Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

X Five 9mm Login/Join 
posted
Hey Guys,
I just bought a X Five in 9mm. Took it to the range today and unfortunately it was stove-piping rounds. Seems the casing would not eject. Anyone have any ideas to help me with this issue? I'm happy to report at 25yds, it is very accurate.

Posts: 151 | Location: Asheville,NC | Registered: April 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
Were you shooting 115s?

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4580 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JBird679
posted Hide Post
Is it the new P320 X5? If so, reports are that they come from the factory VERY tight (intentionally) and require a ~500rd break in period to smooth things out. Some have had issues during the break in, some have not.

Posts: 987 | Location: Upstate, SC | Registered: March 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Which X5? There are tons of different ones.
New? Used?
What ammo? Same brand? Or different brands?

Q

Posts: 26322 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
My guess is it is an older 226X5 with an internal extractor. They were notorious for extraction/ejection issues.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
My guess is it is an older 226X5 with an internal extractor. They were notorious for extraction/ejection issues.

That would be a good guess. But, OP really needs to give more info, in order to get a diagnosis. It's like going to the doctor and said only, "Doc, I don't feel well. What's my problem?" Wink

Q

Posts: 26322 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys,
Here are some answers to your questions:
• Bob, 147 American Eagle
• Jbird, P226 not P320
• TX, X Five Classic 9mm
, Manufactured in 2014
, Purchased Used ( unfired )

One guy said to shoot 124gr and put 2 boxes through it...make sense? Thoughts...

Posts: 151 | Location: Asheville,NC | Registered: April 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by treadhead:
Thanks Guys,
Here are some answers to your questions:
• Bob, 147 American Eagle
• Jbird, P226 not P320
• TX, X Five Classic 9mm
, Manufactured in 2014
, Purchased Used ( unfired )

One guy said to shoot 124gr and put 2 boxes through it...make sense? Thoughts...

Yup, 124 gr ammo. You got to try different ammo. One brand, and only one type of ammo, will not tell you much. The X5 Classic is 2nd Gen gun, so the extractor is not an issue, btw.

Q

posted Hide Post
Thanks TX,
Your input is always appreciated.

posted Hide Post
All the X-5's need some zip in the ammo. AE is pretty slow. Get something quality and try that for a couple of hundred rounds.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10990 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
I agree about the ammo needing some "zip". My 9MM x-5 never malfunctioned, but some more lightly loaded ammo ejected weakly from the X-5. The x-5s are wonderfully soft shooting pistols, even with the warmest 9MM ammo. But, they have enough recoiling mass, and recoil spring and buffer resistance, to cause the slide to short stroke and cause malfunctions with some ammo. FWIW, I've used thousands of rounds of Winchester Q4318 9MM NATO 124 grain ammo in a variety of 9MM semi-auto pistols and Carbines. The NATO is a little more energetic than average US commercial ammo. I mention this because this ammo has reliably cycled any and all of my pistols and carbines without issue......ymmv

NRA Life

Posts: 1563 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
All the X-5's need some zip in the ammo. AE is pretty slow. Get something quality and try that for a couple of hundred rounds.

My 9mm X5 Competition had several early-on FTEx. The last of those was round #813, and it now has 3,130 rounds through it. I mostly shoot 115gr PMC Bronze – no way that's a high power factor round, so I can't agree that X5s need ammo with "some zip". Except for those early-on FTEx, the pistol has had no problems of any sort.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8924 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Today, put 40 rds of Federal 135gr Hydro--shock JHP through it w/o a problem. 147gr Hornaday Red-tips & 115gr Blazer had again stove piping problems.

posted Hide Post
quote:
so I can't agree that X5s need ammo with "some zip".

Guns vary but OK maybe yours is very tolerant. And also I have no experience with PMC bronze so no idea the PF. But I have a pretty long track record on X-5's when I ran them competatively across nearly a dozen models. That's more than 50K rounds with numerous X-5's and they need ammo that is not too weak.
I'm not hopeful treadhead of your continued issues. There are historical extractor problems. I'd get a bunch of nato spec ammo and see where you are. At this point Sig won't fix it, so I think your best option is Bruce if it won't run with good ammo.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10990 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post