine with the box and instructions, they typically realize somewhere between $75 - $125 depending upon condition.

Posts: 3488 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by timbermart:
Is it in California?

Yes it is in California.

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by alptraum:
quote:

Yes my mistake

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Looks like the same model that President McKinnley was shot with.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Looks like the same model that President McKinnley was shot with.

Very similar indeed, though I believe President McKinley was shot with a .32 caliber Iver Johnson revolver.

Posts: 3488 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
I have one of these on my desk as a paper weight.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuddyChryst:
Isn't New Orleans doing a $500 for functioning guns buy-back? Unless there's sentimental value, that's the best thing to do with it.
It's a long way to travel from California to New Orleans for a $500.00 buy-back.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30547 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hjs157:
Old top breaks of various manufacture turn up at my LGS from time to time. He lists them with a popular on-line gun auction as "gunsmith specials". Unless they are pristine with the box and instructions, they typically realize somewhere between $75 - $125 depending upon condition.

I do the same,

I'll get an avg of $120 or so for them, depending on condtion

poor ones sometimes bring more money as a parts kit on ebay, (crush the frame after stripping it)

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
My brother is going to check it out. It is his friend's from Church that want to get rid of it. I am getting interested in it now also. Hopefully I can get a picture of the top strap area soon.

I want to thank everyone for all the help and knowledge.