SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Opinion on Hi-Point- yes, I'm serious
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinion on Hi-Point- yes, I'm serious Login/Join 
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Here is a review of a Hi Point pistol. Certainly not something I could ever recommend to someone. When one can get M&P Shield and SD9 for low $200 range after rebate something like a Hi Point pistol makes no sense.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.c...point-c9-9mm-pistol/

RATINGS (out of five)

Style * * *
You don’t buy a Hi-Point for its looks. It performs its job of looking “workhorsish” flawlessly.

Ergonomics (carry) *
For a “small” pistol (3.5″ barrel), the C9 has a profile exceeding full-size handguns. I’m not quite sure why you’d try to carry the C9 given it’s size and relative round capacity.

Ergonomics (firing) *
No. Without consciously avoiding anything approaching a high hand grip, expect to experience at least one “bite” from the C9. With all of the weight in the slide, and nothing in the frame, this 9mm “snaps” more than a typical .45.

Reliability nil
I could not make this gun go bang every time. That is my one gateway requirement to reliability. When I pull the trigger, it must go boom. When it goes boom, it must consistently be ready to go boom again. The fact that misfeeds and jams were the norm and not the fluke leads to my first ever “zero” rating.

Customizability * 1/2
Two points for the optional ghost ring sights

Overall Rating * 1/2
Even at $155 MSRP, a pistol that does not go bang every time is not to be considered affordable. Or useful. In certain scenarios, the Hi-Point could get its owner into deeper trouble than if he or she didn’t have a gun.

Conclusion
I would not buy a Hi-Point C9 on a bet, but I may end up getting stuck with one. Their PR peeps haven’t told me how to return the pistol.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The beater car analogy is not on point. The reason beater cars are a good thing is that every month that you drive that beater car it is basically making you money. Hard cash on the table, or hood in this case. Cars, even inexpensive ones, cost a small or large bundle. Every month that you avoid a car payment you are savings hundreds and perhaps more a month. Also factor in the fact that you only carry liability insurance on it is even more cash in your pocket.

A firearm isn't even remotely similar. You pay once up front and there are basically zero costs going forward (unlike gas, your 7-15 rounds never need to be replaced unless you use them). So the real question is does a 99 dollar gun that works but has to be hammered apart, weighs a ton, and basically sucks and will always suck outweigh finding a police trade in anything for three times that amount? So far, other than you, no one in this thread thinks so.

Put me in the camp of no way. Just because it works doesn't complete the checklist for me. I can buy cheap guns that do. Probably not 99 dollars cheap but cheap enough.

Posts: 7473 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Shot the C9 many years ago; put 50rds through it, went bang each time. Surprisingly accurate with it. But nasty ergonomics, mushy trigger, PITA to field strip, way too big for anything but a dirt cheap 'truck' gun role. A gun that size should hold more than eight rounds in its magazine. And of course it's fugly as sin.

I have the 9mm carbine as well; very decent shooter. It's almost as fugly, a pain to take down and limited on mag capacity like the pistol, but it works and is quite accurate, too.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Hi-Point handguns are what you buy if you don't have money for a better one. Nothing else. They aren't even aimed (pardon the pun) at firearms enthusiasts like us.

I've never shot any of their handguns, but did shoot a 9mm carbine, of the old style. Sure, it fell out of the ugly tree, hit every limb going down and landed in a cow pie, but it put the bullets where I aimed them with no stoppages.

Posts: 27956 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
If you buy a Hi-Point we will unfriend you on the Gangsta Forum and remove you from our Christmas mailing list.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
On more than one occasion I've paid four to six times the price of a Hi-Point for a total POS. Price alone is not a guarantor of quality.

Posts: 27956 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fla. Jim:

Ps I do own the 9mm carbine and am well satisfied with it.

Thanks for the link. Hickok pretty much talked me down from the ledge. For $99 (with a Kershaw knife!) I was very tempted to pick one up. I can handle ugly and large, if it actually works. It does seem like they are pretty reliable once broken in, but watching Hickok struggle with that slide convinced me that I don't need that aggravation.

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
I purchased a Hi-Point for my museum collection. I've never fired it so I can't comment on reliability, accuracy, nor shootability.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi-points are cheap. They're inexpensive with regard to cost, but cheap isn't a word that describes cost. Cheap is not a compliment.

