SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    S&W Shield 9...who else has been converted...
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

S&W Shield 9...who else has been converted... Login/Join 
Picture of bcjwriter
posted
So several years ago I bought a S&W Shield on a whim. It was on sale so I figured why not...I bought a G43 as well...but I let that go. The Shield is just better for me.

Since then it has become my favorite CCW. It shoots like a much bigger gun, carries well IWB, and is plenty accurate. I even carry this at the desk on duty.

I personally think this is the finest pistol S&W has put out. I may even buy a second one. I also heard it was the #1 selling gun in the US for 2016.

Anyone else love the Shield...

Posts: 1957 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah they are nice.

For ME:
DA/SA= Sig 9mm
Striker fired= Glock 9mm
If it's a .45= 1911
Suppressed= HK in .45
I like anything in 10mm

Posts: 1442 | Location: VA | Registered: July 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
Yep. I've been carrying one for about a year. Just added the Apex trigger & sear and now I like it even more.

Posts: 11506 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
I tried to like them but failed. I've owned 2 different Shield's over the past few years and couldn't get into either one of them. One had the manual safety, the other didn't.

They were 100% reliable, but couldn't shoot decent groups with either one and I went through a bunch of different ammo types and weights.

In the end I still carry a Baby Kahr or even a J Frame from time to time....

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You dig
Picture of evolution
posted Hide Post
Yep, Shieldnis a great gun. I really love its feel, and look, with extended magazines.

Recoil is very manageable and the gun is very accurate.

The new aM&P 2.0 is pretty awesome also.

Posts: 2602 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Happy with mine.
Shoots and carrys well.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Shield40 is my winter EDC and one of my favorite guns

Posts: 282 | Registered: March 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Shield9 is also a great gun

Posts: 282 | Registered: March 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently attend a basic handgun class and at least 50% of the people who were in that class had a Shield 9mm.

Posts: 929 | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Deputy 617
posted Hide Post
I bought a Shield 9mm when they first came out, and have since traded it away. It was a very nice pistol that was accurate, reliable, and very concealable. I just wanted something more at the time.

Oddly enough, my wife recently saw the $75.00 rebate for the Shield that is currently being offered. She told me I could buy another one if I wanted to.

Well, I hope good things come to those who wait because I decided not to replace mine for now, and bought a swimming pool for my kids instead. I'd say that's a good trade off. Perhaps some day a deal will fall in my lap as a result. I dunno.

Regardless... The M&P Shield is an excellent pistol, and one that I should have kept hold of.

SIG SAUER...... Get you some!

Posts: 369 | Location: Kansas City | Registered: July 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Recently purchased a Shield 45 and had the Apex duty/carry trigger installed. Very pleased so far. Looked at the Shield 9 a few years ago but already have a 9c so never made that move. The 45 looked nice figured I would give it a try and the $75 rebate made it even more attractive.

Posts: 32 | Location: S.E. Ma. | Registered: October 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Picked one up recently after renting one at the range. I was really impressed with it and with the $75 off it was hard to beat. I'll probably swap out the sights for some XS big dots and just keep shooting it a bunch Big Grin

Posts: 116 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: April 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted Hide Post
Had one for years. Pocket carried it daily until a few weeks ago, when I went back to a SIG P238, which just fits better in a pocket.

I think it's a fantastic subcompact, single-stack 9. I find it's better in most ways (except overall size) than the Glock 43.

Posts: 2438 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I prefer the M&P Compact myself. Not much bigger than the Shield, better Ergo's, IMHO...

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I would have tried it more seriously if it didn't have manual safety.

Buy the time S&W came out with a no-safety model, I was happen with my Walter PPS 9MM.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a fan, I've carried one for the past 4 years. S&W got a lot right with it and it's a ridiculously good deal with the rebate.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Ordered a no safety 9 yesterday. $225 delivered was too good to pass up.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tuesday was gone when I told her my name is the breeze.
posted Hide Post
I have had a shield for 5 years.

I have 3,one in each truck,and one i ccw in church,etc.

I have had a bunch of neck fusions,and cannot take any recoil.I tried 20 to 30 guns over the years.just about every high end 9mm gun made,i owned.Hk,sw,sig,cz,pointman.

All of those ere nice guns,but when i shot the shield,i could not believe how soft and gentle it felt.My sons also agreed.

The sheild is the best gun sw has made in years.the pos m&p series will be gone in a couple years.I went through 12 m&p guns,along with my 2 neighbors,who are state patrolman.They could not get any love for the mp in 9 or 40.

But the shield is a different story.I talked with the head engineer at sw about the shield for an hour.The gun has SHORT LIGHT SLIDE.DUAL RECOIL SPRINGS.PERFECT 8 ROUND GRIP.

and for 225 you cant go wrong.The shield being so good makes up for the mp being so bad.

Posts: 1796 | Location:  | Registered: November 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Shields are great. So are all of the other singlestackpolywonderwannabe 9s. They do a superlative job at reinforcing the reasons WHY I instead carry a compact Glock G23.

I've tried to like and believe in these subcomp guns. My safes contain a number of them, though no Shield. Shot various examples a handful of times though, tempted but never bought. Yet alas, I have no problem carrying a G19 or G23 and I do vehemently prefer the mag cap that either of those two bring to the table.

Sure I admit that the skinny tykes are marginally more physically comfortable to carry, but it's the comfort to the mind that forever rules my destiny. Nothing does it quite like ample quantities of firepower, without the need for frequent reloading.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
The Shield I currently own is terribly inaccurate.
At 7 yards using a two handed hold with careful trigger control, 6" groups are the norm.
If the groups were consistent, like low left or high right, I would think I was the problem.
But one shot will go one direction and the next totally opposite, there is no consistency.
The only other polymer pistols I have owned that were as equally inaccurate were an early XD-9 and XD-45 prior to their "match" barrel series and I dumped them years ago.

In contrast, when using a Glock 43 (which I don't own) a SIG P-938, SIG P-320, Glock 26 or Kel-Tec P32, I can rattle off an entire mag as fast as I can pull the trigger at that distance and get better groups.
As much as I was once a Glock "hater" and still dislike a majority of them, I ended up with a Glock 26 as a primary carry weapon.
The 26 also conceals/carries better on my physical frame (5'10", 156 lbs, snake hips).

I had considered selling the Shield but the recent price drop would only get me pennies on the dollar.
Perhaps a trip back to S&W for warranty work is required.

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post