Find
Notify
Tools

P320 X5 Login/Join 
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted
Is the X5 really worth the money? Or should I save my money and just get a regular full size 320?

Posts: 7398 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
In my opinion, its worth it. I had two P320 Compacts, then I bought an X-Carry and and X5. A few weeks later, the P320 Compacts were sold off.

I'm very happy with my X-5, only complaint is the front sight is a little too narrow for me.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth.

Bruce Gray on P320 X-5

"The P320X5 was designed for competitive shooting, and it is invariably most positively assessed and compared to other pistols by those with the interest and skill to know what it is capable of.
In the hands of top shooters like Sgt. Patrick Franks or Max Michel the P320X5 has outcompeted both polymer and metal-framed Production and Carry Optics guns. Sgt. Franks has fired a number of new NRA AP/Production record scores which exceed Metallic scores fired by the best shooters on Earth with the finest 1911’s made. This gun exceeds the high expectations we placed in it when Ron signed off on the concept in 2014.

Yeah, but it feels “plasticky” and SIG calls it an X5. Fair enough. For pride of ownership, nothing beats a temperamental, extremely expensive German pistol which isn’t suited to our sports. Fact is, practically speaking these things shoot just about as well as the typical Master Shop gun, and they run. For $129 and 20 minutes following Alma’s video, you can have a better trigger than is available on any other pistol of it’s type.

People who shoot, they get it.

-Bruce"

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
It seems to me you can't really compare the two in an apples to apples comparison. Both could be used in various sport or competition. Both could be carried if you're so inclined with the X-5 (I read a post by someone who carried an X-5 on duty I believe).

It seems, though, the two guns are built for two different purposes. Both could be fun and enjoyable at the range, but they are designed for different uses.

For the extra money, just looking at the components, with the X-5 you get adjustable rear sights, optic front sights, flat trigger, X-5 grip module, four 21 round magazines, and long barrel (5" vs 4.7"). The X-5 is perhaps more accurate, perhaps. Perhaps it has a better trigger, perhaps.

For me the X-5 module fits my hand better, or at least feels better for me. I have a Nitron Carry and swapped out the grip module to the X-Carry module and am happier with the feel of the gun.

So, like in many cases, the question hinges on "what are you planning to do with it." It also depends on "what do you like" and "are the added feature" of the X-5 worth the MSRP difference of around $400.

Personally, I would not be planning to carry a full size gun. I do not compete at present. I just go to the range and shoot, and I value accuracy and how the gun functions and feels when shoots. I've owned "standard" full size 9mms and "target" full size 9mm and since I'm not planning to carry it, I'll go with the latter at the range if I have the choice.

I have several P320s now. One is for carry, one is a VTAC because is was nearly new and at a good price and full size with the X-Carry grip module. If I were planning on buying another, and I likely will, it will be the X-5.

You could buy the full-size and spend "some" extra money to change out some components, without spending the full difference for the X-5 out of the box. You wouldn't get an X-5, but you might get the gun you want cheaper than the out of the box X-5.

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't have a p320 full size, but I can tell you what I think of my P320 X5, which I bought about 10 days ago. The primary reasons I purchased it was that I couldn't get my hands on a p210, which I really wanted, and it's built in red dot capability which the p210 doesn't have.

I have made 3 range trips with it - I like the grip fit, the excellent sights and its accuracy. But, I think Sig should have done a better job with the trigger, as the X5 is marketed as a competition gun. To me the trigger has a long, rough and somewhat hard pull. I don't have a trigger weight gauge, but I am estimating it at 7 pounds or so. Maybe OK for quick shooting gun games, but not conducive to great accuracy if you are more used to slow fire bullseye and also shoot a S&W 41 and a 52. To me, even My M11 A1 has a better trigger than the X5.

Was if worth it? At this point I am not sure. If the trigger improves somewhat through break-in, and/or if the Gray Guns competition trigger job is effective, maybe. This gun was about $550 less than the p210. Which I think I will still buy one day when they are more available....

Posts: 18 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
ammoholic
Picture of drtenb330
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^I feel very much the same. I have the X5 Full Size, the X5 VTAC, and the regular 320's (5 FCUs; 2 - 45's {compact & full size}, 3 - 9mms {one full size, one compact, one carry}).

I switched out the grips on the three regular 9mm 320's b/c I like the feel so much (including one full size w/weights, and a full size grip w/o the weight & funnel). I have one FS w/weight/funnel and a tungsten guide rod & 1 for carrying w/o all the extras - yes, I do compete and shoot very often. The 320 carry has become one of the easiest and most accurate guns I own.
I've switched out a bunch of guide/rods & springs, triggers, larger mag releases. the whole 320 has become, for me at least, an excellent platform.
The X5 full size straight trigger is a bit rough, and I am switching it out with a GG trigger, and I've been putting rounds through it - which has definitely helped.
For carry - along with the "enhanced" carry, I did the same for a FS - GG curved trigger, fat guide rod & spring, Springer mag release - both the FS & Carry's are incredibly forgiving, accurate, and perform fine as a carry gun.

Posts: 1632 | Location: Miami Beach, Florida | Registered: December 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post