SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    S&W Shield 9...who else has been converted...
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

S&W Shield 9...who else has been converted... Login/Join 
Picture of gatopescado
posted Hide Post
I just picked up a Shield in .40, The price is awesome right now with the rebate. I got the .40 because my duty gun is a .40 so it makes it easy as far as ammo is concerned.

Posts: 994 | Location: South Texas | Registered: August 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
And this, too,
shall pass away
Picture of Drifting Fate
posted Hide Post
Have two 9mm's - Mr. & Mrs. editions.

It wasn't meant to be that way, but my lovely bride absconded with the first one and I like it so much as to buy myself another one.

Posts: 3679 | Location: AZ | Registered: June 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought one when I discovered the low prices and $75.00 rebate. This is the first striker fired gun I've owned since 1997 when I bought a Glock 27.

So I took it to the range and ran 250 rnds of various manufacture ammo including two defense rnds. All rnds fired and ejected flawlessly. I agree with other's accounts as to how well this small gun shoots! It does shoot as comfortably as a large or medium sized pistol.

I shot approx 100 rnds one-handed at 5 and 7 yards and it was very easy to land them within 2 to 3 inches.

I bought a Vedder IWB holster and that, with the less than 1 inch width of the Shield, makes carrying it super easy.

Now for the only bad; The front sight was not drifted to the center. I brought it to my local FFL and two brass punches failed to budge it so off the S&W to center it. As a CCW, I'm glad the only problem is the sight.

Posts: 1396 | Location: King of Prussia PA | Registered: September 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rifmon:
Now for the only bad; The front sight was not drifted to the center. I brought it to my local FFL and two brass punches failed to budge it so off the S&W to center it. As a CCW, I'm glad the only problem is the sight.

Along with my other concerns previously mentioned, I noticed this too on mine and mentioned it in the letter I included with my 9mm Shield sent to S&W for service. The front sight was not drastically out of center alignment in the slide cutout on mine but it was visibly to the right which would likely account for why while it shot excellent groups, it grouped a bit to the left of the bullseye, even at 7 yards, and even with being extra careful to make sure I was not pushing the pistol in that direction when pulling the trigger.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
I bought my 1st Shield a couple of years ago and it's been amazingly reliable and accurate. I live in MA so I had to put the APEX Carry Kit in to get the trigger right (We get 10-12# triggers).

Well, a guy on our local gun forum was selling his wife's shield with the APEX already done and only 100 rounds through it for only $300 so I picked up the second Shield to use as a range/practice gun. It is just as good as my 1st Shield.

These are great little guns, priced right and I have mine under a t-shirt and you'd never guess it was there unless I told you.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: yanici,

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2401 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have two shields. I found that they shoot different ammo to different right and left points of impact. Also the front sight is tight as another mentioned.

My first shield had to be returned to factory because of too tight front sight. It was returned with new front sight that shoots where I wanted it to shoot, so I never found out if I could move front sight.

Second shield I recently purchased from PSA on rebate sale. It shoots federal american eagle ball to sight setting. But my carry ammo, also federal, the 9bp classic shoots to the left. I have not tried to move the front sight on this second shield but suspect a trip to factory will be required.

davemercer

Posts: 936 | Location: NE USA | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
Mine was shooting two different FMJ rounds in 115gr and 124gr, as well as my intended carry round (124gr Federal HST) a bit left so it was definitely the front sight.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dtech:
quote:
Originally posted by rifmon:

Along with my other concerns previously mentioned, I noticed this too on mine and mentioned it in the letter I included with my 9mm Shield sent to S&W for service. The front sight was not drastically out of center alignment in the slide cutout on mine but it was visibly to the right which would likely account for why while it shot excellent groups, it grouped a bit to the left of the bullseye, even at 7 yards, and even with being extra careful to make sure I was not pushing the pistol in that direction when pulling the trigger.

Exactly! I was getting really excellent groups at 5 and 7 yards but an inch to the left. And I was also concentrated on my trigger control.

I already have the Fed Ex label from S&W. In fact I've had it for a couple of weeks by now. I can't seem to get to the shipping cent but I intend to this week. I just hope it doesn't take the 4 to 6 weeks to get it back as I was told by the rep!

