SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Why no alloy Sig 1911 commander?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why no alloy Sig 1911 commander? Login/Join 
Picture of mrtuna
posted
I don't understand why Sig doesn't make a 4-4.25" barrel alloy 1911 for carry. Am I missing a model? I can't afford a Dan Wesson right now and really want a reliable 30oz 1911 for carry.

Training as often as possible!
NSSF Media Member

Posts: 1577 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: May 31, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BoehT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrtuna:
I don't understand why Sig doesn't make a 4-4.25" barrel alloy 1911 for carry. Am I missing a model? I can't afford a Dan Wesson right now and really want a reliable 30oz 1911 for carry.

I'm pretty sure the C3 was a commander length slide with officer alloy frame, as well as the RCS

-Bo

Posts: 548 | Location: Allen, TX | Registered: December 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
BoehT is correct. I know it's a pitiful 1st post.

Posts: 66 | Location: Boca Raton FL | Registered: April 13, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mrtuna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BoehT:
quote:
Originally posted by mrtuna:

I'm pretty sure the C3 was a commander length slide with officer alloy frame, as well as the RCS

Thanks, I will see if they are still on the sig website. They are always taking guns off the site lol.

NSSF Media Member

Posts: 1577 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: May 31, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 350zee
posted Hide Post
The C3 doesn't have a fully supported barrel. A lot of people says not having a fully supported barrel with an alloy frame 1911 accelerates wear on the frame.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
***My Idea Of Gun Control Is A Firm Grip!!!***-------***NRA Life Member***----------

Posts: 1311 | Location: Everett, WA. | Registered: December 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the forum !
quote:
Originally posted by ronin11:
BoehT is correct. I know it's a pitiful 1st post.

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a C3. It's the Sig version of the CCO, which is the officer length frame and a commander length slide. A true CCO is 4.25" on the barrel, and I think Sig is 4.0 so not quite a true CCO. It's an alloy frame, lightweight, pleasant to carry and shoot. I'd have to go look, but I believe it's got a squared off slide rather than rounded, and I think mine has an external extractor

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 350zee:
The C3 doesn't have a fully supported barrel. A lot of people says not having a fully supported barrel with an alloy frame 1911 accelerates wear on the frame.

I guess I'm not following this. How is it not 'fully supported'?

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
quote:

I think he means unramped barrel.

For ME:
DA/SA= Sig 9mm
Striker fired= Glock 9mm
If it's a .45= 1911
Suppressed= HK in .45
I like anything in 10mm

Posts: 1442 | Location: VA | Registered: July 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zdog16:
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
quote:

I think he means unramped barrel.

Ah, that makes more sense.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aluminum alloys used in firearms are extremely tough alloys. A few decades ago, Mas Ayoob did a 5,000 round test on an alloy LW Cmdr using factory ammo. None the worse for wear...pun intended.

My Series '80 Colt LW Cmdr has had thousands of rounds through it since I purchased it in the late 1980's. Was my EDC for 10 years. Don't have a specific round count. The ramp area doesn't look any different than my steel frame 1911's/Cmdr's.

Overall, there may be more stress on the frame and components though. Not because of the alloy itself, but because of the increased recoil due to the lighter weight. Basic physics.

Finally, the alloy frame ramp is much harder than a lead or copper jacketed bullet.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mrtuna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nipper:
Aluminum alloys used in firearms are extremely tough alloys. A few decades ago, Mas Ayoob did a 5,000 round test on an alloy LW Cmdr using factory ammo. None the worse for wear...pun intended.

My Series '80 Colt LW Cmdr has had thousands of rounds through it since I purchased it in the late 1980's. Was my EDC for 10 years. Don't have a specific round count. The ramp area doesn't look any different than my steel frame 1911's/Cmdr's.

Overall, there may be more stress on the frame and components though. Not because of the alloy itself, but because of the increased recoil due to the lighter weight. Basic physics.

Finally, the alloy frame ramp is much harder than a lead or copper jacketed bullet.

As long as the finish doesn't come off in 100 rounds like a Kimber Big Grin and it cycles.

NSSF Media Member

posted Hide Post
Actually, I solved that problem with my Colt Cmdr. Bead blasted the frame. The frame finish was slowly disappearing on the Colt as well.

I have no idea if the frame was anodized or some another process was used back then. Had that and other work by Austin Behlert in the late 1980's. He actually suggested the bead blast. Bruce Gray worked for Behlert for a couple of years sometime later.

It's an old school gun. Behlert did all the work. Match barrel bushing, flared ejection port, frame finish, reblue slide (matte & gloss), King sights.

I added the flat MSH and Wilson grip safety later. Also did the trigger work. It's a very nice SD gun. Nothing fancy...all business.

The original gun was one of my better finds. Sales guy said it didn't have 50 rounds through it. It was essentially a new gun for a used price. Prior owner said it recoiled too much. Poor baby. Smile

No, it's not a Wilson. Only the grips.

Pardon the poor pic:

[IMG:left] [/IMG][/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's a pic of my Sig RCS 1911...an alloy Officer's Model grip length with a match grade 4" barrel. They're still available on GB if you watch. Great gun and my choice for 'go to town' carry. Rod

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 727 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mrtuna
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I wish the had a lightweight fastback like the Nightmare carry.

NSSF Media Member

posted Hide Post
Consider the new-ish Colt Light-weight Commander in 9mm. Really nice. Good barrel twist. Absolutely standard insides so enhancements will not result in a surprise. [Always put no more than two rounds in first mag. after changes!] Sight cuts are common. The funny looking nested recoil springs do seem to smooth recoil. [Hint: I loosely wrap a cable tie around the slide and the springs when putting back together - saves things departing for parts unknown - and then remove tie when slide is almost home.]

Mac in Michigan

Posts: 504 | Location: Below the Bridge in Michigan | Registered: July 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post