SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Opinion on Hi-Point- yes, I'm serious
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinion on Hi-Point- yes, I'm serious Login/Join 
Smarter than the
average bear
posted
I'm kind of like My Cousin Vinny who said about grits: "I heard of grits. I've just never actually SEEN a grit before. .."

Well, I've heard about Hi-Points, and maybe I've seen one somewhere, but I've never held or shot one before. Cabelas has the Hi-Point C-9, with a knife made by Kershaw, for $99. The knife has to be worth $10, so how god-awful is this gun?

I've seen pictures-they're ugly. But do they actually shoot reliably? $99! What do y'all think?

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I have never liked them. However, my advice is to go to any hood and look under the drivers seat of a car. They are often located there, and they never belong to anyone.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
I think Id rather spend 99 on nice knife, or ice cream or dirt, something more valuable than the high point.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
They're heavy unwieldy pieces of shit that function surprisingly well.

Posts: 26905 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I handled a Hi-Point 9mm carbine at my LGS which gets surprisingly good marks from people and I thought it was a decent little carbine for all of 275 bucks.

The iron sights were much better actually than my Kel-Tec Sub2000 carbine.

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
It's the kind of gun you buy when you don't have money, but you really need a gun. I've personally never shot one, or even held one either, but I feel like they have their place. Their carbines are rather popular as well, and not just amongst the bangers and cholos.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted Hide Post
I have shot one. The ergos suck, the trigger is mush and the one I shot had a peep sight...which was strange on a pistol.

It was accurate, meaning it put rounds where I told it to but the poor ergos, trigger, and weird sight took a lot more focus than most other guns at the same range.

Posts: 9018 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Any gun I am going to carry will have enough ammo through it to make me familiar enough to operate it properly and to prove that it is reliable.
The ammo alone will probably be several hundred dollars. Then I'll buy a decent holster for it and spend some more.
I don't get why anybody would consider (unless you are destitute) a cheap gun like that for serious purposes. This reminds me of the threads about driving around on cheap tires.

Posts: 9513 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My only experience with Hi-Point is in having taken one or two off some folks that had no business with a fire arm. If my memory serves me, the first had been stolen and the second had the serial number obliterated. Other than that I am sure they are fine weapons, not.

NRA Benefactor

Posts: 106 | Location: State of Confusion | Registered: July 05, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
I have never liked them. However, my advice is to go to any hood and look under the drivers seat of a car. They are often located there, and they never belong to anyone.

Its funny because its true.

I disabled one to make a demo gun. I found it to be severely overcomplicated to disassemble and seemed to have some "interesting" parts that appeared to be someones poor attempt at reinventing the wheel. The ergos are terrible as everything was massively oversized which, if I had to guess, is from using crap materials/components (you need more plastic/pot metal to do the job of a piece of a smaller piece of quality steel).

Can I use it to shoot? Sure I guess. I shot several hipoints belonging to a friend who just liked picking up a quantity of guns for a cheap price. They functioned reliably and were reasonably accurate. I found it to be an interesting academic exercise but I'd never seriously consider owning one.

I'd instead put my money into a old surplus gun and actually have something of quality that would cost, seriously, about the same. With that being said, much like the baggy pants fad which makes it incredibly hard to run, I'm actually glad bad guys have a niche market.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nobody would ever be caught owning one, but the company has been around a couple of decades. I put a thousand rounds thru one before I sold it. It went bang every time and hit what I pointed it at. There are lots of bad things I can same about cosmetics, ergos, etc, but I have had far more expensive guns that were far less reliable.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A family member bought one as a cheap glove box gun. The actual construction of the gun is a perfect example of what pot metal, mim parts and melted Legos as grips can be made in to. The weight makes a p229 stainless elite feel malnourished. The gun functioned flawless, sights where... there, trigger pull was... crappy, and for a heavy gun recoil was stout. Worst thing CAN NOT DISASSEMBLE! that's right, you have to hammer out a roll pin to remove slide from frame. The gun will work, but so does a geo metro, I don't want to use either.

Posts: 14 | Registered: June 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
They're heavy unwieldy pieces of shit that function surprisingly well.

Yep.

I have a carbine as a barn gun. Goes bang every time. No questions asked warranty.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anubismp:
I'd instead put my money into a old surplus gun and actually have something of quality that would cost, seriously, about the same. With that being said, much like the baggy pants fad which makes it incredibly hard to run, I'm actually glad bad guys have a niche market.

Tell me where I can buy a quality old surplus gun for $99 and I'll definitely go there.

I have plenty of quality firearms, and it's not that I can't afford better. I'm just seriously curious about the reliability, because I am tempted to buy one or two at $99 just to have. If they work.

I find it interesting that most people in general (and certainly here) wouldn't ridicule folks for driving an old reliable beater car. But I see lots of people making fun of the Hi-Point. If it's crap, it deserves ridicule. If it's just big and ugly, but cheap, that's a different matter. And I get the thug association, but the Glock "for-tay" has that same thug association.

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They work, but why bother? Just because it's cheap doesn't mean it's a good deal.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

Oddly enough in my short 12 years I have never encountered one.
Yet, the 1st gun I ever pulled off someone was a Coonan what are the chances of that.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25422 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I once saw a show on the outdoor channel where they were trying to blow up a highpoint 9 mm with overloaded hand loads. They stacked a 124 gr bullet with a compressed charge; I mean filled to the top with BULLSEYE powder and the gun took it. After about five such charges, the gun locked up but didn't blow up. Of course they had it remotely triggered.

Posts: 394 | Location: Florida Gulf Coast | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anubismp:
The ergos are terrible as everything was massively oversized which, if I had to guess, is from using crap materials/components (you need more plastic/pot metal to do the job of a piece of a smaller piece of quality steel).

They have huge, heavy slides because ALL of them are blowback action guns.

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post

Ps I do own the 9mm carbine and am well satisfied with it.

Posts: 4411 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Before there was a Hi-Point there was Bryco_Jennings. A Jennings would fire when the trigger was pulled and sometimes when it wasn't.Civil suits took care of that company. Point being Bryco-Jennings had their defenders, the company was in business for a couple of decades but the guns were still American made junk. In the final analysis a Hi-Point would be better than not having a gun at all and if they are truly junk they will go the way of Bryco-Jennings.

NRA Benefactor

Posts: 106 | Location: State of Confusion | Registered: July 05, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post