Just want to mention my experience I had today carrying it. I usually carry my LCP in a pocket holster while working. Today I decided to carry my Shield in my new Vedder IWB holster. I worked outside in 90 plus degrees pouring sweet. I fully expected to find my Shield kinda disgusting by 5:30. I took the holster off and gun out and it was bone dry! I know, it's Kydex what would you expect? Well it is my first ever Kydex so it was a pleasant surprise for me.

It was very comfortable too.

Posts: 1396 | Location: King of Prussia PA | Registered: September 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
I knocked my two Shield rear sights just a smidgen to the right and they are now right on.

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2401 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't say converted, I edc a compact size gun but the shiled has replaced my 938 and is my deep concealment option when wearing a suit. It has been a great purchase (rebate that I'm still waiting on) and surprised how much I like the gun.

Dead on accurate, really easy to shoot. To me it's a lot like shooting my 239 which is excellent but a much lighter option. I certainly can see how it can be an great edc option for those who do.

Posts: 178 | Registered: May 16, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really like the 9 Shield. However I Love the 45 Shield. It shoots softer and more accurately with faster follow up shots.

Let God sort them out.

Posts: 7 | Registered: September 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My son bought one several months ago I was impressed and bought my wife one with the rebate... just couldn't pass it up... great little pistols and both have been 100%

Posts: 13 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought one because of the rebate but ended up loving it. I won't say I like it better than my 938 but I surely wouldn't mind losing it to theft or the evidence locker nearly as bad. My copy has a great trigger and feels great in hand. I'm not the most accurate shooter but it is definitely minute of bad guy....

Posts: 193 | Registered: February 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
I finally saw my rebate logged on the Milano rebate website. I submitted it electronically by the June 30 end date. Nothing on Milano site till I noticed today. I had given up actually.

Now I need to stay peeled for the non-descript envelope containing the rebate.

HK Ag

Posts: 3495 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I liked almost everything about it. But I seemed to need a trigger stop. A lot of overtravel and then a jolting stop.

Posts: 1071 | Location: Cary NC | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have two in 9mm. One with a safety and one without. I carry the one with a safety in my pocket. I haven't touched the other one at all.

Posts: 1393 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HK Ag:
I finally saw my rebate logged on the Milano rebate website. I submitted it electronically by the June 30 end date. Nothing on Milano site till I noticed today. I had given up actually.

Now I need to stay peeled for the non-descript envelope containing the rebate.

HK Ag

Just a heads up but mine didn't come in an envelope. It was a 4" x 5" folded check with the fold and tear strips on two sides - if that makes sense. I very nearly tossed mine in the junk mail pile.

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a Shield 9mm with safety (no option) on impulse. Never handled one, but Brownell had a great price and the $75 rebate deadline was a few days away.

First, I don't like safeties on carry guns, but have carried Sigs 238 and 938. My experience with MP safeties is scary. My full size MP 9 had one that the wind could move. Fortunately, the MP 9 had a user removable one. Done.

I love how well it fits my small hands. Recoil is moderate, reliability with three brands of FMJ and also Federal LE HST 124 gr has been 100%, probably 500 round now. Extremely accurate. One of the best out of the box triggers ever. Really no NEED for the Apex kit.

While the gun was $249 net after FFL fees, I haven't saved anything because I started upgrading and customizing. So far, I'm out $763 (including gun).

Talon grip tape $17.99
Badger Concealment IWB holster $27.99
generic Kydex pocket holster $25.86
stainless steel guiderod assembly $39.95
Apex Duty/Carry kit with flat trigger $151
5 eight round mags $74.95
Trijicon HD sghts $150
pinkie grip extender for 7 round mag $5

All prices delivered. I dream of a Robar NP3 coat or a cerakote job. My cheap gun could hit $1,000

Posts: 1931 | Location: S.E. Michigan/Macomb County | Registered: October 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nearly forgot

The safety

Very very small. Too small for use 100% of the time in an EDC. Its very stiff. A good thing.

It is very handy to use when doing any administrative handling. When I lock it in a Nano Vault, on goes the safety. If I put it away at bedtime, in favor of my Walther PPQ with WML, I'll use it. Useful at the range when I want to load in 8+1. Lastly, when I go get a massage, I can leave it under a pile of clothes, safety on, and have no worries about curiosity or a drop.

Posts: 1931 | Location: S.E. Michigan/Macomb County | Registered: October 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
Has anyone gotten their rebate? I haven't yet

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post