SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Arizona State Troopers are going Glock
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Arizona State Troopers are going Glock Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Not az4783054 not AZ DPS, but my department issued 230's to detectives when we transitioned from revolvers to SIG 226 9mm pistols. While I could see an argument for special investigations detectives carrying the 230, it seemed pointless for general assignment investigaators. I have no idea why we didn't authorize the 225 for them.

After the transition to .40, we authorized the 239 for detectives though most stayed with the full size pistol.

Our transition to the FNS-9 was prompted in part by the street crime unit who insisted they needed a smaller pistol with a larger capacity than the 239. Investigators currently have the option of an FNS-9 Compact.

Posts: 24 | Registered: December 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RR:
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
quote:
Originally posted by Nelson Kyle K:
Got some interesting news and a tidbit of information about the Arizona DPS Troopers when the retire they get to buy their Duty Sidearm and Colt Patrol Rifle back for only a $1.00 that’s right Boys and Girls just a buck you heard me right a buck.

Unless things have changed drastically, retiring officers can buy back only one of their issued weapons for $1.00 not all of them.

When I retired from DPS the state law and department policy was that the retiree could purchase one issued weapon at fair market value. I could chose between my 870, P220 or P230.

The department wanted $650 for my 12 year old P220/45. I passed. State law and department policy subsequently changed after my retirement.

You guys carried a P230? Was that issue?

The P230 was issued to plain clothes CI units to supplement the P220 or P226. The lounge lizards could also carry an issued P230. We had to qualify with them just as any other issued weapon.

I carried my P230 sometimes but preferred my personally owned P225 for most situations. My assigned P220 was a little to big for UC.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by RR:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Nelson Kyle K:
Got some interesting news and a tidbit of information about the Arizona DPS Troopers when the retire they get to buy their Duty Sidearm and Colt Patrol Rifle back for only a $1.00 that’s right Boys and Girls just a buck you heard me right a buck.

Unless things have changed drastically, retiring officers can buy back only one of their issued weapons for $1.00 not all of them.

When I retired from DPS the state law and department policy was that the retiree could purchase one issued weapon at fair market value. I could chose between my 870, P220 or P230.

The department wanted $650 for my 12 year old P220/45. I passed. State law and department policy subsequently changed after my retirement.

You guys carried a P230? Was that issue?

The P230 was issued to plain clothes CI units to supplement the P220 or P226. The lounge lizards could also carry an issued P230. We had to qualify with them just as any other issued weapon.

I carried my P230 sometimes but preferred my personally owned P225 for most situations. My assigned P220 was a little to big for UC.
Im kinda surprised that the Arizona DPS doesn’t adopt a personal carry Duty Sidearm like three of the State Trooper Agencies New Mexico, Nevada and Utah that allows the carry of personal owned handguns and not the issue.

Posts: 85 | Location: Bloomington Minnesota | Registered: May 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Again, unless things have changed drastically, AZ DPS did allow officers to carry personally owned weapons on duty. A personally owned primary weapon had to be SIG and inspected/approved by the armory. It had to be in a caliber which the department already supplied issued ammunition. Officers still had to qualify with personally owned weapons.

A backup weapon could be something other than SIG, but had to be no less than 9mm or .38spl, revolver or semi auto. It had to be inspected/approved by the armory. Officers still had to qualify with their backup weapon.

There was no steadfast rule on off duty weapons nor qualification as I recall. I'd be willing to bet that has since changed. Many officers didn't even carry off duty.

I was one of very few who chose to carry personal weapons. The main reason being that few wanted to risk damage to their personal weapons when excellent issued weapons were provided and serviced. Doing so was a risk. If an officer damaged or lost his personal weapon on duty, it was a prolonged wait to see if the department would reimburse.

AZ DPS formerly had carried revolvers for years with six spare rounds on their duty belt. It took years to get the lounge lizards in charge to approve speed loaders or speed strips. The agency was run by a bunch of lounge lizards that thought that was good enough for them when they worked the road and still good enough for officers. It took years to change their minds. Weapon lights were unheard of. Night sights could only be installed at officer expense, then approved by the armory. DPS was one of the last AZ agencies to transition to semi auto.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Again, unless things have changed drastically, AZ DPS did allow officers to carry personally owned weapons on duty. A personally owned primary weapon had to be SIG and inspected/approved by the armory. It had to be in a caliber which the department already supplied issued ammunition. Officers still had to qualify with personally owned weapons.

