SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Glock Gen 5/Gen 3 parts compatibility question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock Gen 5/Gen 3 parts compatibility question Login/Join 
posted
I am behind enemy lines in California, and am interested in trying the new Gen 5 Glock. I can buy an 80% Glock 19 lower and install parts into it. However when I check the Polymer80 website, it says their Glock kit lower is only compatible with Gen 3 Glocks.

Does anyone know what Gen 5 parts would not fit? My initial plan is to buy a slide assembly and all the internal parts from a Gen 5.

-c1steve

Posts: 4038 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:

Does anyone know what Gen 5 parts would not fit?

Most of them. There are only a few parts in the new 5s that are compatible with anything else. Right off the bat you'd run into a gen5 locking block not working in a gen3 frame, and that's just for starters. You'd need to find a gen5 compatible frame for what you'd want to do.

Posts: 1485 | Location: Kansas City  | Registered: June 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gen 5 and Gen 3 share nothing in common. The Gen 5 used all coil springs in place of the leaf springs and the trigger bar spring. Locking Glock is 2 pins for the Gen 5 and 3 for the Gen 3. You will have to use Gen 3 lower parts.

Posts: 33 | Registered: August 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
I had never thought about it but my guess is there would be a lot of fiddlin' going on to get parts to fit into spaces they were never designed for.

You might as well embrace the Gen 3 rather than fight parts that weren't designed for that frame. You wouldn't be able to use the mag catch, barrel, slide release, RSA, etc., etc.

(Alp & Scope beat by >this< much)

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
You can see the difference here. Gen 5 will only work on a Gen 5 frame. They changed how it locks up.

Posts: 7387 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Looking at aftermarket triggers, they clearly state Gen 5 only works in Gen 5 and there is no Gen 5 - Gen 3/4 compatibility

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Looking at aftermarket triggers, they clearly state Gen 5 only works in Gen 5 and there is no Gen 5 - Gen 3/4 compatibility

I put a ghost trigger in my Gen 5 19. Works fine. Its one I've had laying around for a year or two.

Posts: 7387 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walker77:
quote:

I put a ghost trigger in my Gen 5 19. Works fine. Its one I've had laying around for a year or two.
Hmmm, just the trigger or the trigger assembly? Apex states you can't swap the two, but I might have misread it.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by walker77:
quote:

Hmmm, just the trigger or the trigger assembly? Apex states you can't swap the two, but I might have misread it.

I took it he was referring to Ghost Connector not trigger. AFAIK, Ghost does not offer a "trigger"

And yes, the connectors are the same in version Gen 1 - 5 Glocks according to Ghost's website. I put an Edge connector in my Gen 5 for awhile, but replaced it with a Glock "-" connector because the Ghost Edge reduced the trigger pull lower than I wanted. The "-" clocks in at between 4.75 and 5 lbs, whereas the Edge was closer to 4 lbs.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was thinking of putting an entire slide assembly plus the small parts on a Polymer80, which is Gen 3. Looks like this plan will not work. Probably better to eventually buy a Glock Gen 5 from someone who is moving into the state. They can bring whatever they want.

Of course, with the Supreme Court starting to lean to the side of freedom, before long I may be able to buy any brand I want. Hopefully Ginsburg will keel over dead before much longer.

-c1steve

Posts: 4038 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
I was thinking of putting an entire slide assembly plus the small parts on a Polymer80, which is Gen 3. Looks like this plan will not work. Probably better to eventually buy a Glock Gen 5 from someone who is moving into the state. They can bring whatever they want.

Of course, with the Supreme Court starting to lean to the side of freedom, before long I may be able to buy any brand I want. Hopefully Ginsburg will keel over dead before much longer.

You do realize that the Supreme Court has almost zero bearings on your gun rights in CA. I’m from CA as well. Nothing federally will help us here. This state has a mind of its own.

Posts: 33 | Registered: August 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was over at the Glock factory the other day and the Armorer said the only gen3/gen5 parts that are interchangeable are the firing pin/striker channel liner and the spring cups.

Posts: 266 | Location: South Florida  | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post