I frequently see people in Walmart open carrying their Hi-point in a floppy black cordura holster, one of the cheap kind bought at a gun show somewhere. The combo speaks volumes about the person carrying the firearm, and nothing in any of those volumes is positive or good. More like posting a sign on their back that says in block letters "Hi. I'm a dumbass."

Hi-points are saturday night specials. They're one of those contradictions to quips about bringing a gun to a knife fight. Might as well bring a bar of soap and a kazoo. The weapon which one carries to a fight may be a requirement of the job, in which case represents the degree about which the employer cares about your life. The weapon which one brings to a fight may be a personal choice, in which case represents the degree about which you value your own life.

The Hi-point is not a high value weapon.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
I have a C9 that I paid $50 used. It works. The only reason I got one was because several years ago it seemed like half of the first steps classes were folks with Hi-Points. I wanted to familiarize myself with the platform.

I do have a 9mm carbine which I actually enjoy shooting.

The biggest con to me is the limited single-stack mags. Otherwise they are reliable.
And their customer service is top-notch.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The One, the Only Mighty Paragon
Picture of Paragon
posted Hide Post
I'd buy it. I had a 45 that I had fun with at the range. Very accurate. Never could take it down because I couldn't get the roll pin out but I liked it well enough.

I would never have trusted my life to it but it was a range toy.

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer

Posts: 12062 | Location: Central FL | Registered: April 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I qualified with a hi-point one yeah for my CHL (now LTC) as kind of a joke. I did have another pistol with me, jik.
The grip is square and uncomfortable, the safety is NOT positioned ergonomically, the slide is too heavy, the frame too light..

But, it made it through all 50 required rounds. And we even passed it around some after class. Not a single misfire, jam or other malfunction.
If I had to have A gun, it would suffice as the definition of a device that law nachos projectiles at some velocity.
But I traded the hi-point off, basically only meaning to "rent it" for the class.

BTW, I have a 9mm carbine, and I have had no issues with it either.

BTW: I called the company one day to ask about cleaning it. I wound up talking to the owner. He told me not to worry about cleaning it, just run a bore snake through it every now & then. He said they had a 995 carbine locked down in a vise and every now then they would just walk by and run 50 rounds or a few magazines or whatever through it, just to kill time.

Posts: 6304 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:
I qualified with a hi-point one yeah for my CHL (now LTC) as kind of a joke. I did have another pistol with me, jik.
The grip is square and uncomfortable, the safety is NOT positioned ergonomically, the slide is too heavy, the frame too light..

But, it made it through all 50 required rounds. And we even passed it around some after class. Not a single misfire, jam or other malfunction.
If I had to have A gun, it would suffice as the definition of a device that law nachos projectiles at some velocity.
But I traded the hi-point off, basically only meaning to "rent it" for the class.

BTW, I have a 9mm carbine, and I have had no issues with it either.

BTW: I called the company one day to ask about cleaning it. I wound up talking to the owner. He told me not to worry about cleaning it, just run a bore snake through it every now & then. He said they had a 995 carbine locked down in a vise and every now then they would just walk by and run 50 rounds or a few magazines or whatever through it, just to kill time.

You were talking to your phone, weren't you?

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
I'm kind of like My Cousin Vinny who said about grits: "I heard of grits. I've just never actually SEEN a grit before. .."

Well, I've heard about Hi-Points, and maybe I've seen one somewhere, but I've never held or shot one before. Cabelas has the Hi-Point C-9, with a knife made by Kershaw, for $99. The knife has to be worth $10, so how god-awful is this gun?

I've seen pictures-they're ugly. But do they actually shoot reliably? $99! What do y'all think?
I don't know about long term durability, but years ago I went to an IDPA match, and a guy on my squad had a brand new Hi-Point .40 cal pistol. He fired around 100 rounds that day without a single failure.

Long story as to how he ended up with that gun, and using it at the match, but I never saw him use it again.

I've test fired a few, to prove they were actual operable firearms, while preparing for trials. They were not nice guns to operate, especially the triggers, but I never had one fail. That being said, like the aforementioned pistol at the match, those did not have a high round count, so I can't speak to how long they would last.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
quote:
You were talking to your phone, weren't you?

