SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Is P290 Discontinued?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is P290 Discontinued? Login/Join 
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Can you please confirm/ back up the statement that the 365 is larger than the 290?

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3188 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of stormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1KPerDay:
Can you please confirm/ back up the statement that the 365 is larger than the 290?

It is barely larger. IIRC, the slide is 0.2” longer, the frame width is 0.1” wider and the total height is 0.2” taller (or something like that). The 365 is also ~3 oz lighter than the 290rs.

Posts: 327 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Specs for .. P290 . P365
length ....... 5.5 .. 5.8
height ....... 3.9 .. 4.3
width ........ 1.1 .. 1.06
weight ...... 20.5 . 17.8

Specifications from Sig website for P365 and Sig owners manual for P290.

Posts: 625 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Every day is New Year's Day
for Calendar Boy!

Oh, and I'm BANNED
posted Hide Post
I just bought a used P290 and have only put a box of ammo through it but I really like it and so far it's been perfect.

The trigger is not heavy nor long, recoil is very managable with the 8rnd mags I have with mine. I'll soon have a couple 6rnd mags to try out.

It is NOT hard to shoot well, has great sights, good trigger and doesn't recoil much for such a small gun, I'd say it's on par with a G43 even though the G43 is a bigger gun. I'd also say it's just about as easy to shoot as a G43 or my G42.

Now, I can understand bad feelings if someone got a P290 that didn't work correctly and had to be repaired. So, knock on wood, I hope mine remains reliable.

After I get more rounds through mine and try it out with HPs I plan on getting a holster or 2 for it and I'll carry it when I want something smaller than my P229 or P245.

Posts: 1045 | Registered: September 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gc70:
quote:

Specs for .. P290 . P365

thanks!

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3188 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by gc70:
quote:

Specs for .. P290 . P365

thanks!

According to my Mitutoyo calipers the 290RS measures .900” wide at the grip and .937” wide at the rear of the slide. The absolute widest spot is the small nub of the slide release that sticks out, which measures at 1.040” wide.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett B:
According to my Mitutoyo calipers the 290RS measures .900” wide at the grip and .937” wide at the rear of the slide. The absolute widest spot is the small nub of the slide release that sticks out, which measures at 1.040” wide.

Correct; the P290 Owners Manual says:
quote:
Overall Width 0.9” (1.1” with slide catch lever)

Posts: 625 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 290 hurt my hand, it was not for me.

Posts: 474 | Location: Minnesota  | Registered: June 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I bought one slightly used a few months ago to take the place of my Ruger LC9s pro... started thinking that a very light trigger pull all though great at the range was not as 'safe' for everyday carry... Did some light research of Sigs (which is what I have switched to) and decided I wanted a 290... what I bought was the older non reset model with the factory laser. I don't have a problem with the trigger pull... it's what I wanted and got, pistol is accurate as all get out. What I don't like about it... with the short 6 round mag the grip is just too dern short for me... and one other issue... for some reason a fully loaded spare mag. will lose a round or two over time....but at least it does not rust like the LC9s and it's magazines did over the summer..
(Old fat white guy that sweats sometimes like a stuck pig.)

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John3200:
Now, I can understand bad feelings if someone got a P290 that didn't work correctly and had to be repaired. So, knock on wood, I hope mine remains reliable.

Does the 290 have a problem is it known for?

I picked one up a few weeks ago, didn't know anything about it but it's got very little wear, came with the box & all paperwork so I figured it's gotta be worth $325.

I got it home and realized its DAO and I've never had or even shot one before. The hammer doesn't pull all the way back when pulling the trigger, in fact it barely moves, then drops ... It works sorta like a single action except, once you rack the slide the hammer is at like 1/2 cock, then when you pull the trigger goes full back and releases. Is this the correct function?

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
I had one. It was OK. I had trouble because the trigger broke so far back. I did like the concept.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimberkid:
quote:
Originally posted by John3200:

Does the 290 have a problem is it known for?

I picked one up a few weeks ago, didn't know anything about it but it's got very little wear, came with the box & all paperwork so I figured it's gotta be worth $325.

I got it home and realized its DAO and I've never had or even shot one before. The hammer doesn't pull all the way back when pulling the trigger, in fact it barely moves, then drops ... It works sorta like a single action except, once you rack the slide the hammer is at like 1/2 cock, then when you pull the trigger goes full back and releases. Is this the correct function?

Light strikes was the chief issue with a number of guns. I recall a number of people here, around the web AND among our own customers complaining about having the issue and having to send their guns back to SIG. At least a few complained after their guns returned as well, saying that the problem still wasn't fixed. Mostly the problem showed up when shooting ammo with hard primers or heavy primer sealant, like S&B used to use with their "red" primers. Other guns like the hammer-fired LC9 also had trouble with those types of ammo as well.

SIG ultimately responded by revamping the 290 into the 290RS, which added restrike capability. A few of these still had light striker issues with early production guns, but for the most part that issue seem to have went away.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
I had one. It was OK. I had trouble because the trigger broke so far back. I did like the concept.
Same here, along with erratic ejection, crooked front sight, and a weird trigger that felt different in dry fire from live fire.

Oh and the magazines kinda sucked.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post