SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Lets talk 10 MM ??
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lets talk 10 MM ?? Login/Join 
Picture of T.Webb
posted
During the current ammo shortage, I've decided to finally begin reloading, and to introduce another caliber (or 2) to my current inventory. A buddy passed away and I was able to purchase 2 Dillon 550's from the estate. Along with the presses, I acquired a set of dies in .40/10MM, 2 calibers I currently don't stock. Now, I have a .40 cal barrel for my .357 Sig P229, but I don't own a 10MM.

So, my question is ... would you look for a striker fired 10MM, or a 1911 style? I'm considering a Glock, or a Rock Island 10MM to get my feet wet.

And since I'm also searching low and high for primers, I'm in absolutely no hurry to make a decision.

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've decided to finally begin reloading,

Perfect timing. Roll Eyes Razz

I am not a 10mm guy and I am not a pure Glock guy but there is a ton to like about the Glock 20 and it’s a really nice shooter in 10mm.

Chris

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JMag
posted Hide Post
I’d go 1911 in 10mm.

JMag
"The truth is incontrovertible; malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is." ? Winston Churchill

Posts: 796 | Location: Southeastern U.S. | Registered: March 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
quote:
I've decided to finally begin reloading,

Perfect timing. Roll Eyes Razz

I am not a 10mm guy and I am not a pure Glock guy but there is a ton to like about the Glock 20 and it’s a really nice shooter in 10mm.

Chris

That would be my choice as well.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4823 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Failing to prepare is
preparing to fail.
Picture of SigLaw
posted Hide Post
I have a basic Kimber 1911 that I enjoy. About 500 rounds and it is flawless. Low-capacity but a heck of a wallop.

Posts: 1355 | Location: Gilbert, AZ | Registered: November 08, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I prefer 1911 to Glock, but I am sorely tempted by the Glock 40 with 6" barrel and a holographic sight.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
I prefer 1911 to Glock, but I am sorely tempted by the Glock 40 with 6" barrel and a holographic sight.

I believe the Glock will hold up to 10mm better than the 1911.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4823 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
If you like 1911s, get a 1911. RIA or Ruger would be the most cost-effective route.

If you prefer striker-fired, get a Glock or Springfield Armory.

If you prefer hammer-fired DA/SA, get an EAA/Tanfoglio Witness. They come in metal & polymer frame models and are competitively priced. If you want something equivalent to a CZ Shadow series in 10mm, they make that too.

There's also the Grand Power P40 w/ rotating barrel lock-up, but they're hard to find and have very little aftermarket support, even if you're just looking for holsters & sights.

If you can't make up your mind, get a Glock 20 or 40. They can shoot 40S&W w/o modification, can be converted to 45ACP w/ a barrel & mag swap, and are the easiest to resell if you decide 10mm isn't for you.

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Neither. I’d go with a S&W revolver. You can shoot both 10mm & .40 S&W and besides quick reloads the moon clips make collecting spent brass a cinch. No experience with one yet but Ruger also has a revolver offering.

Posts: 90 | Location: SW VA | Registered: January 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dan Wesson Kodiak ! Big Grin

Posts: 62 | Registered: January 02, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Badhammer:
Neither. I’d go with a S&W revolver. You can shoot both 10mm & .40 S&W and besides quick reloads the moon clips make collecting spent brass a cinch. No experience with one yet but Ruger also has a revolver offering.

That is not the worst idea suggested at all especially for reloading. Let’s you tinker more with loads and easy brass cleanup.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The obvious answer is buy both. LOL I have a 1911 and a Sig 220 in 10mm and love them both. Had a Glock 20 a few years back--it ran great and handled 10mm well, turns out I'm just not a Glock fan. YMMV

10mm is a fun cartridge. You'll enjoy it whichever you choose.

Posts: 45 | Registered: June 28, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Badhammer:

I have the Wiley Clapp GP100 in 10mm and I love it.

Ruger says that you can shoot .40 through it but that it’s not reliable. I found this to be true with the factory moon clips, but I always buy TK Customs moon clips anyway and they make some for shooting .40 through the Ruger and so far it’s been 100% with those.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
If you were only going to have one 10mm handgun, the STI Perfect 10 would be it.

Then you can add the G40, P220, Kimber Custom Eclipse...

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
Say no to plastic 10mm's. The long slide 1911 is a Fusion Hunter model and then the smooth shooting Sig 220 in 10mm.

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
I am a fan of both the 10MM Auto and the 10MM Magnum

Mostly I am not a plastic fan. The SIG P220 is a VERY Fine choice for this cartridge.

I am also a HUGE 1911 fan. I built this one about three Summers ago when a regular at the local range showed up with he new Glock 40 and proclaimed he had the Hammer of THOR

I could not let a 40S&W be called THOR's Hammer

Esmeralda O'Sheehan did the scrimshaw on the grips

Now you could go with a revolver for 10MM. A quick reamer through the cylinder and you would have a gun that would shoot both 10MM Auto and 10MM Magnum and even 40S&W

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5176 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JMag:
I’d go 1911 in 10mm.

So would I. And, in fact, I did Big Grin

It's a shooter, too!

I've run full load Underwood hard cast through it. Ran like a clock and was incredibly pleasant to shoot.

Yeah, 1911--definitely Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
P220. All steel. Best ever. I also own a 610.

Posts: 146 | Registered: August 31, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired old fat motor cop
posted Hide Post
I like my 1076

" Life is full of choices', Choices have consequences."

Posts: 698 | Location: New England | Registered: October 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I want a 4 inch 10mm Ruger Blackhawk with an extra .40 cylinder. But prices are through the roof if you can find one.
If I go 10mm auto pistol again, it will be a 220 or Ruger SR 1911. Already have holsters for them!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post