SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Is P290 Discontinued?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Is P290 Discontinued? Login/Join 
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted
I couldn't find it on Sig's site.




The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.
 
Posts: 15816 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Yup. They did a run of 380’s this year but otherwise yes. That gun was a dog


_______________________________________________
Use thumb-size bullets to create fist-size holes.
 
Posts: 12508 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
Picture of soggy_spinout
posted Hide Post
The 365 will end up occupying the same market segment as the 290RS did. SIG may as well eliminate one competitor while pushing their new gun, even if it was an in-house competitor that, at least for most dealers around here including our shop, didn't sell well.
 
Posts: 8219 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of rlex
posted Hide Post
Don't agree that it is a dog.... One of my carry weapons....takes some skill to use


Retired US Naval Officer - Surface Warfare
MPX SBR
220
226 Mk 25
228
229 SCT
239
250c
320c FDE
P6
290 SR
Mosquito
 
Posts: 34 | Location: PA | Registered: April 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
The 290 was a big disappointment to me and probably many others as well. I think the problem with trigger not resetting was rampant,because when I shopped for mine I came across two brand new guns in the gunshop whose trigger wouldn't reset. When I bought mine the trigger worked but within 200 rounds the trigger started to stick and not reset. I sent it back to Sig and they fixed it but when something like this happens I find it very difficult to trust as a carry gun.

I recently traded the 290; totally disgusted after seeing that it is no longer in the Sig line up. Bought a 938 .....took a beating on a gun (290RS) I only owned for two months, but I love the 938 and don't regret making the trade.
 
Posts: 136 | Location: Florida Gulf Coast | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
The 365 will end up occupying the same market segment as the 290RS did. SIG may as well eliminate one competitor while pushing their new gun, even if it was an in-house competitor that, at least for most dealers around here including our shop, didn't sell well.


Keep in mind also that the 239 was dropped as well as the 290 and I agree that the 365 will be a huge seller for Sig and will fill that void.
 
Posts: 136 | Location: Florida Gulf Coast | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
On paper the 365 looks to knock several out of the market.
I hope it meets the expectations.
 
Posts: 4037 | Location: North GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I had a 290, didn't like it and sold it. I bought it thinking that it was Sig's answer to the Kahr lineup, of which I have three. Not even close. The trigger isn't nearly as good and it just didn't feel right in my hand like a Kahr cm9 does.
 
Posts: 59 | Registered: January 22, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
That's too bad. I kinda' like it as a BUG. I might have to scrounge around for one.

Probably, it is one of the last hammer fired sub-compacts that we shall see.




The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.
 
Posts: 15816 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of rlex
posted Hide Post
I have put 100's of rounds thru mine and never had a problem...it's a good gun


Retired US Naval Officer - Surface Warfare
MPX SBR
220
226 Mk 25
228
229 SCT
239
250c
320c FDE
P6
290 SR
Mosquito
 
Posts: 34 | Location: PA | Registered: April 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I like my RS. Never had an issue at range and that was shooting crap Tula for the most part. Heavy and has long DAO stroke but for a pocket I think that isn't a negative. Guarantee the 365 is bigger. Probably not heavier though.
 
Posts: 1768 | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
That's too bad. I kinda' like it as a BUG. I might have to scrounge around for one.

Probably, it is one of the last hammer fired sub-compacts that we shall see.


I have one of the "upgraded" Beretta pico for a last ditch BUG. Has some pros and cons but it is a hammer fired.
 
Posts: 1360 | Location: Florida / NC  | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ken 3D:
I had a 290, didn't like it and sold it. I bought it thinking that it was Sig's answer to the Kahr lineup, of which I have three. Not even close. The trigger isn't nearly as good and it just didn't feel right in my hand like a Kahr cm9 does.

Yes, it was a swing and a miss for SIG, especially with their patented user beta testing (dead trigger issue), then "P290RS" model.

Top heavy, heavy, a lot of meh.
 
Posts: 38051 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rlex:
....takes some skill to use

That was the gun's biggest negative.
 
Posts: 544 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of rlex
posted Hide Post
'cause you want the unskilled handling firearms...?


Retired US Naval Officer - Surface Warfare
MPX SBR
220
226 Mk 25
228
229 SCT
239
250c
320c FDE
P6
290 SR
Mosquito
 
Posts: 34 | Location: PA | Registered: April 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of stormin
posted Hide Post
I have to say that I prefer my 290RS a whole lot more than my Kahr PM9. While the Sig does have a very revolver like trigger pull, it’s easy to pick up and gain proficiency with. It shoots very well for a micro 9 and it soaks up recoil easily due to the extra slide weight.