A backup weapon could be something other than SIG, but had to be no less than 9mm or .38spl, revolver or semi auto. It had to be inspected/approved by the armory. Officers still had to qualify with their backup weapon.

There was no steadfast rule on off duty weapons nor qualification as I recall. I'd be willing to bet that has since changed. Many officers didn't even carry off duty.

I was one of very few who chose to carry personal weapons. The main reason being that few wanted to risk damage to their personal weapons when excellent issued weapons were provided and serviced. Doing so was a risk. If an officer damaged or lost his personal weapon on duty, it was a prolonged wait to see if the department would reimburse.

AZ DPS formerly had carried revolvers for years with six spare rounds on their duty belt. It took years to get the lounge lizards in charge to approve speed loaders or speed strips. The agency was run by a bunch of lounge lizards that thought that was good enough for them when they worked the road and still good enough for officers. It took years to change their minds. Weapon lights were unheard of. Night sights could only be installed at officer expense, then approved by the armory. DPS was one of the last AZ agencies to transition to semi auto.
What Revolvers Model and brand did the DPS carry 357 Magnum or 38 Special +P?

Posts: 85 | Location: Bloomington Minnesota | Registered: May 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
When I started DPS officers had to purchase their own weapons, choosing between a $100 4" Model 15 or a $125 4" Model 19. DPS paid only $495/mo at the time so that was a significant expense. DPS is still one of the lower paid agencies in the state in spite of being given more responsibilities by statute but not enough additional funds to accomplish the mandates.

A few years later DPS issued S&W Model 4" 15 pistols to officers. No +p ammunition was issued. I carried my own 4" Model 19 so I could use .357 magnum loads which was issued to SWAT. Later, I carried a 4" Model 686.

posted Hide Post
quote:
When I started DPS officers had to purchase their own weapons, choosing between a $100 4" Model 15 or a $125 4" Model 19. DPS paid only $495/mo at the time so that was a significant expense. DPS is still one of the lower paid agencies in the state in spite of being given more responsibilities by statute but not enough additional funds to accomplish the mandates.

A few years later DPS issued S&W Model 4" 15 pistols to officers. No +p ammunition was issued. I carried my own 4" Model 19 so I could use .357 magnum loads which was issued to SWAT. Later, I carried a 4" Model 686.
Love em all those revolvers. I always wanted to be a State Trooper and Patrol among the Cactus,Mountains Red Rocks also would love to be a RCMP Constable too. My State Minnesota their State Troopers had the S&W Model 10 38 forever until the 80’s when they to the 357 Magnum S&W 681 and 686 until 1992 they went to the Beretta 96 Centurion 40 then the early 200’s they went to the Glock Model 22 40 cal gen3 now they have had for the last four to five years the Glock Model 22 40 Gen4 but in the next two years looking to go back to a 9 MM is what I was told buy a Trooper wether it the Glock 17 Gen5 or something else that’s to be determined.

Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
You don't get to pick where you're going to be stationed...for at least one year, then you can request but will probably be denied. While in the last few weeks of the academy you will get the opportunity to list three areas you'd like to be assigned to. You're likely to be disappointed by the departments choice for you. Being from out of state means you're not likely to be assigned to your desired "Cactus, Mountains and Red Rocks", at least not initially. To many veterans ahead of you get their choices before the recruits. Remote duty stations can actually be the best training for a new officer.

The state has added hundreds of miles of new freeway in the metro Phoenix area. More state highways are in the planning stages. Widening existing state highways as well. So that's where many are assigned after completing the Phoenix Regional Academy, then months of OJT with a training officer, generally in the area where you will be assigned, but not necessarily. You could end up on the reservation or an outlying remote duty station. You might be the only officer assigned to a duty station. You could end up working the metro Phoenix area, which I call the valley of the damned. It was not my favorite assignment. If you've ever been in Phoenix during summer monsoon months you know what I mean.

