SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Convert P220 DAK to SA/DA
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Convert P220 DAK to SA/DA Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Although the earliest P220s didn’t incorporate it, you should have a hammer reset spring.
The purpose of that spring is to pull the hammer back from contact with the firing pin if the hammer is “thumbed down” rather than lowered with the decocker. The lack of that spring was supposedly the reason a police officer was killed by his dropped P220 many years ago.

If the decocker is used as it should be, the reset spring serves no purpose and is unnecessary, but I suppose there might be some sort of liability thing if someone else used the gun and didn’t decock it properly on a chambered round.

One other thing I’ll mention about the P220 hammer reset spring is that it’s the only SIG pistol part I’ve personally seen fail more than once. For some reason they are more prone to breaking than any other part in my experience: get a couple of spares.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billinaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Although the earliest P220s didn’t incorporate it, you should have a hammer reset spring.
The purpose of that spring is to pull the hammer back from contact with the firing pin if the hammer is “thumbed down” rather than lowered with the decocker. The lack of that spring was supposedly the reason a police officer was killed by his dropped P220 many years ago.

If the decocker is used as it should be, the reset spring serves no purpose and is unnecessary, but I suppose there might be some sort of liability thing if someone else used the gun and didn’t decock it properly on a chambered round.

One other thing I’ll mention about the P220 hammer reset spring is that it’s the only SIG pistol part I’ve personally seen fail more than once. For some reason they are more prone to breaking than any other part in my experience: get a couple of spares.

Got 2 coming.

I just assumed that the DAK didnt have one.

Posts: 159 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billinaz:
I just assumed that the DAK didnt have one.

It does not.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post