Unlike the Kahr with its poorly designed and weak mag release, the loaded mags don’t pop out of the frame every time you breathe on the pistol. I also appreciate the metal frame rails opposed to the polymer rails on the Kahr.

YMMV, but I really like the 290RS for a 6+1 micro 9. If you can shoot a DA revolver, it’ll feel very natural to you.
 
Posts: 253 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rlex:
'cause you want the unskilled handling firearms...?


No but you don’t want to need extra skill to shoot that thing. As yes I owned one and yes I was perfectly accurate with it. It still sucked. Top heavy, terrible trigger that somehow is worse in live fire. There’s a reason the 290 was $600 when released and sold for half that on its way out. The 290 does nothing better than a Kahr. Just because the gun is reliable doesn’t make it good. Plenty of Hi-points are reliable. By dog I mean it didn’t exactly fly off the shelves. It was a slow seller since day one.


_______________________________________________
Use thumb-size bullets to create fist-size holes.
 
Posts: 12508 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
Picture of soggy_spinout
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stroonz:
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
The 365 will end up occupying the same market segment as the 290RS did. SIG may as well eliminate one competitor while pushing their new gun, even if it was an in-house competitor that, at least for most dealers around here including our shop, didn't sell well.


Keep in mind also that the 239 was dropped as well as the 290 and I agree that the 365 will be a huge seller for Sig and will fill that void.

The P225-A1 that spawned from the loins of the P239 fills whatever void the discontinuation of P239 production may have created.

But frankly I don't think that there was all that much of a hole in the lineup to be filled. Only dyed-in-the-wool SIG fans paid attention to the P239; casual pistol shoppers in our shop rarely if ever looked at the gun, let alone buying into the P239. Especially so after the Shield went live. Even a lot of prior SIG owners would pass over the limited capacity and relatively heavy gun, particularly with the P229 and its greater firepower close to being the same in most dimensions. Those who wanted a much more truly workable CCW went single-stack polymer...in droves actually, considering that alternatives were half the price of a P239.

As for the 290/290RS: I personally didn't care for the gun. Hard for me to shoot with speed and any sort of reasonably effective accuracy. Too much trigger travel to account for and control, dictated by the damn trigger breaking as far back as it does. And it initially didn't have the best rep with regards to reliability. Lots of 290s made the pilgrimage back to Exeter to fix light strike issues, and for me that's still a hard thing to forget.
 
Posts: 8219 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
My 290RS has been a great little pistol. I pocket carry it all the time in a TT Gunleather holster.

It doesn't bother me a bit that it is a 3-4 ounces heavier than other options. It runs 100% reliably with cheap Blazer and Federal range ammo, as well as Hornady Critical Defense and Speer Gold Dot hollow points. That is a lot better than I can say for some of the other pocket 9mm options that I tried. The 290RS also has real dove tail sights.

The long hammer fired trigger w/out a safety is exactly what I want for a pocket pistol. It's certainly not as fast or easy as a striker fired pistol, but I don't find it any more challenging than a typical DAO revolver.

It makes sense that Sig discontinued it since the early issues with the non-RS model looks like it really damagedd sales. I think Sig initially priced it too high as well, mine was a great buy at $299 brand new. The new P365 should have a lot of overlap even though it is slightly larger in every dimension so it will be harder to pocket carry. I'll probably pick up a P365 but carry it IWB only, so the trusty 290RS will still be used for pocket carry.







I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.

-Vince Lombardi
 
Posts: 2276 | Location: Ohio | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of rlex
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett B:
My 290RS has been a great little pistol. I pocket carry it all the time in a TT Gunleather holster.

It doesn't bother me a bit that it is a 3-4 ounces heavier than other options. It runs 100% reliably with cheap Blazer and Federal range ammo, as well as Hornady Critical Defense and Speer Gold Dot hollow points. That is a lot better than I can say for some of the other pocket 9mm options that I tried. The 290RS also has real dove tail sights.

The long hammer fired trigger w/out a safety is exactly what I want for a pocket pistol. It's certainly not as fast or easy as a striker fired pistol, but I don't find it any more challenging than a typical DAO revolver.

It makes sense that Sig discontinued it since the early issues with the non-RS model looks like it really damagedd sales. I think Sig initially priced it too high as well, mine was a great buy at $299 brand new. The new P365 should have a lot of overlap even though it is slightly larger in every dimension so it will be harder to pocket carry. I'll probably pick up a P365 but carry it IWB only, so the trusty 290RS will still be used for pocket carry.






He's right.


Retired US Naval Officer - Surface Warfare
MPX SBR
220
226 Mk 25
228
229 SCT
239
250c
320c FDE
P6
290 SR
Mosquito
 
Posts: 34 | Location: PA | Registered: April 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Is P290 Discontinued?

© SIGforum 2018