SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    If this P226 is correct, is it safe to shoot?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If this P226 is correct, is it safe to shoot? Login/Join 
7.62mm Crusader
posted
Looks quite like a pinned breech block and folded steel slide. Yet wears a .40 caliber barrel? I dont recall ever seeing one like it. Also, its slide looks way too flat at rear of ejection port. Guns International # 101363518. I wonder if it is even safe to shoot? It must have a 9mm breech face. The mags base plate looks like a .40 caliber..WTH?

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
That is a strange one, and it would be very interesting to see the factory box. A custom conversion that opened up the breech face wouldn’t have been too difficult, though, and then a 40 S&W barrel and recoil spring could be fitted. A standard factory 40 barrel would not fit a standard 9mm breechblock because the barrel hood extension is too wide.

I don’t know of any reason why it would be unsafe to shoot, although the slide velocity would probably be higher than normal and would be hard on the frame.

I agree, though, that the top of the slide looks odd as well. Although I have never heard of such a thing, I wonder if it’s possible that SIG made some very early 40 P226s using the formed and welded carbon steel slides. As I say, I’d like to see the box.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I'm betting that's an aftermarket Frankenjob. Clearly a W. German gun with the folded slide and pinned breech block. Grips are also wrong. "Factory" box, I'll bet, will be unlabeled / unmatched. The font on the barrel hood appears to be late, like after 2009 or so. Yeah sure, it might shoot but definitely will batter the gun (slide) much much more than the 9mm. Maybe someone who happens to live near Cabela's Owatonna, Minnesota can go take peek.

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Yup, I noticed the grips also. It has a spiral roll pin installed. Wondering if the slides top may have been damaged and milled down. I thought of sending a message through the site due to liability factor. Gun is just not right.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Interesting gun for sure.

I'm unable to make out whether the slide and frame SN match.

The Take Down Lever is interesting. It has the early (older) style lever, however the shaft appears to be the later "Bullseye" type.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
The P226 in .40 is the absolute cheapest Sig to be had on Broker. I would buy one there long before I bought a gun with a questionable pedigree. I see them routinely for @ $400; sometimes less.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15574 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I did get a email response back from them this morning and they will have the piece checked out.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
I did get a email response back from them this morning and they will have the piece checked out.

Good on you for doing that. I would not have expected a response.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would be curious to see the underside of the frame to see if there are aftermarket importer marks, such as C.A.I.
If so, it may be a poor condition import that someone has tried to rebuild into a shooter.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post