No, Airsoft Guy, I TOTALLY meant to type "law nachos". Smile
Let's make "law nachos" the new term for "launches".
It'll really mess with N. Korea when we talk about how Kim Jong just Law Nachoed another missile.
Autocorrect is awesome, isn't it?

Posts: 6304 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMF:

I don't know about long term durability, but years ago I went to an IDPA match, and a guy on my squad had a brand new Hi-Point .40 cal pistol. He fired around 100 rounds that day without a single failure.

But it worked for those 100 rounds. That's more than I got out of a $900 gun that choked on the second shot fired.

With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
Originally posted by DMF:

But it worked for those 100 rounds. That's more than I got out of a $900 gun that choked on the second shot fired.

Take 10 of your 900.00 guns and 10 hi points and see if things change. Everyone can make a gun that works. Ive seen a Lorcin that didnt fumble a round for 2 whole mags. The point is, the chances of a hipoint failing is going to be higher than a tested and proven weapon. Function a new gun that is of questionable lineage for a few hundred rounds doesnt tell the whole story. When I see guys getting upwards of 5k rounds or more through them without any real issues I'll reconsider my position.

AS to those who say its for people who cant afford the Sigs and Hks, I get it. Not everyone wants to or is in the position to fund an 800.00 gun. Take your 99.00 and put it towards a PD trade Glock .40. I dont like Glocks, and .40 even less. Donate plasma, skip coffee, eat rice and beans for a month to come up with the other 250.00 and have a proven gun that will last the average shooter a lifetime and likely never be worth less than what you paid. Anyone who is serious about their personal safety wouldn't even a consider a firearms that is not proven.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
Nobody would ever be caught owning one, but the company has been around a couple of decades. I put a thousand rounds thru one before I sold it. It went bang every time and hit what I pointed it at. There are lots of bad things I can same about cosmetics, ergos, etc, but I have had far more expensive guns that were far less reliable.

I've sold a bunch of hi points and have had people give me good feedback on them as far as reliability goes. Yes, the ergos suck. Yes, it's big clunky and the trigger sucks. I would personally probably save up more and go with a police trade in Glock or something, BUT if you have $99 and need a firearm then get one. Obviously I want my EDC to be completely reliable which I don't think hi points are 100% reliable, but again if I couldn't afford a higher end gun then I would get one because something is better than nothing. If all else fails it's a giant brick and could knock someone out if you chuck it at them.

Posts: 1304 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
I personally have no interest in them but they do seem able to take a beating.

It may prove enlightening to view the the 4 or 5 part series on Youtube by Iraqveteran8888 where he and his pal try to blow up a Hi Point.
I seriously doubt that many other pistols could take that punishment.
They do, however, mention that it is at the top of the heap of "junk guns".

I think the show Stroonz is referring to in his post above is part 3 of the series, where they loaded 11 grains of Bullseye into the case under a 147 grain bullet.
They eventually beat a bolt into the barrel and it still didn't blow up but the barrel bulged.
After getting it working again, part 4 is where they were finally able blow it up.

Part 4

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kskelton:
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
Nobody would ever be caught owning one, but the company has been around a couple of decades. I put a thousand rounds thru one before I sold it. It went bang every time and hit what I pointed it at. There are lots of bad things I can same about cosmetics, ergos, etc, but I have had far more expensive guns that were far less reliable.

I've sold a bunch of hi points and have had people give me good feedback on them as far as reliability goes. Yes, the ergos suck. Yes, it's big clunky and the trigger sucks. I would personally probably save up more and go with a police trade in Glock or something, BUT if you have $99 and need a firearm then get one. Obviously I want my EDC to be completely reliable which I don't think hi points are 100% reliable, but again if I couldn't afford a higher end gun then I would get one because something is better than nothing. If all else fails it's a giant brick and could knock someone out if you chuck it at them.

ditto,

even purchased some used and resold with out issue,

customer service is excellent, only had to use it once on a gun that arrived with a broken rear sight (it's plastic)

as far as a carry gun, no way, like carrying a brick,

truck or house, maybe,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post