SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    S&W Shield 9...who else has been converted...
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

S&W Shield 9...who else has been converted... Login/Join 
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Who has the Shield listed for $225?

I assume that is net of $75 rebate?

Thanks,

HK Ag

Posts: 3495 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kilyung:
The Shield40 is my winter EDC and one of my favorite guns

Who did the coating on the slide...it looks awesome!

Posts: 1957 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just bit on PSA's deal for the 9mm shield. After rebate it will be $199.99 + FFL. Tried to pass it up, but just could not resist. Im not even a huge fan of the shield. Have shot a friends .40 but was only meh. But this is just a stupid cheap deal, so why not give it a try.

It's all about clean living. Just do the right thing, and karma will help with the rest.

Posts: 1106 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just bought mine through Palmetto State Armory for $275 shipped which makes it $200 after rebate. I'm lucky enough to have a buddy to do my transfers. I've carried a Kahr PM9 for several years but want to give the Shield a go. Gunbuyer had the Shield for $224 after rebate plus two extra mags but with the rebate ending I didn't want to wait.

For $199 thru PSA it is just a crazy good deal. I keep thinking of the people I know that bought Hi Points for $150 against my urging. I've always said that with a bit of searching and an extra $100 you can get a gun that is many times better.

quote:
Originally posted by HK Ag:
Who has the Shield listed for $225?

I assume that is net of $75 rebate?

Thanks,

HK Ag

Posts: 715 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: December 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcjwriter:
quote:
Originally posted by kilyung:
The Shield40 is my winter EDC and one of my favorite guns

Who did the coating on the slide...it looks awesome!

My LGS' gunsmith did the burnt bronze ceracote - matched it to a Sig burnt bronze. Did a great job.

Posts: 282 | Registered: March 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's my way or the Highway
Picture of piedrarc
posted Hide Post
I have the worst luck with S&W 9mm auto's.

My Shield has been 100% and I'll carry it when the M&P 9c just absolutely won't fit what I'm wearing which is rare. Couple of months ago I was getting some practice in with the Shield 9 and I just happen to inspect the brass and it was bulging the brass near the rim. Similar to an unsupported chamber, off to S&W and they replaced the barrel. This gun is very manageable at 25 yards and accuracy is outstanding.
I have an Ameriglo front sight / 10-8 rear and Apex duty carry kit. I usually carry it IWB with the 7 round mag and the 8 rounder in the Taliban mag pouch.

Great little pistol.

Semper Fidelis

RIP 17843

Operation Specific Training

Bang, bang, Click

Posts: 4911 | Location: surrounded by liberals. | Registered: September 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've owned 3 and sold or traded all three. I really want to like this gun but I don't shoot them well. I think the hinged trigger throws me off.

They're so cheap right now I may pick up another one and try and Apex trigger in it.

Posts: 166 | Registered: February 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
I couldn't pass up the rebate either and picked up my 9mm Shield last week. I took it to the range yesterday and I absolutely love how accurate it is and how easy it is on your hand to shoot for such a compact pistol. I will without a doubt say that it is the most comfortable to shoot polymer frame single stack compact 9mm pistol I have ever shot, and I've shot a few from different manufacturers. It feels like a much bigger gun when it comes to recoil, and overall performance, while being a nice, slim package with very good sights and a good trigger break.

The only problem is I ran across a couple of concerns that have prompted me to call S&W tomorrow. First, I had three instances where when shooting I went to pull the trigger and got a click instead of a boom. The slide also moved forward slightly each time this happened after pulling the trigger and pulling the trigger again did not allow the gun to fire either. I tried purposely keeping the unloaded gun slightly out of battery and pulling the trigger. While the slide behaved similarly to the live fire malfunctions, I was able to pull the trigger a second time and have it dry fire. The pistol was clean and lubricated and one of the malfunctions happened in the last few rounds before ending the range session (about 150 rounds). Seems like there is an intermittent situation occurring while firing that is somehow causing the striker not to cock while leaving the slide slightly out of battery.

Another thing I noticed was that when I first checked the pull on mine when I first got it, it was right at a consistent 6.5 lbs. Now, after the range session and with being cleaned and lubed, the trigger is registering between 7.25 and 7.5 lbs even though the trigger break still feels crisp and predictable. I've never had a pistol before where the trigger pull has increased with use so this was another bit of a red flag that there may be something wrong with the trigger bar and/or sear related parts. I've seen the videos and posts about trigger overtravel and other issues but I don't want to do anything myself that they might void the warranty for so we will see what they say.

I still really like every aspect of the Shield and it goes nicely with my M2.0 9mm so I just want it sorted out under warranty and 100% reliable.

On a final note, it is a little disappointing that in recent years, I've had to return more guns for service from a variety of manufacturers that were new or relatively new for functioning and quality issues, than in the prior 20 years combined.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dtech,

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
I too just bit on the PSA weekend deal. However the price I saw was $319 down from regular $379, before the $75 rebate.

Perhaps I missed the $275 price somewhere.

Looking forward to trying this out.

HK Ag

Posts: 3495 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
Mine says M&P 45 Shield on it.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
HK Ag.... You need to enter the code "SHIELD" in the Palmetto State checkout to get the further price discount and free shipping. Give PSA a call tomorrow. They should be able to fix it for you or cancel the existing order and place a new one with the coupon code. Personally, I would just place a second order to make sure it went through with the coupon code this evening and then just call them and cancel the first order tomorrow morning.

-Dtech

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Thank you Dtech, I will call them tomorrow. Hope they will help me out! Thanks I missed that code even though it was right in front of me. Was moving too fast!

HK Ag

Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
Glad to help you save some money. Smile

PSA typically takes a little time to process gun orders so it shouldn't be an issue either way.

-Dtech

Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Spoke to "Greg" and he issued me a Credit for the $45 delta.

He commented I wasn't the only one to make this error.

PSA continues to win my business, as the Boss here once said "..they will gitcha, gitcha gitcha, one way or another..."

HK Ag

posted Hide Post
What has been the current turnaround time at PSA to ship a gun?

Posts: 715 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: December 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tango Sierra
posted Hide Post
A 9mm Performance Center Shield has been my CCW gun for the last 18 months. I bought a Springfield XD-S at the same time and ran both several times in IDPA matches and the Shield has been flawless. Not so with the XD-S so the Shield is my permanent carry piece.

Posts: 4123 | Location: Rural North Central Illinois | Registered: November 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peanut71:

In my experience 3 to 5 days but they state 7-10 days on their website in the FAQ.

Well, my 9mm no manual safety Shield is on it's way back to S&W for service after chatting with them and them sending me a prepaid label for the return. Let's see how long they take and what the outcome is. I provided them a detailed description of what was occurring as mentioned above.

-Dtech

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dtech:
quote:
Originally posted by Peanut71:

In my experience 3 to 5 days but they state 7-10 days on their website in the FAQ.

Well, my 9mm no manual safety Shield is on it's way back to S&W for service after chatting with them and them sending me a prepaid label for the return. Let's see how long they take and what the outcome is. I provided them a detailed description of what was occurring as mentioned above.

Bought mine on the 6/24 and shipped out today. Good job on them, nowhere nearly as long as I have waited before.

ETA: My extra mags ordered on same day, shipped also. Looks like they have turned over a new leaf.

It's all about clean living. Just do the right thing, and karma will help with the rest.

Posts: 1106 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
I got in on the Shield deal at PSA, bought a .45 to use as a ccw gun. I'm really happy with it so far.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Smga.com also has a pretty good deal on shields.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post