There is a high % of applicants that don't pass the initial written testing or physical agility testing. There is a high % of people that don't pass the polygraph, background investigation and psychological testing. There is a good % drop out rate in the academy if you're not prepared academically, physically, emotionally and psychologically. There is a good % drop out rate within the first 3-5 years of 24/7/365 call outs, low pay compared to other agencies, not getting paid 100% of your OT on a regular basis, politics within the agency, etc. Political legislators, governors and DPS Directors change every four years and likewise effects the agency. Everybody has a camera phone watching your every move. Your split second decisions are second guessed for months by the media, general public, agency lounge lizards, defense attorneys, prosecutors and judges. No COTA and poor management effects moral. Shift work effects your personal life. Favored assignments may take years of applying.

I don't mean to discourage you, but law enforcement is not the job it once was. Ask anyone who's done it for a few years these days and they'll tell you the same. It's not the glamorous job as I sense you may have of it. I served for over 26 years. I worked in assignments that the majority of officers never will. It's not about driving fast in cool police cars (DPS doesn't have those anymore) and carrying a neat gun. It is a very satisfying career choice if you can deal with all the BS. I still miss it everyday.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...935/m/7630066054/p/1

I would suggest that you consider joining a MN agency to work for after you obtain whatever degree(s) you're working on. Get some experience. Then look at laterally transferring to the agency of your dreams. More officer candidates with prior LE experience and/or military experience get through the hiring process than someone with just a dream. Don't lose your enthusiasm.

You should be studying everything you can about diverse AZ, DPS officer physical requirements, the DPS mission statement and divisions within the agency.

https://www.azdps.gov/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: az4783054,

posted Hide Post
quote:
You don't get to pick where you're going to be stationed...for at least one year, then you can request but will probably be denied. While in the last few weeks of the academy you will get the opportunity to list three areas you'd like to be assigned to. You're likely to be disappointed by the departments choice for you. Being from out of state means you're not likely to be assigned to your desired "Cactus, Mountains and Red Rocks", at least not initially. To many veterans ahead of you get their choices before the recruits. Remote duty stations can actually be the best training for a new officer.

The state has added hundreds of miles of new freeway in the metro Phoenix area. More state highways are in the planning stages. Widening existing state highways as well. So that's where many are assigned after completing the Phoenix Regional Academy, then months of OJT with a training officer, generally in the area where you will be assigned, but not necessarily. You could end up on the reservation or an outlying remote duty station. You might be the only officer assigned to a duty station. You could end up working the metro Phoenix area, which I call the valley of the damned. It was not my favorite assignment. If you've ever been in Phoenix during summer monsoon months you know what I mean.

There is a high % of applicants that don't pass the initial written testing or physical agility testing. There is a high % of people that don't pass the polygraph, background investigation and psychological testing. There is a good % drop out rate in the academy if you're not prepared academically, physically, emotionally and psychologically. There is a good % drop out rate within the first 3-5 years of 24/7/365 call outs, low pay compared to other agencies, not getting paid 100% of your OT on a regular basis, politics within the agency, etc. Political legislators, governors and DPS Directors change every four years and likewise effects the agency. Everybody has a camera phone watching your every move. Your split second decisions are second guessed for months by the media, general public, agency lounge lizards, defense attorneys, prosecutors and judges. No COTA and poor management effects moral. Shift work effects your personal life. Favored assignments may take years of applying.

I don't mean to discourage you, but law enforcement is not the job it once was. Ask anyone who's done it for a few years these days and they'll tell you the same. It's not the glamorous job as I sense you may have of it. I served for over 26 years. I worked in assignments that the majority of officers never will. It's not about driving fast in cool police cars (DPS doesn't have those anymore) and carrying a neat gun. It is a very satisfying career choice if you can deal with all the BS. I still miss it everyday.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...935/m/7630066054/p/1

I would suggest that you consider joining a MN agency to work for after you obtain whatever degree(s) you're working on. Get some experience. Then look at laterally transferring to the agency of your dreams. More officer candidates with prior LE experience and/or military experience get through the hiring process than someone with just a dream. Don't lose your enthusiasm.

You should be studying everything you can about diverse AZ, DPS officer physical requirements, the DPS mission statement and divisions within the agency.

https://www.azdps.gov/
I greatly appreciate the information I wouldn’t mind working the Phoenix or Tucson Area or between them too I spent some time with the District 11 Fountain Hills Beeline District Men And Women they were extremely friendly and I left AZ with an highly likable opinion of the DPS Troopers you all are awesome.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
Looking forward to the flood of police turn-in guns in the local guns stores.
Yeah, but who want's an FNS Longslide or another P226 in 40???

Meh.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post