SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    So I am a student of the Gun......
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So I am a student of the Gun...... Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:You are confusing luck with a predisposed outcome. The rooster crows, the sun comes up, therefore the rooster had to make the sun come up.

That's as foolish, and reckless as the tactical Ted crowd.

I guess it all comes down to level of performance vs needed performance in a given situation. If your draw time is 30 seconds and you shoot 3' groups at 3 yards, you'll probably lose most of the time. If the first indication of trouble is catching a bullet in the back of the head, it won't matter how fast or accurate you are.

Who really knows what skill level is needed to get a person to 90%, 95%, 99% ? As with most things, that last increment of proficiency often comes at a high cost. Time and money. If doubling your practice time and ammo takes you from 50% to 99% it's a great return. If doubling gets you 99.9 instead of 99.0 it's probably insignificant to an individual who is unlikely to even test it once in a lifetime.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Marksmanship, gun handling skills, and mindset. Removing one of these legs and the stool topples over pretty quick. (Pun intended for those paying attention...) Luck is never an acceptable tactic.

Ignem Feram

Posts: 528 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mlazarus:
Marksmanship, gun handling skills, and mindset. Removing one of these legs and the stool topples over pretty quick. (Pun intended for those paying attention...) Luck is never an acceptable tactic.

Luck, by its very nature, is not, and cannot be a tactic.

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cslinger, I'm with you. Strictly a student. I love the mechanics, the design and and variety of guns. Love to shoot. Don't do it enough. Have not been to classes - would like to. The best teacher I've had (also the best shot I know) is my father-in-law. He grew up shooting and has his own methods. He studied the books of the grand masters (e.g. Bill Jordan), but has his own take on technique.

Becoming familiar with your firearms, internals and practical shooting, especially your carry piece(s), is very important to me.

As you say, we tend to scare a lot of people, especially if we go too hard-core on them. If you haven't been brought up around guns, it's difficult to not think of them as 'evil' especially with the press anti-gun stance - not to mention Hollyweird.

I really admire those on the forum who have taken the time to introduce folks to the fun and practicality of the shooting sports.

We've taken my nieces and nephew out to the farm for some informal shooting sessions. They have all had fun and have become very safe shooters. Most now have their concealed carry licenses. My nephew is an AR 'student'. I haven't gone that route, (but the Anderson RF85 models are kinda cool).

There's room for all of us in this sport. I keep a 220 by the bedside (an 870 nearby) and the wife has a Model 60 on her night stand. I believe we (along with our passel of mutts) could deter some folks from doing too much damage.

I love this forum - You guys are golden!

Keep your powder dry and carry on...

drendean

Posts: 48 | Location: Bagdad, KY | Registered: January 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
You mentioned the grip cut out on the Gen 5. This is what I got.

Its a Gen 2 mag floor plate.

http://www.rockyourglock.com/custom/PG-FMLBD9.htm

Posts: 7389 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by mlazarus:

Luck, by its very nature, is not, and cannot be a tactic.
There is a great quote, (apparently falsely) attributed to Thomas Jefferson, "I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post